What's new

Dorco Atra Compatable Cartridges

It's been years since I've used my Atra handle. Dollar General carries their brand of cartridges, and the back said they were made in South Korea, so that probably means they're Dorco. I'm not a big fan of Dorco blades. I have some DE Dorcos that I could probably enter in a tractor pull. But these set me back all of $1.75 for five, so why not?

Very first stroke was a familiar Dorco experience. It only lasted for that stroke. The rest of the shave was smooth. Long lasting, too. It impressed me so much that I used it again today.

This is making me take a hard look at my shaving choices. The price works out to 35 cents a cartridge, which isn't bad. I'm paying about 75 cents a blade for Schick Injector. Will see how well this cartridge holds up, but it has me going. "Hmm."

Enjoy them while you can. Dorco stopped making the Atra replacements. I believe you can still get them through Dollar Shave Club but they arent available on Amazon anymore and Dorco no longer sells directly from their website.

So it goes. I went back to SE and tried DE when my stock of DG Sensor compatible cartridges started running out. :blue:

Those carts were my wife's favorites and I used to buy them in bulk directly from dorco, when I combined bulk prices with discount codes I was getting them for under $0.30 per cart and they last her two weeks per cart of daily use and she is now down to her last 5 pack of blades. She didn't like the personna blade carts that fit the atra handle and didn't like the non-pivoting head of the bic sensitive so I've got a Gillette guard stashed away for her to try... If that doesn't work I fear she will have to go the route of blue twin blade disposables.

She does agree that the 'blade wars' are real and thinks huge flexible multi blade carts with all the bells and whistles are stupid BUT she also doesn't feel safe with a DE/SE and really prefers a pivot (I totally understand) so we've split the difference with razors like these.

Just be advised that Dollar General has discontinued the Dorco-made twin blade cartridges so if your store still has any and you like them, grab them quick.

Top Bottom