What's new

Don't you think there should be a dedicated threads for electric shaving?

I'm old enough that I started shaving with an Ever-Ready 1912 type razor. Then a few years later I tried an electric razor (Sunbeam) and I like it. But I always enjoyed wet shaving more. I used the electric mostly, only because it was less effort and faster. Most of my life I used an electric. Then I discovered B&B in 2011 and I went back to wet shaving and have not looked back since. I love it.

I would say theres simply not enough people on here who are interested in electric razors. It would be a dead subforum.
I personally dont mind electrics and would probably use one as my daily driver if I didnt love the nostalgia of my brush, soap and DE but I would say that most people who are on B&B and more interested in DE shaving.
Id even say that if it were for the 2 or 3 straight razor fanatics who were have on there, it would be nothing but talk about DE shaving.

Yes. All points of view and shaving practice should be aired on a shaving forum, whether most of us follow the practice of electric shaving or not.

BTW does anyone know what rough percentage of the population in the USA shaves daily with an electric? I have no idea.

giphy.gif

Yes. All points of view and shaving practice should be aired on a shaving forum, whether most of us follow the practice of electric shaving or not.

BTW does anyone know what rough percentage of the population in the USA shaves daily with an electric? I have no idea.
I thought this is a "wet shaving" forum, as much as I hate the term. I prefer traditional shaving
So I guess you could include electrics that are shower safe. Otherwise, I don't see the point. It's called badger and blade for a reason. There is really no interest in a generic electric razor forum, unless maybe vintage. Maybe we should add an electric beard trimmer forum too. Not really much to talk about. "#1.5 comb or 2? Which do you prefer? "Just my 2 cents. You would probably get more traction on a pube and ball shaving section, to be honest. 🌞🌞😂

I thought this is a "wet shaving" forum, as much as I hate the term. I prefer traditional shaving
So I guess you could include electrics that are shower safe. Otherwise, I don't see the point. It's called badger and blade for a reason. There is really no interest in a generic electric razor forum, unless maybe vintage. Maybe we should add an electric beard trimmer forum too. Not really much to talk about. "#1.5 comb or 2? Which do you prefer? "Just my 2 cents.
Brother Juno,
This part of the forum is entitled General Shaving Discussion. I don't see why electric shaving wouldn't occasionally fit in.

The original post was asking for a specific "thread section" which i read as subforum. Maybe I misread it. Anyway, I dont really care either way. I just dont think it will be popular.

Yes there should definitely be a thread only for electric shavers, go start one and see if it becomes popular.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

No objection to a sub-forum if enough interest. My first razor was an electric in 62 or 63 given to me by a stepdad who shaved with a SuperSpeed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was mom who wanted (or nagged) him to buy it for me. By the fall of 1964, I was away in college and switched to an injector. My issues with an electric was always that, unless you shave daily, an electric tears the hairs out. Maybe they've gotten better over the last 60 years. If so, why not a sub-forum.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
No objection to a sub-forum if enough interest. My first razor was an electric in 62 or 63 given to me by a stepdad who shaved with a SuperSpeed. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was mom who wanted (or nagged) him to buy it for me. By the fall of 1964, I was away in college and switched to an injector. My issues with an electric was always that, unless you shave daily, an electric tears the hairs out. Maybe they've gotten better over the last 60 years. If so, why not a sub-forum.
My experience exactly at the same time.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah, yes - the Norelco Zitmaker!

You can "shave" with it forever! No cleaning, sharpening, shaving cream or aftershave. Just Clearasil.

AA

The original post was asking for a specific "thread section" which i read as subforum. Maybe I misread it. Anyway, I dont really care either way. I just dont think it will be popular.

What difference does it make? Yeah, it's Badger and Blade, but what's wrong with allowing people to discuss all aspects of shaving here? And don't forget that there are some electric razors that are designed to be used with water. Not only that we have sub threads about cigar and pipe smoking, clothing, cooking. I will agree that there will not likely be a whole lot of activity but that doesn't mean one shouldn't exist. In fact, just the existence of one might bring a whole slew of people out who use electric razors that we didn't even know existed. You know. "Build it and he will come." Uh oh. I've done it now. I'm gonna cry now. That movie makes me cry every time...... Anyway. Frankly, I think I could benefit from one on certain areas of my body. A sub forum would provide me with a new resource with which to find out more about it and which device would suit my needs the best. So, I say, bring on the Electric Razor sub forum/thread/whatever.

Last edited:
What difference does it make? Yeah, it's Badger and Blade, but what's wrong with allowing people to discuss all aspects of shaving here? And don't forget that there are some electric razors that are designed to be used with water. Not only that we have sub threads about cigar and pipe smoking, clothing, cooking. I will agree that there will not likely be a whole lot of activity but that doesn't mean one shouldn't exist. In fact, just the existence of one might bring a whole slew of people out who use electric razors that we didn't even know existed. You know. "Build it and he will come." Uh oh. I've done it now. I'm gonna cry now. That movie makes me cry every time...... Anyway. Frankly, I think I could benefit from one on certain areas of my body. A sub forum would provide me with a new resource with which to find out more about it and which device would suit my needs the best. So, I say, bring on the Electric Razor sub forum/thread/whatever.

Totally forgot about the clothing, cooking, drinking, etc subs.... This is a shaving forum yet people are arguing against an electric sub when we've got a slew of significantly less relevant content already being discussed. Good call, I completely forgot about those areas

Totally forgot about the clothing, cooking, drinking, etc subs.... This is a shaving forum yet people are arguing against an electric sub when we've got a slew of significantly less relevant content already being discussed. Good call, I completely forgot about those areas
All those are in sub forums which are a lot bigger than the Modern Shaving Systems sub forum {currently only 18 pages} which contains threads for electric shavers and cartridges. The need for a dedicated electric shaver sub forum has still not been justified.
You can still have dedicated threads to electric shavers in the Modern Shaving System forum.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It wouldn't be Christmas (or a Christmas memory) without the Burl Ives-voiced snowman riding around on a Norelco ... (In the animated classic, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer).

That said. If whiskers are 3x harder when dry ... And the blades "never need sharpening" ... It explains why you need a new Norelco each Christmas!

AA

I’m honestly curious what would be discussed on an electric forum. I have no idea how often new models come out, but all I can think of is threads like “is the new Braun worth upgrading?” There really wouldn’t be debates about if a 1993 Remington is superior to a 2020 Norelco, would there?

All I know is foil razors burn my neck something fierce and rotary razors don’t shave that closely. Maybe something about the wet/dry Panasonic razors would interest me for about 1 thread...

It wouldn't be Christmas (or a Christmas memory) without the Burl Ives-voiced snowman riding around on a Norelco ... (In the animated classic, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer).

That said. If whiskers are 3x harder when dry ... And the blades "never need sharpening" ... It explains why you need a new Norelco each Christmas!

AA

Dual edge sword here (regardless of talking blades, Electrics, whatever):

Dry hair is 'harder' therefore more difficult to cut, dry hair is also 'stiffer' and more receptive to being cut as it won't flex/bend and will remain rigid. This has the possibility to cause pulling but also has the possibility to cause a a cleaner cut as the hair is less likely to move.

Wet/hydrated hair is 'softer' therefore easier to cut, wet hair also flexes/bends regardless of how sharp your blade/device is causing it to be pushed down when the blade passes over it. This has the possibility of feeling smoother as the hairs are more receptive to being cut but also has the possibility of pulling as the hair flattens out and the blade grabs the side of the hair shaft.

Neither is better or worse, just different.

Or, let's look at it this way:

Have you ever cut down a tree with an axe? If so, imagine the difference between a dry rigid tree trunk and a wet floppy water logged tree... Big difference in terms of effort, efficacy, and 'cleaness' of final cut.

I’m honestly curious what would be discussed on an electric forum. I have no idea how often new models come out, but all I can think of is threads like “is the new Braun worth upgrading?” There really wouldn’t be debates about if a 1993 Remington is superior to a 2020 Norelco, would there?

If you have no idea what would be discussed on an electric forum, why are you commenting on a thread for an electric razor sub forum?

Top Bottom