What's new

Don't you think there should be a dedicated threads for electric shaving?

I am surprised there is no dedicated thread section for electric shavers.. Am I the only one who would like to see this? Under Modern Shaving, they have discussions about the Mach Fusion as well as electric shavers.i think it would be nice if they created a dedicated electric shsver section on this web site.

As a former electric shaver for most of my life I hear you. When I was a kid my dad tried to show me how to use a DE Gillette, but he didn't really know what he was doing, so his thing was 'have a lot of toilet paper at the ready' When I was about 17 I got a hold of a graveyard of Remingtons from an uncle who passed away. They nicked like hell. I went on to Norelcos. I've always had an either hate or despise relationship with shaving. Ten years ago I would have given anything to have my .facial hair follice's removed. I used to dry electric shave but my skin which is dry and sensitive was always a problem. I've been a member of Dollar shave, love their other grooming products, but the multiblade cartridges seem to pull and were not good for my skin. The closest I came to enjoying shaving was using a foil based electric shaver 'wet'. Incredibly close, and comfortable, the last straw for me was when a shaver I was enjoying crapped out after 90 days use and I realized I never had an electric shaver last more than about two years. I took the plunge and purchased the Supply 2.0 injector and with a nice brush and nice soap, I actually look forward to shaving.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Jason, I could say the same about Chinese straight razors, but I don't.

Where would it end?

Yeah. I don't see why not. That is a category all it's own. It doesn't matter that the first razor my father ever gave me as a teen was his used Remington electric razor. I tried using it a couple times and quickly realized it did pretty much nothing other than irritate my face. So, yeah, it's a device that deserves its own section. As for chinese straight razors, I think someone's been smoking something. It's merely a subcategory of straights. And not a particularly interesting one at that. I'd say that category, chinese straights, ends right here and now. :001_tt2:

I don't think so. Not enough people around here that use them or care to do so. I think such a forum would fizzle out pretty quickly. It is kind of like asking for a subforum dedicated to Casio digital watches on a watch forum that focuses on expensive automatics. It's not that the Casio won't keep time, it's just that the people on the watch forum don't care whether it does or does not.

I am surprised there is no dedicated thread section for electric shavers.. Am I the only one who would like to see this? Under Modern Shaving, they have discussions about the Mach Fusion as well as electric shavers.i think it would be nice if they created a dedicated electric shsver section on this web site.

As a fellow Electric guy who occasionally floats to other areas of this forum I do see where you are coming from. The only problem (which we are facing already in the threads we've got going about Electrics) is the number of members and relevant content. We've got way less in terms of pre and post shave treatments (besides soaps, creams, brushes, and splashes, all of which already have dedicated threads), pretty much only have 3-4 worthwhile companies tops who are making basically 1 of 2 different designs (rotary or foil), and don't have as much exploration of technique to discuss. In the last year we've gained maybe 2-3 members who actively participate in Electric razor related threads in addition to the maybe 10-15 we already had discussing them... I wouldn't be surprised if we gain 2-3 members every day or two solely for/due to safety razors and another 2-3 members every month for straight razors.

It's just lack of content and participation unfortunately.

Also, to look at it from a different point of view, most people post about perfecting technique, rotating set ups, and ever growing collections... We don't have to worry about any of that! We simply push a button and get great shaves, all the blade guys are jealous ;)

As a fellow Electric guy who occasionally floats to other areas of this forum I do see where you are coming from. The only problem (which we are facing already in the threads we've got going about Electrics) is the number of members and relevant content. We've got way less in terms of pre and post shave treatments (besides soaps, creams, brushes, and splashes, all of which already have dedicated threads), pretty much only have 3-4 worthwhile companies tops who are making basically 1 of 2 different designs (rotary or foil), and don't have as much exploration of technique to discuss. In the last year we've gained maybe 2-3 members who actively participate in Electric razor related threads in addition to the maybe 10-15 we already had discussing them... I wouldn't be surprised if we gain 2-3 members every day or two solely for/due to safety razors and another 2-3 members every month for straight razors.

Also, to look at it from a different point of view, most people post about perfecting technique, rotating set ups, and ever growing collections... We don't have to worry about any of that! We simply push a button and get great shaves, all the blade guys are jealous ;)
Oh, I've tried them before. Not jealous.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Jason, I could say the same about Chinese straight razors, but I don't.

Where would it end?

I do think we have one rbscebu. (Seriously)

The electric shave threads come up sometimes around the start of April and then vanish.

Really I think if there was enough interest a forum would be established. I really do think it would be a huge uphill battle but who knows.

I can see it now. BB&B

Badger, Blade & Braun
It does have a certain zing to it [emoji16]. Seriously though I do get a smooth comfortable shave from either of my Braun Series-7, or Series-9 shavers when I don't have time to use a DE.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Oh maybe. Ive tried a few and all wreck my skin. Always wanted to be able use one if I was in a rush, but they make me look like I had an allergic reaction.

Oh maybe. Ive tried a few and all wreck my skin. Always wanted to be able use one if I was in a rush, but they make me look like I had an allergic reaction.

I had this when I first started with Electrics and my thoughts matched many of the 'anti-electric' people around here. I stuck with it though and the situation improved dramatically. The whole concept of a transition period or 'letting your skin/hair adjust' is absolutely real. You will get much worse shaves before you start to get better ones. Most people ditch them after a week or stick with it a few months while alternating between blades and Electrics, this doesn't work. Just like learning traditional wet shaving for the first time: pick a tool, find a method, and stick with it. Perseverance pays off. This is where most people would argue that if you are following the same practice to just use a blade but I tried... They really don't work for me. I stuck with DE and SE shaving for several years, tried far to many different razors, blades, lathers, etc to always end up with either a consistent shave with irritation or a patchy shave with barely less irritation. My hair grows so fast and flat against my skin that I get ingrowns even from not shaving (the hair will curl and grown back in even after it's already been above skin level for a few days). Electrics consistently give me the closest shave, the most even shave, the fastest shave, and the least irritating shave.

The whole concept of a transition period or 'letting your skin/hair adjust' is absolutely real. You will get much worse shaves before you start to get better ones.
That was my understanding; there is a period of adjusting to the electric razor. I also understood that electric pre-shave helps but I am not sure it is necessary.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
To create a sub-forum there has to be enough interest to make it worthwhile. If you search electric razors by title only there is just not enough interest to do it.

Thanks for your thoughts and feel free to start all the discussion you want on electrics in Modern Shaving Systems.

Top Bottom