What's new

Don't Waste Your Time Even Thinking About Getting Into Straight Razor Shaving!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So, you have been thinking about trying out this SR shaving thing. Let me tell you, you are a fool for doing so. Here is why:
  • It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. You can guess the reason.
  • It takes what seems like forever to perform just a single pass in SR shaving.
  • Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying.
  • SRs cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance.
  • Edge maintenance adds time and/or cost to your overall shaving routine.
  • SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is also the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing.
  • It can become an addictive habit, just like illicit drugs.
  • Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society.
Hopefully you have now seen the light and the cost of vintage SRs will soon return to normal.

Last edited:
These fears about SR shaving are completely overblown...

jake.jpg

So, you have been thinking about trying out this SR shaving thing. Let me tell you, you are a fool for doing so. Here is why:
  • It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. You can guess the reason.
  • Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying.
  • SRs cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance.
  • SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is also the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing.
  • Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society.
Hopefully you have now seen the light and the cost of vintage SRs will soon return to normal.
You make some very good points.

I suppose you could add that honing a razor is manual labour and unseemly for a gentleman.

Back in the day when it was common for one’s manservant to possess honing skills this wasn’t an insurmountable problem. But these days things are different. The only solution I have found is to purchase a 7-day set of razors and then at least you can shave for a few months before you need to purchase another 7-day set that is sharp. I’m open to suggestions as this is becoming quite expensive.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can't see a law banning SR shaving working. It would be like prohibition or illicit drugs. Perhaps needing a very expensive and hard to obtain licence to obtain and posses a SR. Then a heavy tax on each shave performed. That would probably have to work on the honour system (like taxes in the Philippines).

Ok.

My passion for old-school face and neck scraping only goes as far as DE, so you'll get no argument (or competition) from me.

🙂🙂🙂

I can't see a law banning SR shaving working. It would be like prohibition or illicit drugs. Perhaps needing a very expensive and hard to obtain licence to obtain and posses a SR. Then a heavy tax on each shave performed. That would probably have to work on the honour system (like taxes in the Philippines).
If we can’t make straight razor shaving illegal, how about if we make it frowned upon instead? That should do the trick.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If we can’t make straight razor shaving illegal, how about if we make it frowned upon instead? That should do the trick.
The main thing is to help prevent fine people from making one of the biggest mistakes in their lives. All who know the truth about SR shaving need to pull together to save all the others.

I should know as I approach my 1,000th SR shave. I am poorer in both time and money, addicted and still have not fully mastered my technique. Having purchased and honed over 70 SRs, I am ashamed of the environmental destruction that I am causing.

The main thing is to help prevent fine people from making one of the biggest mistakes in their lives. All who know the truth about SR shaving need to pull together to save all the others.

I should know as I approach my 1,000th SR shave. I am poorer in both time and money, addicted and still have not fully mastered my technique. Having purchased and honed over 70 SRs, I am ashamed of the environmental destruction that I am causing.
Gosh, yes. And imagine if everybody started straight razor shaving. Before you know it all the world’s stones would be worn away honing razors. The mighty Himalayas would be reduced to a few round pebbles and some gravel. They would definitely have to make it illegal then, but it would be too late. The planet would have become completely smooth, the reflections from the sun would be blinding, and, what’s worse, our stubble would still grow back again the next day and it would all have been for nothing.

I wish I hadn’t read this thread now. It’s really bumming me out.

Top Bottom