What's new

Don't Waste Your Time Even Thinking About Getting Into Straight Razor Shaving!

It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. You can guess the reason. I worked/lived in Honduras :) I will do it blindfolded and with my wrong hand and be safer :)

It takes what seems like forever to perform just a single pass in SR shaving. has to be faster than unwrapping and putting in those DE blades I reckon :)

Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying. just do like the movies have some lady go really fast on your face as you talk to her seems easy enough :)

SRs cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance. so more than Titanium wolf ? I'M IN !

Edge maintenance adds time and/or cost to your overall shaving routine. back to unwrapping those thin little blades :)

SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is also the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing. mono-cropping is worse :)

It can become an addictive habit, just like illicit drugs. never did drugs never will I am safe from this shaving addiction :)

Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society. haahhaah I already am

I have 10 SRs that were owned by now dead people. Must be some morbid fascination I have developed from SR shaving.

SR shaving can also be detrimental to one's social conscience.
I only have four razors where I'm certain the original owner is still alive including 3 Gold dollars that need major work before use.

I have a few others where the original owner could possibly still be looking at golf balls from the top. Most of my razors don't fall into the previous categories though.

And I'm not bothered about it. I consider it my civic duty to keep these lethal objects away from the general population.

I can't see a law banning SR shaving working. It would be like prohibition or illicit drugs. Perhaps needing a very expensive and hard to obtain licence to obtain and posses a SR. Then a heavy tax on each shave performed. That would probably have to work on the honour system (like taxes in the Philippines).
Yes as soon as you start outlawing SR shaving a black market will pop up. You know than there will be conspiracy theories that Gillette instigated the laws against SR shaving.

I heard that barbers used to be prosecuted for using a SR on their clients since it was such a dangerous device. That's why nowadays they are using shavettes :001_tt2:

I haven't given up on my straight razors yet and one day when I reach my limit with the DE razors, I will return to them. My main issue with the straight razors is that no matter how sharp they are, they still feel kinda dull to me and while I can most definitely notice the difference between a few razors owned by different people and me, it's still kinda uncomfortable to me to shave with them and for now at least I keep them stored in a nice and dry place and I check them from time to time to see what are they doing :D.

I had the same experience with mine, on my 1st period of traditional shaving (2009-2013), although i've always appreciated these kind of razors.

To me, the only problem of SR is the honing : you must master it to get the full potential of them. And once you get it, the dull feeling should disappear.

But to reach that master level, i think several stones with different grains are needed. (4000k/6000k and then 8000k. Or 12000k, that's even better !)

I bought my Thiers-Issard Sheffield "Wolf & Ram" shave-ready but i had to send it back to the factory for a re-sharpening. (i didn't have stones)

I still remember the shave i had with it when it came back !

And i know some guys who have been using SR for many years that can hone these razors even better than the professional brands. And they always have several stones... 🧐

The stones can be seriously hazardous too. Anyone who saw the movies 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact will be familiar with the havoc Black Arkansas novaculites can wreak.

28C13620-BC38-48F5-855D-AD5A14029285.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So, you have been thinking about trying out this SR shaving thing. Let me tell you, you are a fool for doing so. Here is why:
  • It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. You can guess the reason.
  • It takes what seems like forever to perform just a single pass in SR shaving.
  • Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying.
  • SRs cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance.
  • Edge maintenance adds time and/or cost to your overall shaving routine.
  • SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is also the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing.
  • It can become an addictive habit, just like illicit drugs.
  • Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society.
Hopefully you have now seen the light and the cost of vintage SRs will soon return to normal.

Wise words! I am so glad that I avoided straight razor shaving. Truth is, I am deathly afraid of a straight razor blade, and I don't even trust myself with one, especially around my neck. I mean, with a DE blade, you could give yourself a few weepers, to bring fourth crimson flowing rivers. But a straight razor could send you to the hospital!

For those of you who have actually mastered a straight razor, and use one like a PRO barber, I commend you, I do! Because I know myself well, and I would never be able to master it. And, I am also glad that you brought up the strops, the honing, the blade restoring, your going to be several thousand in the hole before you know it.

I am glad that you've seen the light. No, really, its a powerful stage light, oops, sorry, I left it on, let me turn it off. Flips switch. Well aint that the pits, now I can't even see. 😝

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
The stones can be seriously hazardous too. Anyone who saw the movies 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact will be familiar with the havoc Black Arkansas novaculites can wreak.

View attachment 1459855

Step away from the Obalisc! Whatever you do, don't touch it. Great, and there you went ahead and had to touch it. Well, there goes the lords security deposit.

Hear Hear.
The other alternative to SR ownership and bragging on B&B is owning a Big Dog, Big Truck or Loud Motorbike it should have the same impact !

Wise words! I am so glad that I avoided straight razor shaving. Truth is, I am deathly afraid of a straight razor blade, and I don't even trust myself with one, especially around my neck. I mean, with a DE blade, you could give yourself a few weepers, to bring fourth crimson flowing rivers. But a straight razor could send you to the hospital!

For those of you who have actually mastered a straight razor, and use one like a PRO barber, I commend you, I do! Because I know myself well, and I would never be able to master it. And, I am also glad that you brought up the strops, the honing, the blade restoring, your going to be several thousand in the hole before you know it.

I am glad that you've seen the light. No, really, its a powerful stage light, oops, sorry, I left it on, let me turn it off. Flips switch. Well aint that the pits, now I can't even see. 😝
Somebody sounds like me 2 years ago... :whistling:

Top Bottom