What's new

"Don't Live in the Past" Gillette

Wow, that is funny. I like how in the bennifits table they have a few words for straights, and an essay for cartridges :lol:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very interesting
And funny to note way down at the bottom left in related products is Gillette double edge blades for sale!
Living in the past?

Fascinating! They’re trying to convert straight razor users? Someone needs to tell Gillette that it’s not 1903 anymore.

Interesting. I never could get a month's worth of shaves from any cartridge. And the practice that a straight (or DE) requires isn't all that much. Irritation? I had more when using cartridges. I am all for whatever works best for each individual. However, cartridges were a significant step backwards for me.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

That's funny. I'm surprised Gillette didn't post a picture at the bottom of that chart of a guy bleeding out on the floor from a cut he got with a straight.

I don't see the kerfluffel. It's not aimed at straight razor users. It's aimed at consumers browsing their site. In fact it may have a few guys try a straight razor. It does present a honest list of cons and a marketing set of pros. Yes I do use a straight daily and have for 40+ years

I don't see the kerfluffel. It's not aimed at straight razor users. It's aimed at consumers browsing their site. In fact it may have a few guys try a straight razor. It does present a honest list of cons and a marketing set of pros. Yes I do use a straight daily and have for 40+ years
Yes, there is a 2 percent or less chance it is as you say. I’ve read about the interest of men in using a SR.

Hopefully we are ready to make the path as smooth as possible as @steveclarkus did for me.

Yes, there is a 2 percent or less chance it is as you say. I’ve read about the interest of men in using a SR.

Hopefully we are ready to make the path as smooth as possible as @steveclarkus did for me.

I don't understand your response. I think there has been a spike in SR sales(Skyfall, AoS availability) but for daily use I don't think you will see them gain traction. Most of the growth will probably be in the salon and barber businesses as men try to have their own "spa" experience.

I don't understand your response. I think there has been a spike in SR sales(Skyfall, AoS availability) but for daily use I don't think you will see them gain traction. Most of the growth will probably be in the salon and barber businesses as men try to have their own "spa" experience.
I have no personal knowledge of how it is in the USA, but I take your word for it. However in the Northern outpost of Europe, called Sweden, where I live you find a shaving store with good assortment in every town with more than 50.000 inhabitants. In the larger cities there are plenty of newly opened barbershops. I'd say that at least one out of ten men have found their way (back) into DE razors and I often get questions regarding straight razors.

I have no personal knowledge of how it is in the USA, but I take your word for it. However in the Northern outpost of Europe, called Sweden, where I live you find a shaving store with good assortment in every town with more than 50.000 inhabitants. In the larger cities there are plenty of newly opened barbershops. I'd say that at least one out of ten men have found their way (back) into DE razors and I often get questions regarding straight razors.

I think that the biggest growth is in shaving subscription services and men's grooming services. In the US nowhere near 10% of the adult male population has switched to DE's. If you have that high a conversion rate...congrats

To me this add is akin to something from early 1900's. Most people start with a cartridge, that's all I ever knew until I was into my 20s (I'm 32 now). DEs and SRs were something I saw on TV and in movies, not something that actually still existed. Yes there is a renewed interest, but that renewed interest is people that willingly chose to go to SR and knew, to some extent, what was required. Unless there is an entire generation coming up using SRs I see this as a semi-laughable article.

I think that the biggest growth is in shaving subscription services and men's grooming services. In the US nowhere near 10% of the adult male population has switched to DE's. If you have that high a conversion rate...congrats

Young family men are beginning to question the high cost of shaving. I gave my SIL a ‘56 Red Tip last Spring and some Astra blades and now that all he uses.

Malls have shave specific stores now. Knife stores carry Boker straights.

The vocal and contributing members here are consistently being asked for information. These are young men. There are females interested as well. The modern stuff is plastic junk and they know it.

There are also members and watchers here getting the information they need to vintage shave. Maybe you don’t but if you visit the SE and DE forums, new members are coming here daily. It’s no long a niche practice.

To me this add is akin to something from early 1900's. Most people start with a cartridge, that's all I ever knew until I was into my 20s (I'm 32 now). DEs and SRs were something I saw on TV and in movies, not something that actually still existed. Yes there is a renewed interest, but that renewed interest is people that willingly chose to go to SR and knew, to some extent, what was required. Unless there is an entire generation coming up using SRs I see this as a semi-laughable article.
Little is required. It’s made more complicated than is needed by some old farts with attitudes.

Get a pack of films and follow the burr method and you are doing except for learning to strop which takes a week.

Top Bottom