What's new

Don’t know what to think of AE retro brush

I don’t know what to think of this brush I just got. I got this from AE (shavingshopclub.com) and it’s their retro brush (24mm 2 band). Has anyone else used this and what is your experience. For me, it’s a bit much but I do have a smaller face. It’s super thick but very soft and plush with some backbone but I just couldn’t dial it in. I’m kind of having buyer’s remorse now and wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. I do love AE/shavingshopclub products though.
proxy.php

I don’t know what to think of this brush I just got. I got this from AE (shavingshopclub.com) and it’s their retro brush (24mm 2 band). Has anyone else used this and what is your experience. For me, it’s a bit much but I do have a smaller face. It’s super thick but very soft and plush with some backbone but I just couldn’t dial it in. I’m kind of having buyer’s remorse now and wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. I do love AE/shavingshopclub products though.
proxy.php

I dont have experience with it but I love it. It does however remind me a lot of my CMON reproduction for heritage collection.

It looks like a very high loft for a badger. My experience with high lofted badger is that it eats up and doesn't release lather very well. I like badgers within 50mm to 53mm range of loft.

I have one, the badger version. I love the "barber" style handles in shave brushes so I picked it up. The loft is a bit higher than I am used too but I haven't had any issues with it eating lather. I leave that job to my Zenith boar... lol. I have used my A&E badger about 10 times or so and have enjoyed it so far. No issues with making a solid lather. (I only face lather.)

One thing I forgot to mention is its on the larger side of 24mm. Its more like a 28 when its broken in and spreads out. Try loading a little heavier next time and see what kind of results you get.

...I’m kind of having buyer’s remorse...

Don't. You learned something important here. Big brushes aren't your thing and high loft brushes aren't either.

Think stout and pay attention to the numbers. This a a plain ol' Maggard's 22mm in a G3 handle. 2X diameter to loft. Think Beast Mode.

g3-with-maggards-knot-and-sloc-jpg.1032336

Last edited:
Top Bottom