What's new

Don't know if I will go back to DE shaves.

I got a shavette, I am really impressed. BBS in two passes instead of four with the safety razor. Anyone know why I get so close with the shavette, Im still using the same blades?

Because it's a straight with really sharp blades :lol:

But seriously straights (and shavettes) have no guard whatsoever to get in the way. The lather stays on your face until the exact moment the blade hits your stubble, making it nice and smooth, and you can adjust angle to get anything from barely removing hair to removing flesh (though if you pick that you've got issues). That's my take on why straights are so nice.

I don't know what a shavette is. Got a picture?

It's just a straight styled razor that takes half a DE blade

This is a posh version, but you can pick them up real cheap.

full

If you think the shavette shave was good, try a proper straight. I have used a shavette quite a few times and in terms of smoothness, they don't come close to a true straight IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also was converted to straights via the Shavette. I had two (the stainless and the black plastic one--unlike everyone else I liked the plastic one. LOTS of feedback). Anyway, you're getting such a close shave because you can control the angle to blade is at the entire time you shave, so if you're skilled with a blade you can optimize the razor's performance throughout the shave. Enjoy!

Straight razors and that Shavette thing scare me to death. :scared::117::em19:

[George H.W. Bush voice]Not gonna do it.[/Geroge H.W. Bush voice]:frown2:

Same blade, but now you have full control of the angle. You can get as aggressive as you want. Atleast that's my opinion, but YMMV

I've been using a str8 on and off for a year or more and I still get better results from a DE. It takes 5 passes for me to get bbs from a DE, the same from a str8, but it's more bitty, less consistently good and takes 30 mins.

Same blade, but now you have full control of the angle. You can get as aggressive as you want. Atleast that's my opinion, but YMMV

You nailed it.

I can't for the life of me get a close shave with a DE safety razor, but a Dovo Shavette with a Merkur blade = BBS.

I shave most often with a straight. My experience with shavettes is that they provide really close shaves but are much more harsh than a real straight.
The blade removes too much skin and so is not an ideal daily shaver. I keep mine as it is good for travel or touching up if a straight has proved that it needs to be honed .

straights are actually quite intuitive- give it a try and don't be scared. DE's prepare you for lessons in pressure and angle which are key to straight shaving, but nothing compares to a well honed REAL straight razor- step aside "shavette's..." :wink:

my first shave ready straight and strop just arrived today. now I need to grow a backbone and try it!!

That's seriously exciting! I can only imagine the feeling, because I am waiting for mine in the mail. I'm a little afriad but super excited.

I'm in your same boat! I ordered a Sanguine XD20 for the heck of it and I love it! I just did shave number two today and my technique was 10 fold better this time around. I can see myself strictly using this once I get better at it.

Dont fear the straight razor, just respect it,
be gentle when you make contact , remember you can make your lather a bit thicker, because the blade makes direct contact, make sure there is absolutely NO side to side movement, and watch out for the ears and nose, alot of people end up cutting their nostrils or earlobes by accident when working on their sideburns or on their moustache

aside from that, remember your blade angle can be as sharp as you want, but you;ll know what you like, make sure its honed and stropped well, and

dont do what my uncle did to me,

if your rinsing the lather off the blade, dont pull it up into the faucet...

just my tips :)

V

VR6ofpain

I bought a st8 not shave ready. Now I need to get it honed. Kind of got stuck on the second part.

I bought a st8 not shave ready. Now I need to get it honed. Kind of got stuck on the second part.

send it out to someone, job done.

And the faucet thing - straight edges are fragile, you ding the edge on the sink and you're going to be sat honing/send it out to be honed to remove the roll or chip.

This is why you should have at least 2.

Top Bottom