What's new

Don't forget your technique!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been a DE enthusiast for about two years. First-year was the wow year! All excitement couldn't believe shaving could be so great.
Then, following the typical journey, getting the first Gillette DE from an antique shop, learning the ropes.

The second year was the year of trials, Fatboy, Schick, Valet, Matador, and zillions of blades to try. All was pure happiness. Then I started getting bad shaves, so I began narrowing the problems. Why was this happening to me? I tried milder blades, different soaps, lather techniques, you name it.

Then I found it; my technique was ****. I guess this is the trap others have fallen into as well. When you start to DE shave, you have respect for the razor, you go gentle, and you get zero pressure. Then as you learn more, you gain speed, but as you gain momentum and security slowly, your technique starts to slip, and you press a little harder.

So I reduced the pressure and started thinking like a noob again, and voila! I got great shaves again.

I just thought I would share this and spare others weeks of bad shaves.

I've been at this quite a while and I still have to remind myself every day to keep the pressure at a minimum.

Then I found it; my technique was ****. I guess this is the trap others have fallen into as well. When you start to DE shave, you have respect for the razor, you go gentle, and you get zero pressure. Then as you learn more, you gain speed, but as you gain momentum and security slowly, your technique starts to slip, and you press a little harder.

So I reduced the pressure and started thinking like a noob again, and voila! I got great shaves again.

While excessive pressure is never good, there is another aspect:
When you shave for years with a straight and only a few times a year with a safety razor, the safety razor technique becomes somewhat rusty.

While it is like learning to ride a bike (you never forget how to), the ideal way to move the razor across the facial skin and a few other tweaks here and there may have to be re-learned or re-discovered.

I noticed this over the last few weeks when I started using the Masamune Nodachi razor that I had just bought.
Like riding a bike, the basics were still there, but I seemed to have forgotten some of the finer points that after a week made for an improved daily BBS shave.

Lesson learnt: never neglect the “other way” to shave for too long.*

B.

* cartridge razors exempted. :thumbdown

While excessive pressure is never good, there is another aspect:
When you shave for years with a straight and only a few times a year with a safety razor, the safety razor technique becomes somewhat rusty.

While it is like learning to ride a bike (you never forget how to), the ideal way to move the razor across the facial skin and a few other tweaks here and there may have to be re-learned or re-discovered.

I noticed this over the last few weeks when I started using the Masamune Nodachi razor that I had just bought.
Like riding a bike, the basics were still there, but I seemed to have forgotten some of the finer points that after a week made for an improved daily BBS shave.

Lesson learnt: never neglect the “other way” to shave for too long.*

B.

* cartridge razors exempted. :thumbdown

Very well spoken my friend.

I’m pretty sure my technique can be improved upon but my Rockwell 6C just works. No other razor I’ve tried feels as smooth. I need to try a SR, no room for errors there.

The beauty of the shave for me is not just the cutting of whiskers. It is the zen of total concentration, where my mind locks in to
the act of shaving only. But, I am human and sometimes other thoughts creep in during the process, and that is when technique (and blade) may slip.
I get the, Dad are you done in there during my shave. That is always good for breaking my concentration. By the way I have three bathrooms so it isn't like I'm holding anyone up.

I would recommend starting off with a good shavette to nail the technique first.

I probably will end up with both, doing research now on what all I should get to start SR shaving. Have read though that SR's can be a bit more forgiving.

I probably will end up with both, doing research now on what all I should get to start SR shaving. Have read though that SR's can be a bit more forgiving.
More forgiving but a bit more heft/weight, but it does not really make a difference your body pulls away if you start cutting yourself.

Top Bottom