What's new

Don’t force your shaves! (Time constraints)

Today I (re)learned a valuable lesson. Don’t force a good shave when you don’t have the time. It seems super obvious but I catch myself every once in a while trying to have a good shave after I get home from work. This is when I shower because I work a dirty job and have kids. Which is why I was trying to get in a good relaxing shave, but I hadn’t really communicated to my better half that I would be doing a triple pass and not be down for a good half hour. Well by the time I started shaving, after all of my pre-shave routine and whatnot, I heard the toddlers being toddlers and my ol’lady getting frustrated so instead of going to my back-up Gillette Tech (which I use for this very reason) I decided to just hurry through my routine with my big *** JR&S spike point, freshly honed and not blunted; which I refuse to do and it cost me. I had learned not to drag that point a long time ago when I suffered a good 2 inch long cat scratch on my right cheek, which is always the easy cheek for me. Well this time instead of dragging it, I straight up stabbed my jaw with it. (I wear glasses and have poor depth perception without them.) I bled about the normal amount I would for a drag point cut so I didn’t worry too much. Swapped over to the Tech though and carried on. Got through my post shave routine which doesn’t involve anything with alcohol or I would have known right then and there not to do what I did next. Which was to proceed in finding and inspecting my little scratch. This little scratch, when my skin was pulled to the side, opened up like a coin purse and immediately started oozing blood. So now I have a liquid bandaid on my face and restructured respect for not only the point of that razor, but the shave itself. Don’t rush it. You’ll end up paying for it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Straight razors, and particularly Spanish point SRs, have a habit of letting you know when you are not doing everything right. I have a Gold Dollar W59 (Spanish point) with the same temperament as your SR.

SRs are great at whetting your concentration.

I only use my straights on weekends when time allows. Lately because we cant go anywhere in NJ I have been using my straights for 3 weeks....its been fun and a learning experience. Monday thru Friday is usually DE shaved only because of time constraints with 3 kids.

Larry

I hear you loud and clear. Shaved with my Henkotsu kamisori two nights ago, too late, too sleepy to be taking that sharp pointed devil on. I‘m still sporting a long scratch on the right lower neck. No blood at least.

There is no such thing as a quick SR shave. If you try to push it for the sake of time it's never going to end well. Either you are going to pay in blood, or you are going to end with a sub-par shave.

When I am pushed for time, I reach for the DE.

Those who reach for DE when pushed for time. How many passes do you do?
If I am pushed for time I do a single quality straight pass WTG.
I do a two-pass shave in both cases, WTG and XTG. I never chase a BBS, my skin don't like it. The DE saves time, no stropping, and I am paranoid about taking care of my straights after a shave. With a DE, a rinse will do. For the same reasons I sometimes use a shavette.

Funny, I learned recently, when I'm tired and rushed it is not worth shaving. My hands are getting so used to moving a SR for shaving. Last time I was in a rush, I pulled out my safety razor and immediately sliced my chin pretty bad because I moved it left to right. I never in 30 years cut myself with a safety razor but now the muscle memory is almost ingrained. I plan to stay the SR course for fear of greater injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can blunt the tip of any straight razor so it is barely visible with the naked eye.
Maybe you should try that;)
Shower and a shave is me time, that has to be made clear. Its not much to ask.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
SR shaving is like making love - neither should be rushed. Nothing rushes me with either. The world can wait!

Top Bottom