What's new

Don't Fear the Feather

After all I'd heard about the mystically sharp Feather blades from Japan, I've been postponing using the ones I'd bought.
The mental image of my face weeping blood from multiple lacerations was more than I could deal with.
(And I'm not afraid of ANYTHING...except bears. Bears scare me.)

Yesterday evening I put on my big boy pants, and loaded up the pre-war Tech with one of the dreaded Feathers.
And shaved.
And survived.
No bleeding.
DFS.

I LOVE these freakin' blades. Shoulda gone there a couple months ago.

Bottom line: If you're on the fence, try 'em.
They might be the best yet that I've used.
YMMV, like always.

Carry on.
;)

Great message. I recently bought a few Feather blades to try them out... but so far they have been nothing more than self-queens. I can justify that only by saying that I'm still searching for a new shave soap and don't want to try too many new things at one time. For the past few years I've been using Dorco blades in a Merkur 23C, and just returned to Wilkinson Sword blades. Perhaps I should borrow your big boy pants this weekend and try out those Feathers!

Last edited:
I've been adding product after product to my shaving routine... I used to just squirt some canned cheap-o cream on from the big box stores, and finish with a disposable double edge...

NOW...I've got pre-shave cream, a pretty huge choice of soaps, or creams, (or Arko) to put on a variety of high quality brushes...
THEN choosing either a modern or vintage D.E. all metal razor, and specific blade, and special washcloth to face-wipe, and alum block to tighten things up after the deed...
THEN...choosing a nice AS from a growing collection of about 15 flavors, and topped off with Talcum powder before feeling "finished"...
I HAVE lost my mind. (SWMBO could be right.)
But the calm overall process and results are SO worth it.
Funny, ain't it?

I've found Feathers to be sharper than many brands, but I can only get two good shaves from them before they dull. My norm is 3-4 shaves per blade with my favorites.

I'm scared of bears, too.

Feathers have become my go to...I am getting consistent shaves (Head Shaver 3 times a week and face 3-4 times) I still occasionally try a different blade but the Feather just works great with my EJ89

I too waited a long time to try out the Feather blades in my sample pack... After a year of waiting I finally tried them and found them to be very pleasant in my feather razor, maybe that was the key for me... Other sharp blades like Personna really cut up my face, but not the feathers.... And even better I was able to get about 8-9 shaves per blade in the three that I'd tried....

Bohemond

There must be more threads on Feather blades than any other subject in some shaving forums...Feather make no special claims about their blades on their Website....I have used just about every Feather SE & DE blade ever made...They cant lick the boots from some NOS blades that were made in the Mid 60s to Mid 70s....They are very sharp for the initial shave and that's it..Some NOS blades are Crazy sharp compared to Feather blades and they hold their edge a lot longer....Don't get me wrong...I like the first 1 or 2 shaves from some Feather blades but they are seriously over priced for what they are in my humble opinion...:w00t:

Billy

When I first started I had to get me some of them Feathers, about a month and a half into this I tried them and came away a mess with much irritation and a few weepers, I did not like them. What I did not realize is I had not given myself a chance to get an improved technique before jumping around to different blades razors and the like. After a couple of years I went back to many of the blades I did not like at first and found that I do like the Feathers, just not my favorite.

I like feathers, but I much prefer a more aggressive razor and a smoother blade - even if I sacrifice some sharpness. That, and getting a bit more lifespan from the blade is never a bad thing.

When I first started I had to get me some of them Feathers, about a month and a half into this I tried them and came away a mess with much irritation and a few weepers, I did not like them. What I did not realize is I had not given myself a chance to get an improved technique before jumping around to different blades razors and the like. After a couple of years I went back to many of the blades I did not like at first and found that I do like the Feathers, just not my favorite.

+1. Almost the same the exact same thing but for the ending. The feathers are now my favorite. I still keep some mild blades around if I've shave several days in a row or to do some clean up after a straight. But in general all feathers.

I had a fear of the Feathers, but then I scored a Fatboy on ebay and thought that would be the perfect time to try them. I started off at a low setting and gradually increased it to 6. I ended up with a couple of weepers and backed it off to 5. I've since tried one in my new LC and enjoyed the shave they give. At this point I would say that they are my second favorite blade.

Don't fear the Blade, just respect the shave. I use Feathers regularly and have no problems, until I get careless. When that happens you can cut up your face with whatever you're using.

I was also afraid of the Feather because of all the comments I read about how if you don't have excellent technique they are very unforgiving and will slice your face up, yada yada yada.

I've never gotten a nick from a Feather, and eventually bought a Feather Artist and find them to be excellent as well. I do prefer Personna in my DE just because I agree with other posters--Feather DEs give me 2 shaves, while I find Personna to be very close in sharpness, but I get 3 or 4 shaves from them.

Today first shave with feathers with my new Edwin jagged e89 they came with the package they are realy smooth I also enjoy my lord blades both are excellent blades

Top Bottom