What's new

Don't fear the feather

Had a long weekend was not able to shave for 3 days! :a31:
Pretty thick scrub, so I was thinking I need a new sharp blade to get through. I decided to put a feather in a Vision.
this was my first shave with a feather, it came in a sample pack. Was very reluctant to use it because I had read multiple posts about them being super sharp and only DE shavers that have been shaving with a DE for a length of time should use this Lambrogini of blades for sharpness.
So I loaded the feather. I did my usual prep put some proraso pre and post on then used my Amici brush with Razorock
XXX. Set razor about 1/2 way on adjustment. Began to shave and I was amazed it was very smooth glided well. Sliced nicely through the whiskers. This was my best DE shave. I have used this combo of software before exactly Except for the feather. I seriously thought and did have another blade ready thinking the feather would be harsh and have to be changed.
But I was greatly amazed and pleased. I no longer FEAR the feather! So happy that I had to post my results.

Glad to hear you are a feather believer now. I am a huge feather believer too. It's definitely my most commonly used blade. The one warning I'll give is something that caught me up when I first started using them. You are overly careful when you start, but you will quickly develop an attitude of "meh, I can handle these - they aren't that bad". And that is exactly when they bite. :thumbup1:

Also, don't try to over-use a feather past it's life… when it is done, throw it out and move on or it will let you know that you did something wrong.

When I purchased my first new DE razor back in September (Muhle R106) I also purchased a 5 pack of Derby blades. They worked just fine but I read about Feather's and order a 100 pack on Amazon. I was a little apprehensive due to the horror stories that a few folks posted. Balderdash! Proper shaving technique is all that was necessary. Oh, and let the razor do the work. I use Feather's in my FatBoy, Slim, Futur and the Razors that are non adjustable, all with fantastic results. I absolutely love Feather's. In my State the motto is Fear the Turtle (Univ. of Maryland Terrapins sports teams:biggrin1:).

Also, don't try to over-use a feather past it's life… when it is done, throw it out and move on or it will let you know that you did something wrong.

+1 For me it's three 3 pass shaves and the blade is history. But that's also true for other's that I use. YMMV.

I have never understood why some people are so terrified of Feather blades. They're razor blades , they're supposed to be sharp. Although they are not my favorite blades they are definitely in my top 3.

Yep. There's absolutely nothing to fear about the feather blade except maybe the cost:) As I mentioned in another thread, I don't see a lot of daylight between Feather and Astra blades.

Cuts through growth like a hot knife through butter...don't overuse it though - it's usually 2 shaves and discard with Feathers

I had been going through different blades that I had to see how long they would last and how good a shave I could get out of them. I have been DE shaving for about 5 months now and have a pretty good routine/technique down. I started shaving with a Feather that I had from a sample pack I got on Amazon, I had used it before but that was when I was still getting my technique down. Well after that first shave I couldn't get over how smooth and effortlessly I was able to get a great shave with it, after day 2 I went and ordered a 100 off of Amazon! I am currently about to go on day 7 with the same blade and still getting great shaves with it. All the other blades only seem to last about 5 days for me.

My first blades were feathers. I was ordering my stuff, read that they were "the best" and placed the order. Only after I started using them did I read about how terrifying they were.

I exclusively use them and just bought 200 of them. Sharp means no tugging and closer shaves. What a revelation.

They aren't that big of a deal honestly. If you already use Astra or crystal or Gillette yellow, or any of the 'sharp' blades, the feather won't be hugely different.

if you are coming from derbys or no name Walgreens blades, you need to relearn what no pressure means when switching to feathers.

They aren't that big of a deal honestly. If you already use Astra or crystal or Gillette yellow, or any of the 'sharp' blades, the feather won't be hugely different.

if you are coming from derbys or no name Walgreens blades, you need to relearn what no pressure means when switching to feathers.
I agree with this w/respect to Astra. I'm not feeling a huge difference. I had been using Astra then I switched to Feather for 5 shaves and now I'm going back to Astra to do a little more comparision. If I continue to feel the difference is negligible I'm going to stick with Astra because they are considerably cheaper. The Feather is a great blade but I'm a little underwhelmed because my expectations were so high based on all my reading. I was expecting it to blow the Astra out of the water but it just didn't. Not for me anyway.

The only thing preventing me from wanting to try feather blades has been people talking about how much they'll cut you.

The only thing preventing me from wanting to try feather blades has been people talking about how much they'll cut you.
If you are fairly confident in your technique and aren't cutting yourself with your current blade I'd go ahead and give it a shot.

Top Bottom