What's new

Don't drink the water! Will you shave with it?

Clean tap water is an issue in parts of the world. While there is big difference between swallowing contaminants or bacteria and them touching the surface of your skin; at what point do you get personally concerned?

If shaving in a place with this warning sign do you concentrate on your technique? Thank yourself for bringing that bottle of alcohol based aftershave? Skip the shave?
Warning-water-is-not-drinkable.jpg

When I was in Vietnam, the water in the BOQ was boldly marked NON POTABLE, but I showered and shaved with it and I'm still going strong 47 years later. However, I really would recommend not drinking it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. Swimming in lakes and rivers never killed me ... Bring a high-alky aftershave for sure!

AA

No problem.

If you go back 50-60 years most water in the cities was not drinkable and nobody...died from...shaving :001_302:

And if you think a bit more harder you will also realize that even today in most parts of the world water is STILL not drinkable and not a SINGLE death from shaving was reported and we are talking about BILLIONS of men and women living in these parts of they world who DO shave and bathe .

Hot water is your friend. When in doubt use the hot water. Watch out for the 250VAC electric shower heads though.

While I was in Iraq (June 2008 / May 2009), as a DoD civilian, I used bottled water out in the field. The water on our base at Camp Speicher, near Tikrit was potable.

I traveled to many places where the water is not potable. Never had a problem with showering or shaving!

I would think your soap would make a less than friendly environment for whatever bacteria are living in that water. After that an alcohol-based splash should, if nothing else, make you feel good about the whole thing.

I have shaved with such water many times. But it is one of those things that make you go hmmm.
If the city/state that manages water treatment can't make it drinkable, are they incompetent or simply too poor? It is one thing to walk down a city street and smell sewage or see it overflow a storm drain during a downpour. But another thing put incomplete treated water back in the tap.

I dont have a problem to shave or shower with such water but I would not drink it for sure.

I have shaved with such water many times. But it is one of those things that make you go hmmm.
If the city/state that manages water treatment can't make it drinkable, are they incompetent or simply too poor? It is one thing to walk down a city street and smell sewage or see it overflow a storm drain during a downpour. But another thing put incomplete treated water back in the tap.
I would say its more about being poor. I know some places where they good/solid water, so water is clean and drinkable on the source but until reach the customers its quite bad, pipe system that is more than 30-40 years old will ruine any no matter how clean or good water.
I`m lucky to live in a place with drinkable water but not all of us are fortunate enough.

What would happen if you used a different bottled water than the sign on the mirror recommended ?
I assume it is the brand that the hotel stocks. I wouldn't buy from the guy selling bottled water on the corner, though he does have great buys on Rolecs watches :)

I spent a year at Camp Liberty, Iraq, showering and shaving in water from tanks considered "non potable". No ill effects.

When I was in Vietnam, the water in the BOQ was boldly marked NON POTABLE, but I showered and shaved with it and I'm still going strong 47 years later. However, I really would recommend not drinking it.

Too true Steve, out in the field I would use water in the streams to wash and shave with, but never to drink. Of course, where I was, there were quite a few streams that had nice clear running water.

Just a layman here, but I would assume it has to do with the amount, as well. When you drink it, you're taking in a lot more, whereas if you nick yourself and a tiny amount of that water is exposed to your small cut, your immune system can easily fight that off (though a little alcohol probably helps a bit, as well).

The thing that worries me a bit these days is all the talk of resistant bacteria. I know it's not very common yet (mostly in hospitals where the bacteria is the strongest), but as we administer more and more antibiotics and clean everything with alcohol, the germs are adapting and getting stronger. There is even alcohol resistant bacteria that can withstand around 70% alcohol solutions. Though I've read that those types can be washed off with water and suds, so for the most part, water, soap, and alcohol will be enough to get things cleaned up, I wonder if it's only a matter of time...

I think we need to be mindful of comparing what worked 50-60 years ago in current times. The germs we knew then are not the same germs we know today.

Top Bottom