What's new

Don’t cartridge razors come with those travel caddies anymore?

Something I have noticed. Many years ago cartridge razors used to come with those plastic storage caddies that hold the razor and a pack of spare blades. Nowadays all you get is the razor itself. Why are those storage caddies no longer made? (And please Gillette and all, don’t say it’s about cutting down on plastic because look at the amount of plastic your cartridges and disposable razors make!)

Jason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I think cost considerations will be the biggest factor.

When consumers have become accustomed to using cartridge razors, P&G and schick found that even if travel storage caddies are not attached, consumers must continue to buy their products, and companies must be happy to cut this budget.

I think cost considerations will be the biggest factor.

When consumers have become accustomed to using cartridge razors, P&G and schick found that even if travel storage caddies are not attached, consumers must continue to buy their products, and companies must be happy to cut this budget.

The only cartridge razor that comes with a storage caddy is Sainsbury's own brand six (yes 6) blade cartridge razor.

I still have my caddy for my Mach 3. If you look hard enough you can find some 'universal' razor holders on eBay or Amazon.

Reminds me of the luxury felt-lined case my dad's electric razor came with back in the late 70s. Now all you get is basic fabric/plastic pouch.

Jason.

I think Harry's do.
Just looked on their website. It comes with a case that clips over the razor head and a separate case for the blades. Would be much more ideal if it was just one unit rather than two seperate pieces.

No, I just have a couple of their razors - one red and one green. I only use them when I am in a hurry. Their cartridges are quite good, no complaints. I get great shaves with them and they last a while.

No, I just have a couple of their razors - one red and one green. I only use them when I am in a hurry. Their cartridges are quite good, no complaints. I get great shaves with zhem and they last a while.
Ok thanks. Its like with my Mach 3. I use my Mach 3 if I am in a hurry but I use my DE razor if I want the full luxury shave and I have the time to carry that out.

By sheer luck I found this when I was cleaning out the garage earlier! I clean forgot I had this!

My old Gillette Fusion razor complete with caddy!

I never really used it as the blades were far too expensive and it was no better than my Mach 3.

Jason.
IMG_3162.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I work in a Supermarket and I think it would due to cost cutting. They can charge the same price for the razor with out the caddy. We see it with different items all the time. Just my guess though.

Well, of course it it is for cost cutting. Look at the history of the old DE razors. Super Speeds were sold with a plastic box until around 1970. After that only a razor in a blister. Same with the Techs.

Reactions: abj
Good afternoon all.

Today I actually phoned up Gillette to explain why they no longer come with the caddies. Their answer was:

''We now sell a travel pouch on our website that houses your razor and your blades. The option is there if you want it.''

Any thoughts?

Jason.

I’ve been traveling for all of July and august so far. I really dislike that my Gillette skinguard didn’t come with one of those plastic blade guard things. I’m so afraid of putting the razor in my suitcase and it cutting something or me accidentally cutting myself on.
Something like that caddy of yours would be a nice thing to have although it is quite bulky for traveling imo.

Good afternoon all.

Today I actually phoned up Gillette to explain why they no longer come with the caddies. Their answer was:

''We now sell a travel pouch on our website that houses your razor and your blades. The option is there if you want it.''

Any thoughts?

Jason.
I’ve seen these cases show up online, but I cannot seem to get them here… AND, I was reading up some reviews on the things, and they said that not all models of Gillette handles fit in there.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Translation:
"Now we'll sell you something you used to get for free and you should thank us for it."

If I remember right, Schick Hydro's & Titaniums used to come in a plastic holder for the razor and extra blades. Not sure if they still do that or not. Haven't used one in ages or looked at buying another one.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think some sellers on eBay sell plastic holders for cartridge razors. You could always contact one and see if your cart will fit. I have also seen leather holders on eBay and on line as well. If you know someone who does leatherwork you could ask them to make a nice bespoke holder one for you. I don’t think that it would cost an arm or a leg and you could show it off here on the forum and make some of us jealous.

Good afternoon all.

Any thoughts?

Jason.
I never noticed that they no longer include the caddy's, probably because I haven't bought a new system in probably 15 years 😂🤣.
There reasoning is the same as most phone makers now not including a charging brick.
The real reason however, is profit margin and the ability to sell 2 items instead of one.

Top Bottom