What's new

Don't buy Genco razors

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Don't buy them on the bay, don't buy them at antique stores. Particularly stay away from the Henry's X and XX and Expert models. They're um..horrible. The metal is terrible, won't take an edge and will shred your face like you dragged broken glass across it. Of greatest danger are those that don't have corrosion near the edge and little hone wear. Horrible investments. You should stay with fine British and German steels.

As a public service, I'm attempting to take as many off the market as I can so as to protect the unsuspecting buyer.

:wink2:
Thanks for the public service warning. I found a NOS Geneva for sale and purchased it simply to get it off the street and protect unaware buyers. Hadn't been for your, I never would have suspected.

someone has this one near me for sale fairly cheap... what do you think? pay no attention to the box i think its wrong... but i dont know.
00a0a_b6eDMHz4fdd_600x450.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
someone has this one near me for sale fairly cheap... what do you think? pay no attention to the box i think its wrong... but i dont know.View attachment 991026

It's hard to tell much at all from the one photo.

It probably can be cleaned up and honed, but there are lots of similar razors. I might be steering you away from a great shaver, so you need to make up your own mind after gathering more information. Still, if the price is right...

It's important to spend invest enough time and attention on this board, the BST, and eBay to develop a good idea of what's out there, what the pitfalls are, what the price ranges are, etc. Also one has to learn how to look for bargains, avoid paying too much for razors you'll see again in a few minutes, and also how to make sure you win the auctions on items you really really really want but aren't likely to see again ever (these are rare).

The more I'm planning to pay the more I want to be sure of what I'm doing, but I also don't like paying anything to get nothing. There are millions of good vintage straight razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's hard to tell much at all from the one photo.

It probably can be cleaned up and honed, but there are lots of similar razors. I might be steering you away from a great shaver, so you need to make up your own mind after gathering more information. Still, if the price is right...

It's important to spend invest enough time and attention on this board, the BST, and eBay to develop a good idea of what's out there, what the pitfalls are, what the price ranges are, etc. Also one has to learn how to look for bargains, avoid paying too much for razors you'll see again in a few minutes, and also how to make sure you win the auctions on items you really really really want but aren't likely to see again ever (these are rare).

The more I'm planning to pay the more I want to be sure of what I'm doing, but I also don't like paying anything to get nothing. There are millions of good vintage straight razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim
thanks.. the razor is for sell locally and its not an auction he is asking twenty five for it but im sure it could be bought for less than his initial asking price.. he only has the one picture of the razor and one of the storage case. it hasnt been seen by myself in person and i was trying to get a general idea before i contacted him about it.....

thanks.. the razor is for sell locally and its not an auction he is asking twenty five for it but im sure it could be bought for less than his initial asking price.. he only has the one picture of the razor and one of the storage case. it hasnt been seen by myself in person and i was trying to get a general idea before i contacted him about it.....

Might pay $15. I got an original, pre '34 merger 6/8 for $18.

It might just be the picture, but it looks like the toe is less width than the heal. The stabilizer looks good. Meaning that the edge is lower. That is a good sign. If its its same width across the entire blade and not thinner at the toe than the look is ok. I dont see any rust on the edge. Just some patina and thats ok.

Only you can say if the price is right but i have bought many in that price range and less. I have a few Genco razors. I see nothing wrong with them if in decent shape.

It might just be the picture, but it looks like the toe is less width than the heal. The stabilizer looks good. Meaning that the edge is lower. That is a good sign. If its its same width across the entire blade and not thinner at the toe than the look is ok. I dont see any rust on the edge. Just some patina and thats ok.

Only you can say if the price is right but i have bought many in that price range and less. I have a few Genco razors. I see nothing wrong with them if in decent shape.
thanks for the reply. i haven't decided whether i want to contact him or not yet

Actually to add onto this thread nobody buy Robeson razors, ESPECIALLY if you hone with Arkansas stones. They’re not bad, they might actually make you sell off your fancier name brands and that’s just not a risk anyone should take.

It as to be a joke! I have a few of them and they are great razors? I had them shave ready and they hold there edge perfectly so that i don’t have any trouble to refresh them to.

Nope, dead serious total junk @Guitar10 ... you need to toss them. The nearest pure high carbon steel recycling center to you seems to be in south central TX, I’ll PM you the address so you can dispose of them responsibly.

Top Bottom