What's new

Don't buy Genco razors

That's going to be a tough sell to those of us that live in/around the part of the world they were made, and look for them specifically since they are sort of locally made goods. lol

I'm sure you know they started as Geneva around 1902 and about 1928 changed the name to Genco. They do shave well and I've managed to collect at least 16 ( more in the resto pile I'm sure) here is a nice example with one of the nicest etches /gold on the blade .

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Love
Reactions: CCR
Another beautiful example. I didn't realise there were this many Genco "fanciers". I've noticed that some of the same models were made in both a plain and a much more decorated scales. I've seen Easy Aces dressed both ways. That "Magnetic" is the nicest Genco I've seen so far.

Thank you all for the warnings. I guess that'll just stick to my very inferior Swedish steel razors. I'm indebted to all of you.

Don't buy them on the bay, don't buy them at antique stores. Particularly stay away from the Henry's X and XX and Expert models. They're um..horrible. The metal is terrible, won't take an edge and will shred your face like you dragged broken glass across it. Of greatest danger are those that don't have corrosion near the edge and little hone wear. Horrible investments. You should stay with fine British and German steels.

As a public service, I'm attempting to take as many off the market as I can so as to protect the unsuspecting buyer.

:wink2:

Purchasing a razor from somebody that doesn't know anything about it is not a good idea unless you can supply the expertise. Auctions and antique stores are often handled by such people.

I have had a couple of very good Genco razors. Geneva Cutlery started in 1902 as a straight razor company and sold to Ekco in 1934. Peak production was 3600 razors a day, but it had trouble competing with the new Gillette safety razor. The Geneva Historical Society puts out a .pdf outlining the history.

The problem with this make of razor is that the newest one is now 81 years old.

I have no doubt the ones you found are in the condition you described. But to be in business 32 years some people were buying them.

Another beautiful example. I didn't realise there were this many Genco "fanciers". I've noticed that some of the same models were made in both a plain and a much more decorated scales. I've seen Easy Aces dressed both ways. That "Magnetic" is the nicest Genco I've seen so far.
The majority of mine are either plain Jane black or white but these 5 from the wood grain with bolsters candy stripe and the next 3 down are neat. Unfortunately it appears as though the last one with the greenish /gray ribs is gassing. Gotta go.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 101
Purchasing a razor from somebody that doesn't know anything about it is not a good idea unless you can supply the expertise. Auctions and antique stores are often handled by such people.

I have had a couple of very good Genco razors. Geneva Cutlery started in 1902 as a straight razor company and sold to Ekco in 1934. Peak production was 3600 razors a day, but it had trouble competing with the new Gillette safety razor. The Geneva Historical Society puts out a .pdf outlining the history.

The problem with this make of razor is that the newest one is now 81 years old.

I have no doubt the ones you found are in the condition you described. But to be in business 32 years some people were buying them.
I guess I need to use <humor></humor> tags. I'm in search of Genco's and was jokingly trying to discourage others from bidding them up. I just recently bought my first (Genco, not first straight) and am loving the shaves I'm getting. Actually the razor division was bought by Case in 1935 and moved production down to Bradford PA.

Most got the joke if you read the following posts.

May I keep this one?

They are great razors!

I've got one just like this. The problem with it is the edge seems to crumble, not sure why. It looks like it's nickle plated, which I'd read somewhere wasn't necessarily a good thing. But, after reading this thread I'm going to bread knife the edge back a bit and see if I hit good steel.

I have done my part in safeguarding the public from these (Master Barber, Easy Aces, Next, Henry's XX):

$Genco.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked up a Genco pyramid #7 from the bay. I got it for about 15 after shipping.
Hoping it was a good-decent deal but I’m new. Let me know if I did alright. Thanks!

proxy.php

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
GREAT razors, those Gencos. All of the mass produced American razors from the early 20th century were very good razors but Genco leads the pack IMHO, and there are lots of them around. Probably the best buy going, in vintage razors.

Top Bottom