What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

INFO! Don't be a Paypal CHUMP

Jim

In the past decade and a half we have seen enough failures to have a positive outcome in the BST to gather some hard and fast conclusions.
In almost every case...99.9 % the guy coming up with the short end of the stick used "Friends and Family" to make payment.
When you use use this option it is exactly like putting cash in an envelope and sending it.
You have no recourse other than filing a mail fraud complaint.
(We have never heard that to be a successful action)
Spend the few extra bucks to pay with the Goods & Services option which has safeguards built in.
If a seller refuses your request to use goods and services to pay -in our collective opinion- that is a huge red flag.

Jim and the team

This is a great warning. While I haven't had issues with the two f&f transactions I've had (on another site), they were with well known and long time members. I wouldn't agree to that if the situation was different i.e. unknown or new members.

Last edited:
@fightingillini22 that normally holds true, but there are exceptions to everything.. edit:been there, done that, luckily only one issue, but luckily i wasnt the only one and it was with a remedy available, but man the peer pressure was intense

David

Ask me which is more painful!
Moderator Emeritus
This is good ole home grown sound advice for everyone involved. Thanks Jim.

Good advice - once upon a time, if memory serves, it was verboten to ask for Friends & Family payments on the old B&B BST. Not sure why or when that rule went away. Personally I think that requiring F&F ends my interest in an item for sale ..

Occasionally a buyer has sent me payment F&F without being required or even requested. That buyer earns extra swag in the package and well insured postage, unless its a premium item and an unknown buyer - then the payment is refused.

BigFoot

We Don't Smoke Marijuana In Muskogee!
Good advice - once upon a time, if memory serves, it was verboten to ask for Friends & Family payments on the old B&B BST. Not sure why or when that rule went away. Personally I think that requiring F&F ends my interest in an item for sale ..

Occasionally a buyer has sent me payment F&F without being required or even requested. That buyer earns extra swag in the package and well insured postage, unless its a premium item and an unknown buyer - then the payment is refused.
The requirement was ended as we did not feel we should tell someone how to pay for a transaction. There are so many ways to get paid now.

As a newbie here, maybe I'm out of line, but maybe B&B could use a BST feedback feature so that people can leave feedback about transactions they participate in? Having been a member of other sites with BST areas, it allows people to be more informed about the people they are dealing with.

Apparently, I’m a CHUMP!
I sent a F&F payment for an item in the BST forum on the 19th. I was supposed to receive tracking info within a couple of days. Nothing. I have sent a follow-up PM and emailed the paypal address given for payment. Nothing.

I have bought and sold on various forums for almost 20 years and never had an issue until now. This includes some rather higher end musical instruments, watches, fly fishing gear, etc. I have always sent F&F just to help out the seller but will rethink this moving forward.

Apparently, I’m a CHUMP!
I sent a F&F payment for an item in the BST forum on the 19th. I was supposed to receive tracking info within a couple of days. Nothing. I have sent a follow-up PM and emailed the paypal address given for payment. Nothing.

I have bought and sold on various forums for almost 20 years and never had an issue until now. This includes some rather higher end musical instruments, watches, fly fishing gear, etc. I have always sent F&F just to help out the seller but will rethink this moving forward.
Post the seller's name so everyone knows who to avoid.

Jim

As a newbie here, maybe I'm out of line, but maybe B&B could use a BST feedback feature so that people can leave feedback about transactions they participate in? Having been a member of other sites with BST areas, it allows people to be more informed about the people they are dealing with.
Anyone whom would behave this way on the B&B would only be afforded the opportunity once.

Feedback on a banned member would therefore be irrelevant.

Post the seller's name so everyone knows who to avoid.
As tempting as that is...there is a lot going on in the world right now. Maybe the seller has a good explanation or some life event that has caused the lack of follow through and communication.
If the seller is that hard up in life that they need to rip scan a person out of $40, so be it.
I won’t post the name of the seller, but would be glad to share it with a moderator.
On the bright side, you can meet great folks buying/selling and I’ve gained way more in friendships and good deals than one bad actor could ever spoil.

Positive Vibrations

bberg100

Moderator Emeritus
When I sell something, used to do a lot of fleaBay, I figure the PP fees are part of the cost. It is not like they are confiscitory, around $3 per 100.

Lol now I understand why someone who was paying me asked if he should use ff.... ok next time i know what they mean and take the insured option which is better for both anyhow

ackvil

If your PayPal account is linked to a credit card, just give your credit card company a call. I'm sure you can get your money back.
The only way to pay with F and F for free is through bank withdrawal. If you pay via a credit card there is a fee.

The mod gave excellent advise. I never trust anyone that wants F&F payment. Just the act of asking gives bad vibes. The BST section here seems to be well run.

Top Bottom