What's new

Done With Buying

ZZTop beard or laser hair removal?

Mini ZZ Top!

Retiring from the military?

Nothing quite that exciting, everybody tells me I look better with a short beard, and I think I look better with a short beard but I can’t bear the thought of throwing all my shave gear out without at least making a good attempt to use it all up!

When I have a beard I use a Norelco Oneblade for the neck and cleanup so I won’t need any razors or soaps for that. So I’m going all out for next two and a half years to use what I’ve got! At the moment I have about 150 blades and 16 soaps and creams, some half used but most have about 80% left.

I joined the 2021 sabbatical because I have too much soap. Granted, it's only 30-35 total, which is a small collection around here, but it's more than enough for me. One of those is a brick of Cella, too.

Reactions: bjm
I joined the 2021 sabbatical because I have too much soap. Granted, it's only 30-35 total, which is a small collection around here, but it's more than enough for me. One of those is a brick of Cella, too.
Same here. Though I haven't had the courage to get an accurate count of my soaps yet. Baby steps...

Same here. Though I haven't had the courage to get an accurate count of my soaps yet. Baby steps...
It's instructive to count up not just the soaps, but the number of months or years these soaps will take to use. Once you exceed the five year mark, you have to question if it makes sense to accumulate more.
:laugh:

This applies to all sorts of shaving supplies, really. "How much is enough?" is a useful question to ask yourself.

It's instructive to count up not just the soaps, but the number of months or years these soaps will take to use. Once you exceed the five year mark, you have to question if it makes sense to accumulate more.

This applies to all sorts of shaving supplies, really. "How much is enough?" is a useful question to ask yourself.
So are you assuming I haven't done that? I have. I know how much I have. I've seen it. And I know I have enough. Thanks.

Not really sure why I took that so personally. I think I need to step away from the keyboard for a while. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
So are you assuming I haven't done that? I have. I know how much I have. I've seen it. And I know I have enough. Thanks.
Aren't you assuming I meant some kind of personal insult by what I said? Those are the questions I ask myself. It was just an innocent comment, launching off what you said.

Reactions: bjm
Already lost that battle in December when I ordered some paa cubes.

But I should be able to shave for a couple of years on available hard and software anyhow.

So what I attempt to do is get some samples instead of the whole puck. And I share purchases yes even half a sample with a shaving buddy. This keeps stuff interesting and entertainment costs low.

I try to repurpose shaving soap leftover samples (frankensoap) once a year, actually that works really well.

Exception if it is longtime on my wishlist and I absolutely know it is going to be used (stirling glacial electric sheep for instance).
Or iff I drop my favorite razor which (broman) is going to be a Pia to replace it anyhow. Might simply have to take another razor I have and live with it since broman looks to be a bit dormant.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here's my promise ..... no more shaving related purchases
until the next time I buy something shave related ! LOL !

I enjoy our wonderful traditional shaving hobby too much
to make any long term “not to buy anything” promises.

Especially in our crazy pandemic world, where my wife and
I are not taking going away on vacations, not enjoying our
usual restaurant dining, not getting together with groups of
friends, etc., etc., ..... at least I can pamper myself with
shaving purchases and enjoy our hobby. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Nicely said, Adam! :thumbup:

I no longer drink. Down to a couple of cigars per week. No cigarettes. Except for the mundane prescriptions my doctor prescribes, no drugs.

Really backed off on my Audio Acquisition Disorder. ;)

So I guess I will continue to (as @Adam18 so eloquently states) "pamper myself with shaving purchases and enjoy our hobby". :)

YMMV :cool:

Okay, let me try this again...

I couldn't agree more. I have separated my soap and creams into four piles; rotation, used, samples, and new. My current rotation is made up of four soaps and creams I plan to finish in 2021. The used but unfinished box contains seventeen (I counted them a few minutes ago) containers that should take about four years to finish based on my estimate of one puck every three months. While I have a lot of them, the samples are small so they should last a little more than a year. And some of the new soaps and creams may find themselves sold or given away. That's my current plan for working through my supply. I'm looking at a lot more than five years so it doesn't make sense for me to accumulate more... for now :)

That price is the lowest I've ever seen them. It would have been tempting but that deal was gone so fast...
You can create a price alert via camelcamelcamel for items sold through Amazon. And you don't need to create an account to receive the alert. Oh, wait... this thread is titled "Done With Buying" so forget I mentioned it.

You can create a price alert via camelcamelcamel for items sold through Amazon. And you don't need to create an account to receive the alert. Oh, wait... this thread is titled "Done With Buying" so forget I mentioned it.
I'm on the annual restraint, anyway, so best to avoid temptation. I think I've got over 500 blades in the drawer already, which should be plenty. Of course, that is not 500 Feathers.

I've noticed price swings on Amazon for many items. So if I'm shopping for an item I want but don't necessarily need right away, I'll check camelcamelcamel for the price history on Amazon. If the item is near its lowest price, I might go ahead and buy it. If it's closer to its highest price, I might add an alert and pick it up at a later date. But with the alert set, I don't need to keep checking the price on Amazon; camelcamelcamel does it for me. But again... this thread is titled "Done With Buying" so forget I mentioned it. :)

So many products available to us. So many choices..... ah the golden age of wet shaving is here. A blessing and a curse! With money and the internet we are hooked.

For now I have enough shaving cream, A/S, and prep soap supplies to last well into 2021.

Between 27 Jan and 05 Feb USPS will deliver 28 tucks (180 blades)--enough to go into 2022?!

I promised myself this would be the year to rid myself of all those shaving related things I don't use. So far I have sold some razors, but I caved and ordered some soap and a pre shave cube from PAA. I should never visit any shaving related web site, no will power!

Top Bottom