What's new

Done With Buying

You have an art deco froggy blade bank. Such a thing exists!?!? Crud, now I'll never be done buying. Share pics please.
here you go. forgive the lousy photo. it was made by the Listerine co.

Attachments

• frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 21
My plan for 2021 is the same as it was for 2020.......to sell more than I buy, so that at the end of the year, I will have either spent nothing on shaving or I will have turned a profit, like I did in 2020. At this point, why limit myself to just restraint? I have enough stuff that I can easily end the year with LESS stuff than I started with, and turn a profit, too. Win-win.
I think you should do another thread in 2021. It's a great goal, rather than saying no purchasing, say only purchases with money raised from selling and see who can come out with a positive balance.

I think you should do another thread in 2021. It's a great goal, rather than saying no purchasing, say only purchases with money raised from selling and see who can come out with a positive balance.
I could do it, but last year's post wasn't really met with much enthusiasm. I think only about two or three people were interested...........

I have not purchased any shave related items in two years, my plan this year is to sell some things away like razors, brushes and honing stones, I want to simplify and just keep what I use.

Here's my promise ..... no more shaving related purchases
until the next time I buy something shave related ! LOL !

I enjoy our wonderful traditional shaving hobby too much
to make any long term “not to buy anything” promises.

Especially in our crazy pandemic world, where my wife and
I are not taking going away on vacations, not enjoying our
usual restaurant dining, not getting together with groups of
friends, etc., etc., ..... at least I can pamper myself with
shaving purchases and enjoy our hobby. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Other than 2 synth brushes instead of your boars, I am in the exact same boat. I have 2 timeless Ti razors (68oc/95sb) one of which is sporting a beautiful Windrose Ti handle. I even went down the wood bowl road to house 3 of my 6 soap rotation which at the current rate of consumption will last at least a decade. Finally, I recently plunked a chunk of change on vintage blades to supplement my already 10 year supply of current generation blades.
I'm finding it hard to justify additional purchases and at this point I will probably consider myself bordering on (quite benign) addiction territory if I can't go the year without a purchase.

Last edited:
It is an honorable goal and the ideal is an affirmation of the potential of human choice. My stumbling block, so far, has been Barrister & Mann seasonals and unique offerings. Many seasonals I already have a 'second' or 'backup' puck. The new offerings could be my continuing Achillies heel. I'm sure I'll also have other experiences of OC 'rabbit holes' to navigate or deep dive. I need to remember to pick up something laying about the house and spend time "doing it" rather than practice the efforts of acquisition-desire.

Brother chuckd,

You are an incomplete shaver if you have never used an injector. They are very nice, and the Schick injector blades (made in China) are often found in small independent drug stores, and of course on Amazon.

If you have tough whiskers, may I recommend a vintage Schick Injector off ebay, models Type E through Type G, and if you have soft whiskers Type H through O? The most common, inexpensive, and easy to find are Types E, G, I, J, and L. Model M is an adjustable injector if you like adjustable razors.
Sigh. I was waiting for someone to say this...

But thanks for the advice. I do have tough whiskers, so I will look for the older types E through G. I see Gs all over the place on the internet.

From what I have read, the new Parker adjustable injector is too mild. Do you agree?

My dad had a Type M adjustable in his medicine cabinet years ago, but I never saw him use it. He also had a tough beard.

I pretty much made my last purchase before Christmas, and that was a bottle of Stirling Green aftershave, and then also a used container of PAA Han Polo and the matching aftershave. Only reason why is because PAA disco'ed it, and I didn't buy a bottle when it was available.

I got a container of Viking Revolution sandalwood shave cream for Christmas, I should be good to go now for a long time, I have 5 soaps and 6 aftershaves and 3 brushes with about 30 blades or more left. In theory, I won't need anything for the entire year, however should I burn up a soap and yern for a replacement then I'll pull the trigger on something.

I'm enjoying what I have and have curbed the desire to even buy a new brush..........I told myself......"George your set, put the wishes back in the well"

I'm at the point where there is absolutely nothing that I want or need.

I'll buy consumables like blades if I'm in need but I'm very happy with the razors and brushes I own and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Soaps and aftershaves I generally use ones that I make myself as there's nothing else out there that I like better.
It took a really long time to get here, but it's very nice to feel like I don't need anything at all.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
So I will type this in hopes that it "sticks" -- I think I'm done with acquisitions across the board.

For razors: I have over 100 different razors in *I think* every blade type: straights, hair shapers, artist club, injector, Valet/FHS, Gem, and DE....with a few vintage proprietary blade types thrown in for good measure. I just picked up the very last razor on my "gotta have it list", and now I'm trying to walk away from acquiring any other razors.

For brushes: a couple of dozen with a nice representation of badger, boar and synthetics (I'm not a horse guy). Many different handle types: real stone, wood, acrylic, resin, mixture of stuff (no metals/aluminum, but I think I'll live).

For soaps and creams: over 40, with a dozen that are undisputed favorites.

No aftershaves, they're not for me, and the Lady of the House hates the few that I've tried. And I've got a stash of blades that could easily carry me through years of daily shaving (although I'm more of an every other day shaver).

So I need NOTHING, but that doesn't stop the "WANTS". But I think I'm finally so well stocked that it feels absurd when my brain says, "hey, we outta pick that up!!!!" We'll see, but I'm hoping to stop in 2021 and just enjoy what I have. I would like to get to the point where I let about 50% of my stuff go to the fine members on this forum via the BST and PIFs....but that may be more of a 2022 thing. :001_smile

I’m 38 now and my plan is to stop shaving for good on my 41st birthday, so I’ve totally stopped buying anything new in the hope I’ll run out of stuff in around two and a half years time and not have too much to throw away!

Top Bottom