What's new

Done Buying ToBS Shaving Products

For years I used nothing but TOBS and Trumpers creams. Having used canned goop prior to that, I always thought “this stuff must be as good as it gets”. I’ve recently started using artisan shave soaps (stirling mutton base). Mind blown. The game has changed.
Try a tub of Grooming Department sometime; another step up IMHO. Cheers.

I’ve only tried their sandalwood in the tub. The scent was okay but too synthetic for me. Performance is okay too but I have a lot of soaps that are a lot better in that area too. The only scent from TOBS that might give them another chance is the cedar

Why is it that these traditional English brands are nowdays performing worse and worse. I too changed my T&H luxury lavender soap to my bath soap because of poor performance. Shouldn’t these British brands be leading the industry? I will definitely not try any TOBS soaps even though they may be ok.

I think the creams are just ok. The only issue i have is the post shave. It is not easy to get this stuff off.
They have one tube for sensitive skin that is good in my opinion.
The scents are a little synthetic, but ok. I am not a fan of heavy scented soaps and creams.
Compared to something like SV and MDC they are worlds apart in terms of scent and post shave performance in my opinion.

For me, TOBS products are benchmark standards.
Their Victorian Limes cologne is intense, lime-ade style.
Nice for perennial hot weather here!

castle forbes lime rudy vey feather taylor of old bond street may 25 2016.jpg

I’ve only tried their sandalwood in the tub. The scent was okay but too synthetic for me. Performance is okay too but I have a lot of soaps that are a lot better in that area too. The only scent from TOBS that might give them another chance is the cedar
Wife banned the sandalwood months ago. I offered to wash our neighbors’ pets to use up the TOBS sandalwood; zero takers. Thinking about catching the neighborhood stray cat and a local trash panda to wash them up…I hate throwing away soaps.

For me, TOBS products are benchmark standards.
Their Victorian Limes cologne is intense, lime-ade style.
Nice for perennial hot weather here!

View attachment 1479261
I cannot stand their #74 lime toilet bowl cleaner. Tried it, hated it, waited a week and tried again…still hate it. I found a use for the stuff…bathroom toilet spray. I put it right in the bowl after a use and the stuff covers any scents.

Why is it that these traditional English brands are nowdays performing worse and worse. I too changed my T&H luxury lavender soap to my bath soap because of poor performance. Shouldn’t these British brands be leading the industry? I will definitely not try any TOBS soaps even though they may be ok.
I am totally done with the English brands, they can keep all the history, subpar scents, and traditional formulas. I am only buying Italian or American brands going forward with my dollars.

I love TOBS creams, that’s all I use these days. I am most definitely skewed in the old-school scent profile direction though. I started out positively HATING their Sandalwood scent. And yeah it smells nothing like Sandalwood but I’m really digging it, and bought the cologne too. Mr. Taylor’s is a favorite too, another oldie but goodie.

Give it some time, you may change in some way and find some scents appealing over time, you never know.

Reactions: edw
I am totally done with the English brands, they can keep all the history, subpar scents, and traditional formulas. I am only buying Italian or American brands going forward with my dollars.
Yep, same here.
I also read some discussion elsewhere that these English brands changed formulas for their soaps few years ago ( discussion was about Truefitt & Hill but I think TOBS did the same). Which is why their soaps perform not so good today.

Wife banned the sandalwood months ago. I offered to wash our neighbors’ pets to use up the TOBS sandalwood; zero takers. Thinking about catching the neighborhood stray cat and a local trash panda to wash them up…I hate throwing away soaps.
I am a big fan of the TOBS sandalwood scent. I even stocked up on a few extra pucks of the hard soap. 🙂

Reactions: edw
TOBS Sandalwood is an absolute winner in my book. It is probably my all time favourite scent. I'm not particularly fond of the cream but the triple milled hard soap performs superbly and smells as good as the AS & EDT.

I've used TOBS Sandalwood but I think GFT cremes have better scents and lather for a very similar price. I'll probably continue to choose GFT over TOBS from here on.

GFT Eucris is addictive.

The thing with Trumpers, Truefitt and TOBS is that they are outsourcing their cream and soap manufacturing to a third party ( or parties ). At one point in time, I think they all used Creightons for their creams and they were solid performers without being great. They aren't artisan soap manufacturers who obsess over squeezing every ounce of performance out of their soaps or spending a lot of time on post-shave feel. They concentrated on their scents and as long as the soaps and creams lathered they seemed to be happy with that ( I won't get into their hard soaps since I just stick to their cream products but there are reams of posts dedicated to their soap issues).

I've found a few of their scents that I just like. GFT from Trumper is basically my scent jam and I'll always have some if it is in production. I don't think the actual product shaves any better than my $5 Indian-made Old Spice cream, but they hook me on the scent and I like it enough to pay the premium for it. I happen to like the Mr. Taylor scent but mainly because it's such an old-school outlier, and Eucris falls into this category as well. I'm about out of Trumper's Spanish Leather so I'll probably restock it at some point just because I happen to like it.

I also appreciate if I happen to like one of their scents you can really dive down the rabbit hole and get a ton of products in some of those scent ranges. Body wash, AS, cologne, shampoos, face food, hand soaps, etc.

I also tend to watch prices closely and only purchase TOBS and Trumpers when I see them at a good price point. If I get an $8 tube of TOBS or Trumpers and it doesn't resonate with me then I use it up and don't feel like I'm out any more money than what lunch sets me back some days.

That said if you don't dig it then you don't dig it. There are so many good shave products out there that you will find something that rings your bell.

Last edited:
For years, the only ToBS I had was the St James & I lke it. When the Tobacco Leaf was introduced, I got a bowl - I really like it, too. Recently I got some Eton College - this is one of the scents I think people complain about being 'dated', but it lathers particularly well with one of my horsehair brushes.
Overall, I prefer Shannon's Soaps and some of the Stirling Soaps for scent and performance, especially the Shannon's Indigo Oud and Stirling Magaritas in the Arctic Glacial (especially during the 115º summer days). For cooler weather, Stirling Weekend in Malibu reminds me of my childhood, family and time spent picnicing in Malibu Canyon and on the Beach.

The thing with Trumpers, Truefitt and TOBS is that they are outsourcing their cream and soap manufacturing to a third party ( or parties ). At one point in time, I think they all used Creightons for their creams and they were solid performers without being great. They aren't artisan soap manufacturers who obsess over squeezing every ounce of performance out of their soaps or spending a lot of time on post-shave feel. They concentrated on their scents and as long as the soaps and creams lathered they seemed to be happy with that ( I won't get into their hard soaps since I just stick to their cream products but there are reams of posts dedicated to their soap issues).

I've found a few of their scents that I just like. GFT from Trumper is basically my scent jam and I'll always have some if it is in production. I don't think the actual product shaves any better than my $5 Indian-made Old Spice cream, but they hook me on the scent and I like it enough to pay the premium for it. I happen to like the Mr. Taylor scent but mainly because it's such an old-school outlier, and Eucris falls into this category as well. I'm about out of Trumper's Spanish Leather so I'll probably restock it at some point just because I happen to like it.

I also appreciate if I happen to like one of their scents you can really dive down the rabbit hole and get a ton of products in some of those scent ranges. Body wash, AS, cologne, shampoos, face food, hand soaps, etc.

I also tend to watch prices closely and only purchase TOBS and Trumpers when I see them at a good price point. If I get an $8 tube of TOBS or Trumpers and it doesn't resonate with me then I use it up and don't feel like I'm out any more money than what lunch sets me back some days.

That said if you don't dig it then you don't dig it. There are so many good shave products out there that you will find something that rings your bell.
So true that many great soaps and creams on the market nowadays. For now I am sticking with anything but ToBS for my dollars.

Top Bottom