What's new

Done Buying ToBS Shaving Products

I done trying TOBS shaving products. Their scents always seem to disappoint, except their lime zest soap. All the others smell dated and disappoint in the scent department. Performance is always good, but not top tier. Today, I used their TOBS 74 with disappointing results. The scent smells nothing like limes, more like toilet bowl cleaner. As it dries the scent loses any lime and turns into a mixture of floral and chemicals. Does anybody else have issues with the TOBS line of shaving scents?
B8DEB4F5-C76E-45D6-A739-FAA6C1559140.jpeg

I have about 8 bowls of TOBS creams (sensitive, sandalwood, Lemon and Lime, Peppermint, Tobacco, Platinum, Eton College, Avocado)

None of them is strong scented but I like very much the performace and mainly after shave skin feel, considering its price range (about US$ 17 for 150 grams). Are very good daily drivers.

Other creams in the same price range as GFT performs similar.

The cheaper ones as PRORASO performs great but are not so soothing for the skin.

The better ones as Castle Forbes, Truefitt & Hill and Baume.be costs more.

TOBS Avocado is the only shaving cream I bought again when the bowl was over. And probably will ever buy again.

Still want to add Cedarwood, Royal Forest and Aloe Vera scents to my TOBS collection.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've used the Lavender tub cream, and no issues with scent or performance.
However, the cream I have previously purchased and used was a bright purple color, and the cream as shown on their website currently is white, so I don't know what other changes may have occurred.
YMMV

That's unfortunate @Possum092 .
It does kind of suck being repeatedly disappointed by a product line, eh?
You may consider disposing of any leftover product on the B/S/T. I'm sure you'd find takers.
If I may ask, what are some brands that have worked well for you.

For my part, I've only tried TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and aftershave. I've liked the scent for both.

Take care and stay well.

Seriously? You're too kind.
This is a brand I‘ve tried to love, especially with the number of years they have in the game. I really do like the lather; it’s the scents that turn me away. This #74, and their sandalwood scent line are the worst of the bunch IMHO.

Eben Stone

Staff member
This is a brand I‘ve tried to love, especially with the number of years they have in the game. I really do like the lather; it’s the scents that turn me away. This #74, and their sandalwood scent line are the worst of the bunch IMHO.
It's not that I find the performance of ToBS terrible, I've just happened to find 35 other brands that perform better.

Scent? Jermyn St... Nope. 🤢💩

Jermyn ST is literally my favourite scent all time, but I might be a basic *****. I dream that someone will dupe it in a good base one day, but it doesnt seem like it'll ever happen.

Different strokes for different folks! 🙂

I happen to really like the scent of TOBS Sandalwood shaving soap. (In fact, I like (the scent of) the soap so much, I stocked up on several extra pucks of the soap.) Then again, I also really like the scent of Tabac but am indifferent to that of Arko. Oh, also, I really like Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel!

In short, maybe my sniffer is broken! 😁

Right now I use four different ToBS cremes in my rotation, the performance is nothing to rave about but they work well on my face.

Advice to improve results:
Don't be frugal with the amount of product used. The cremes can take quite a good amount of water, too - there is a significant step up in performance and slickness if one diales them in properly. Just add water slowly until "peaks" show up.
If one doesn't add enough water the performance remains just mediocre.

As per the scents: we have entered YMMV here - my recommendation is to sample the creams (that's a general advice, applicable for every brand). Maggards offers ToBS samples.

Happy shaves!

For years I used nothing but TOBS and Trumpers creams. Having used canned goop prior to that, I always thought “this stuff must be as good as it gets”. I’ve recently started using artisan shave soaps (stirling mutton base). Mind blown. The game has changed.

I find that all the English brands are disappointing to me. I prefer American Artisan and Italian products. But that's just me

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom