What's new

Don;t you just hate it...

Don't you just hate it when there are a couple of places that catch the edge of your blade no matter how careful you are? Speaking specifically about the one on the top of my lip...

Also, I am constantly vexed by the dermatitis that I have in my mustache area, no matter what I do.

IMG_0612.png

I have some small bumps under my lip that get "leveled" occasionally if I am not careful. Usually it is nothing major. Grow a mustache, bet it looks good on you. :cool:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Geordon straight razor shaving should solve most of your concerns. It takes time a practice to develop your SR technique, like a month or two, but I think that you will find the results of the journey well worth it.

With respect to what others have posted...the first questions might need to be:
- What razor and blades are you using? (More mild razor may be in order? Or perhaps simply an adjustment of technique?)
- What has your dermatologist recommended to help your skin and are you following through with that advice?

I would try to find success within the format you’re already attempting rather than doing anything new.

A dermatologist is a good suggestion, and/or an electric or carts, at least until things settle down. Then progress with something like a Tech or AS-D2 in the future if you're really determined to use a DE

When I am tired and do not shave for a couple of days I tend to get a kind of psoriasis on my upper lip area.
What helps for me
Zinc oinment at night or cream with lost of campher
Teatree shaving balm afterwards
Witch hazel (I tend to use stirling).
Regularly a fresh blade
Clean my brush more
Use teatree shaving soap (again stirling).
Sleep more
Probiotics (acc to chine meds that is intestine area).

OMG, I don't know what exactly it was that kicked my brain off, but I read these responses before I went to bed last night (at 02:00) and when I put my CPAP mask on, I had an epiphany! The lower edge of my CPAP mask (covers only my nose) hits right where the dermatitis patches are. I just sent a message to my primary care provider to talk about getting a different kind of mask.

In this picture, I had actually gone about 10 days since my last shave, so I ended up making more passes than I probably could take in a couple of areas, but that one spot on my Cupid's Bow, damn it. I can just blink at the wrong time and my blade angle moves just the slightest in the wrong direction...

Regularly a fresh blade
Clean my brush more
[tea tree everything FTW]

What do you use to clean your brush? I have actually not ever cleaned my brush other than a good rinse of the soap out of the bristles. I have incredibly hard water (like 23 grain), so I could use some suggestions on brush cleaner that won't eat the bristles.

I have some small bumps under my lip that get "leveled" occasionally if I am not careful. Usually it is nothing major. Grow a mustache, bet it looks good on you. :cool:

For several years, I wore a handlebar mustache. I was working retail at the time, and one day a local plumber (who does his own TV commercials) came in to my store, took one look at me and said "Damn, I bet you get more *** than a toilet seat with that!" It was all I could do to keep a mostly straight face.

Speaking of mustaches, depending on what I get back from my doc next week, I might grow one again. I was like 70 pounds heavier, so it would be interesting to see what I look like with it these days.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, guys!

With respect to what others have posted...the first questions might need to be:
- What razor and blades are you using? (More mild razor may be in order? Or perhaps simply an adjustment of technique?)
- What has your dermatologist recommended to help your skin and are you following through with that advice?

I would try to find success within the format you’re already attempting rather than doing anything new.

+1! Sorry!! :sob::sob:

Definitely let things ‘settle down.’ Then get your dermatologist’s opinion.

Then, I would start by reading through the WiKi and focus on your technique.

Your brush
Synthetic is less sensitive
I tend to take some teatree shampoo work it in and leave it for an hour, rinse it out thoroughly. Repeat.
And dry it. Best is to rotate a couple of brushes.
Why teatree? Has antifungal and antimicrobial function.
Remark do not use as oil dissolves some plastics!

You might consider a oneblade core a very mild razor if you have problems with technique. I use mine when I screwed up with a de.

And check a dermatologist

Last edited:
You can wash a brush with dishwashing soap. Soak it in a weak vinegar solution to get out soap residue. This only has to happen maybe once a month or so if you use the same brush all the time, less often if you rotate multiple brushes.

I think you are on to something with the cpap mask, though.

OMG, I don't know what exactly it was that kicked my brain off, but I read these responses before I went to bed last night (at 02:00) and when I put my CPAP mask on, I had an epiphany! The lower edge of my CPAP mask (covers only my nose) hits right where the dermatitis patches are. I just sent a message to my primary care provider to talk about getting a different kind of mask.

In this picture, I had actually gone about 10 days since my last shave, so I ended up making more passes than I probably could take in a couple of areas, but that one spot on my Cupid's Bow, damn it. I can just blink at the wrong time and my blade angle moves just the slightest in the wrong direction...

What do you use to clean your brush? I have actually not ever cleaned my brush other than a good rinse of the soap out of the bristles. I have incredibly hard water (like 23 grain), so I could use some suggestions on brush cleaner that won't eat the bristles.

For several years, I wore a handlebar mustache. I was working retail at the time, and one day a local plumber (who does his own TV commercials) came in to my store, took one look at me and said "Damn, I bet you get more *** than a toilet seat with that!" It was all I could do to keep a mostly straight face.

Speaking of mustaches, depending on what I get back from my doc next week, I might grow one again. I was like 70 pounds heavier, so it would be interesting to see what I look like with it these days.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, guys!
I use a Cpap as well but I use a nasal mask that really only touches my nostrils. You might consider trying that style.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I can't wear a full mask at all - too much like the Face Huggers from the Alien movies. :eek2:

Instead, I use what are called 'Nose Pillows'. Since I am a mouth breather, I do have to wear a stretch band that goes under my chin and over the top of my head. My Lovely Bride says I look like the ghost of Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol with my chin strap on. ;)

Stuff that I have found to clean my brushes when needed: Dawn Dishwashing Liquid - the green anti-bacterial stuff, white vinegar, citric acid. :cool:

I was like 70 pounds heavier, so it would be interesting to see what I look like with it these days.

Awesome accomplishment! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Awesome accomplishment! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Thank you. Back in July, I was finally able to get in to have a gastric band surgery. Some people who don't know what that entails might think that it's taking an easy way out but it is just an extreme tool to help on the weight loss journey. If you don't do the work yourself, the tool isn't going to do it for you. And in order to do the work, you HAVE to make a lot of changes in your life and lifestyle.

But I feel a lot better than I did back in July. I just wish this damned COVID thing would get under a little better control so that I can start going to the gym.

I can't wear a full mask at all - too much like the Face Huggers from the Alien movies. :eek2:

Instead, I use what are called 'Nose Pillows'. Since I am a mouth breather, I do have to wear a stretch band that goes under my chin and over the top of my head. My Lovely Bride says I look like the ghost of Jacob Marley from A Christmas Carol with my chin strap on. ;)
Yes nose pillows are what the manufacturer calls it. Luckily I don't have a problem keeping my mouth closed while I sleep.

Top Bottom