What's new

Don Marco, back on my shelf -- Life is good!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
About a year ago, someone posted he thought it smells like a cleaning product. While YMMV usually holds, I contend his sniffer is defective. Unless he cleans up with Creamsicle frozen confections. It smells exactly like this. Exactly.

proxy.php

It's a summer-only scent for me, like many of the citrusy scents are for many of us, but I'd have to say it is in my top two or three scents in all of shavingdom. It was an early Razorock croap named after our own Ambassador and Rome Correspondent, Marco. You need not like orangey scents, there's no law against not liking it, but it sure isn't a cleaning scent like Goo Gone or other cleaning product. I'm not much of a lime fan, myself, but I was a big fan of Creamsicles as a kid, and this is one of those soaps I have an urge to take a bite out of. My guess is it does not taste anything like a Creamsicle, however, so I restrain myself. :D

Razorock soaps are terrific performers. I'm disappointed that sometimes we tend to support our favorite choices by denigrating others' favorites. Based on the many posts about Razorock soaps here over the years, it is clearly in the top tier of shave soaps for performance. Top 20% for certain, probably in the top 10%. So while you may find something you like better, of course, if you think this is a lousy shave soap, you don't know how to lather it properly.

Shave this morning was a Modified Marco Method. That is using a medium sized boar brush (it was an old green B&B anniversary brush), soak it thoroughly, then I give it one gentle up down pump to drop some--not much--of the water, then start slowly swirling on the soap in the tub, getting a bit more aggressive as the lather builds. Always about 150-200 swirls, nothing I shave with is expensive enough that I want to be abstemious. Heaven. Dense, slick, protective lather, great shave, great after shave face feel, finished with unscented Thayer's witch hazel and then Cella A/S splash, just to keep it an Italian morning.

If you have not tried this classic, you owe it to yourself to do so, provided you like orangey scents. You won't be disappointed, and it's not too expensive to give it a whirl in your shave den. Current label:

shave.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Don Marco is a recent edition to my den, but now definitely one of my favourite summer soaps. I like the performance of RR soaps anyway, but of the 3 I have Don Marco has by far the best scent.

The scent of this soap seems to change some over time. I don't get the cleaning product or creamsicle vibe. There's an orange blossom/honeysuckle type of scent in the background now. This has been a good warm-weather soap. I have been trying to use it up, but it somehow replenishes itself overnight. Hope to finish it off by Summer's end, along with a few other soaps.

I've been wanting to try some RR soaps for a while now. They seems to have multiple soap lines. (Mudder Focker, the hard pucks, etc).

To those of you familiar with RR products, which of their bases would you say is the premium-most?

I've been wanting to try some RR soaps for a while now. They seems to have multiple soap lines. (Mudder Focker, the hard pucks, etc).

To those of you familiar with RR products, which of their bases would you say is the premium-most?
The most premium ones are probably the "glass jar" soaps, which are XXX Fresco, Santa Maria del Fiore and The Dead Sea.

Followed by Mudder Focker, which has Fuller's Earth as a unique ingredient.

The "Super Tallow" and "Super Formula" are similar and I think the Super Formula with argan oil and shea butter is actually a bit nicer than the Super Tallow. But tallow is sacred with some folks, even if it's way down on the ingredient list.

The hard soaps include Blue Label, Green Label, Gold Label and Black label, plus a Lime and Orange scent. These are really pretty nice and cheaper to use than Proraso, Palmolive and Arko.

The best time to buy these is on sales that IB has a few times every year. Prices such as these:
250ml Santa Maria di Fiore for $12.99
150g Don Marco for $3.99
Set of four 100g hard soaps for $8.88 or $2.22 each

Last edited:
The most premium ones are probably the "glass jar" soaps, which are XXX Fresco, Santa Maria del Fiore and The Dead Sea.

The "Super Tallow" and "Super Formula" are similar and I think the Super Formula with argan oil and shea butter is actually a bit nicer than the Super Tallow. But tallow is sacred with some folks, even if it's way down on the ingredient list.

The hard soaps include Blue Label, Green Label, Gold Label and Black label, plus a Lime and Orange scent. These are really pretty nice and cheaper to use than Proraso, Palmolive and Arko.

The best time to buy these is on sales that IB has a few times every year. Prices such as these:
150g Don Marco for $3.99
Perfect response. Thank you, sir. I'll wait for a sale. 4 pucks for 9 bucks? That has to be the best deal available in the wetshaving market. Two years worth of shaves.

150g Don Marco for $3.99
... and the 250ml Unlabeled Project for $8.99

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Don Marco was my favorite soap for a number of years. Top of the list. I don’t care what the season is, I love me citrus soaps. However in the last year maybe, I have gravitated towards some other premium soaps a little higher up the food chain, so I haven’t been using it quite as much as I used to. But it still love it. And the scent is tops. I need to break it out again soon.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If you enjoy the scent of Don Marco I suggest you try finishing your shave with a splash of Vitos Aftershaving. I believe it might be called 'Amber ' now. You can thank me later.

Top Bottom