What's new

Dominic Member Interview

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Member Interviews - Meet member Dominic

134965.jpg

@Dominic has been a member of B&B since Apr 15, 2021

01. How did you find Badger and Blade and why did you become a member?

About eleven years ago I saw an article about wet shaving. It piqued my interest. Dad’s old razors had been sitting in the drawer unused for many years, decades. In fact, I have no recollection of him ever using them. I always saw him use a Norelco electric. I decided to clean his razors up and put them back to use. I got online and did a search on razors and found Badger & Blade. I liked all the different forums for razors, blades, soaps, brushes, etc., and people sharing information and giving advice, so I joined thinking this was the place to ask questions and learn. I was active for about a year under the name RosaryMan, then I was off until signing back up as Dominic.

02. When you did or if you are working, in general what did or do you do?

I am still working. I have a Masters in Translation from the Monterey Institute of International Studies (now Middlebury Institute…). Like many other people, I ended up working in a field other than that in which I was trained. I have the thoroughly un-exciting job of auditing invoices. I also make and sell rosaries when requested (hobby income).

03. What part of the country where you were born do you like the most?

I was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma and have lived just north of there since I was 11 years old. There is no place like home. I like my home state. I live in “Green Country.” We have red dirt country in the center of the state; there is Little Sahara state park out west; and in the southeast, we have mountains (small ones, not like the Rockies or Alps). There’s a lot of beautiful scenery.

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I’d live right where I am. However, if I were to live in a foreign country, I’d say I really like France. I studied there twice and had an internship (translation) and travelled around, and since I know the language, that would make it easy. Second to France, I like Austria. It seemed like a place I could live, around Salzburg.

05. Do you have any hobbies or pastimes?

I mentioned I make rosaries. I’m all for promoting this prayer. Within the last few months, I’ve been learning the tin whistle (penny whistle). Back in the ‘90s when I visited Ireland, I bought one at a souvenir shop in Galway. I came across it in a box when cleaning up, and decided it’s time. It cost me $8, I’d hate for that to go to waste. These days you can learn anything with online videos, so I’ve been having a little fun with that.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

It’s the Dominican shield. There is a religious order called the Order of Preachers (AKA Dominicans) founded by Saint Dominic a little over 800 years ago. Six years ago, I joined the Lay Dominicans. Most of the large religious orders (Dominicans, Franciscans, Benedictines, etc.) have different “orders” within them: first order (monks or friars), second order (nuns), third order (laity). My religious life is the most important aspect of my life now, and I wanted to go deeper to get closer to Christ. This was the avenue I followed, and I couldn’t be happier with it.

07. If you could choose any person in the world, now or from the past, who would you like to sit down and have a drink with?

This one takes some thought. Jesus would be the first answer. But after Him, there would be any number of saints. You read their writings, and they are so profound. I’d love to actually speak with them. Saint Alphonsus Liguori would probably be first on that list. But then there’s family. I’d like to meet my grandparents. Three of them were gone before I was born. But really, with family, I would like to talk to Dad again.

08. What is something you'd like to do, but have not had the opportunity to do it?

Retire. 😂

09. What is one thing or accomplishment in your life that you are proud of?

Probably learning French. (I also minored in German and studied one semester of Russian and of Latin). I’ve always been pretty good with learning foreign languages. They came easily to me, and I thought it was a lot of fun. Learning foreign languages has helped me understand English words that were new to me. I wouldn’t mind learning Latin (for Church purposes) and gaining fluency in an Asian language.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer to people in general?

Our time on this earth is short. Don’t take God for granted. He’s real. He is “our Father.” He loves you with such an immense love our puny human minds simply cannot grasp. As any father does, He wants His children (us) to love Him back. He sent His Son to establish a Church and a New Covenant, through which we can be saved from all those stupid sins we commit. How many times I could say with Saint Paul: “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. … For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do” (Romans 7:15, 19).

11. If you could have any super hero power, what would you choose?

Teleportation. I wouldn’t have to worry about driving or flying anywhere. Somebody could ask me, “where do you want to go for dinner?” I could reply, “I have a hankerin’ for some spaghetti bolognese at this restaurant in Rome, Italy.”

12. If you had to choose to be a kind of animal, what would you want to be?

I think I’ll stick with human animal. I have a lot of books I haven’t read yet. But I wouldn’t mind having a dog. I haven’t had a pet in many years.

13. What kind of music do you like?

I grew up listening to rock and roll. I played the guitar back then. Had a lot of fun jammin’ along with Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Scorpions…other bands that were popular in the ‘70s and 80’s. I took a music appreciation class in college, and sure enough, if you know something about it, you can appreciate classical, so every now and then, I tune in the classical station. This time of year, I like all the traditional Christmas carols like Silent Night and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Today’s Epiphany, so I’ll be singing “We Three Kings of Orient Are…” all day. I really like that song. Although these days, now that we have a Catholic radio station (EWTN) in town, I listen to that almost exclusively.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would you like to be?

This might sound funny, but the Elephant Man. I saw that movie, and what struck me is that he was always so grateful. I would like to have that effusive gratitude for even the little things people did for me. Another would be George Bailey in It’s a Wonderful Life, because he got to see how everyone was grateful for what he had done for them over the years. I guess I appreciate gratitude.

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the Title of that book be?

I don’t know. It wouldn’t be a very interesting book. It would end up in the basement bargain bin at the bookstore.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for doing the interview @Dominic.

Having a Masters in Translation, you must be familiar with Linguistic Relativity. Since I communicate via text with people from all over the world, thats become a growing interest of mine and has taught me patience.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wonderful interview. The older I get the more I appreciate the Apostle Paul. Thank you for your openness my friend!

Thanks for sharing about yourself, @Dominic—very interesting. I studied several languages in college and grad school too and was decent in a few of them. Now I work in data—go figure. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for sharing about yourself, @Dominic—very interesting. I studied several languages in college and grad school too and was decent in a few of them. Now I work in data—go figure. :)
I could teach Pig Latin. But not English. Why not you ask? Becuz I have trubble spelling!

Thanks for the enlightening interview. If you are Oklahoma Rosaries on etsy, I've done business with you in the past!

Wonderful interview @Dominic I belong to a men's Bible Study and we have just completed a study of all of Paul's epistles. It took us the better part of a year. Your comments at point 10 hit the nail on the head. It took me many years to learn that lesson.

Top Bottom