What's new

DollarTree razor and soap review

I have the Roman Empire Augustus and Caesar razors. When I bought them they were $9 each on Amazon, and for that price, the blade sampler and the handles were worth more than that.

I found the Caesar to actually be a very nice razor. It comes with a DE89 clone head that gives very mild and comfortable shaves. The Augustus shaves well also, but I think I like the heavier head of the Caesar a touch more.

Didn't mean to derail the thread but I like hyping these razors because to me they are incredible bargains.
Didn't derail at all, thanks 🙂

from what I understand, these Dollar Tree razors are even more aggressive then an R41, and far less comfortable then an R41.

I think that there is an obvious limit to the low price you can pay for a razor that you would brave to put against your face.

Still, there are razors like the Wilkinson Sword Classic on Amazon for $6.15 and it comes with a full tuck of five Wilkinson Sword German made DE blades. That figures to around five bucks for the razor.

proxy.php

The metal TTO for around $13.50. So for only a few dollars more, you still can buy a very reasonably priced all metal razor, including a tuck of blades.

These are not a bad prices, considerating an average drug store DE razor was about $4 some 50-years ago.

I remember when Dollar Tree sold stuff for just a Dollar… They even had these same soaps and razors back then. When I try to tell youngsters the Dollar Tree used to be a Dollar store, they send me this meme:

I retired a few years ago and left my home state to visit a friend. I went on to another state and haven't returned.

I had only a few things with me in the car because I wasn't planning an extended trip. I found the local Dollar Tree and bought some cooking utensils for $1 each. All these years and everything in the store was still exactly $1. They just raised their prices to $1.25 earlier this year.

Family Dollar and Dollar General are not at all "dollar" stores.

Growing up in Miami, I was about six (around 1960) and was excited to go with my mother to the five and dime store. I had plenty if change in my pockets and looked forward to buying a lot of toys.

Arriving at the toy department, it became quickly apparent that there was not much worth buying for 10-cents, even back then!

I think that there is an obvious limit to the low price you can pay for a razor that you would brave to put against your face.

Still, there are razors like the Wilkinson Sword Classic on Amazon for $6.15 and it comes with a full tuck of five Wilkinson Sword German made DE blades. That figures to around five bucks for the razor.

proxy.php

The metal TTO for around $13.50. So for only a few dollars more, you still can buy a very reasonably priced all metal razor, including a tuck of blades.

These are not a bad prices, considerating an average drug store DE razor was about $4 some 50-years ago.

I retired a few years ago and left my home state to visit a friend. I went on to another state and haven't returned.

I had only a few things with me in the car because I wasn't planning an extended trip. I found the local Dollar Tree and bought some cooking utensils for $1 each. All these years and everything in the store was still exactly $1. They just raised their prices to $1.25 earlier this year.

Family Dollar and Dollar General are not at all "dollar" stores.

Growing up in Miami, I was about six (around 1960) and was excited to go with my mother to the five and dime store. I had plenty if change in my pockets and looked forward to buying a lot of toys.

Arriving at the toy department, it became quickly apparent that there was not much worth buying for 10-cents, even back then!
That Wilkinson Sword Classic is one of my favorite DE razors and I've got one in the bathroom myself. I first discovered it as the razor being used by a composer in an old Apple ad, I don't recall when it was. I thought it was some exotic, high-end razor and didn't learn until much later that you could buy it so inexpensively.

Last edited:
Inexpensively! Its $6. If you subtract the cost of the included tuck of Wilkinson Sword blades, it is only $5! I haven't shaved with the Clasic, only the metal TTO. But I do intend to work one into one of my upcoming Amazon orders.
It's gotten less expensive over the last few years. I think I bought my first one for $10, which was still a great value. I think I'm derailing the thread a bit, though.

Earlier in the week I stopped to check out a shopping center a few miles away from where I stay.

Driving around in it, I noticed a Doller Tree store there. It was a nicely designed shopping center and the Dollar Tree store looked really upscale there, as opposed to how they typically look.

I wandered in and ended up with a few items. I found the razors and purchased one. The only ones there were the 3-piece models, which were $1.25.

I shaved with it on Monday. I am using blades for a week each, so I didn't try their blades yet. I used a Personna Lab Blue on its 2nd shave.

Naturally, it felt like and shaved like the cheap razor that it was. Despite that, I didn't get any nicks or cuts. My shave was close and smooth. In a bind, it is a usable razor but just barely!

Earlier in this thread, the subject of patent infringement has come up. Patents only protect a product for a period of twenty years, from the date they are granted.

2701 Patent Term [R-10.2019]​

35 U.S.C. 154 Contents and term of patent; provisional rights.

• (a) IN GENERAL.—
    • (2) TERM.—Subject to the payment of fees under this title, such grant shall be for a term beginning on the date on which the patent issues and ending 20 years from the date on which the application for the patent was filed in the United States or, if the application contains a specific reference to an earlier filed application or applications under section 120, 121, 365(c), or 386(c) from the date on which the earliest such application was filed.
This is the reason Gillette developed and patented their cartridge razors and blades.

When the patent runs out, they develop another razor and cartridges. Shick now has blade cartridges which will work in Mach III razor handles. Personna has blade cartridges which will fit the Trac II handles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom