What's new

Dollars Tree DE - Tech clone?

Definitely try a different handle. I replaced the issue handle on mine with one from a Gillette Tech found in my junk box. The extra weight made a big difference for me, making the razor much more controllable plus just feeling more normal in my hand. A light touch is still important of course but at least it's not as bitey as my Ikon Tek.
Yeah, now that I'm a day away from that last shave I'm in a better head space and I'm closer to pulling the trigger on this idea. Also, I wonder if the SI blade just may be a little too 'extra' for a head with such a large blade exposure. I'm toying with the idea of a milder blade in it as well. My coworker would fuss at me for changing too many variables at once but I'm not looking for a Nobel from this :)

Might be time to pull out an Astra, or a Supermax Titanium.

The things I do for Shave Science!

Update:

I put a heavier handle on the razor head and pulled out my 'smoothest' all-around blade. Results: better, but not what I'd like to see in an everyday shaver.

The WTG pass was pretty close to what I like to feel. The heavier handle helped keep the blade in contact with my face without needing pressure. Things got shaky on the XTG pass, however, as it kept wanting to 'skip'. A little more blood was sacrificed for science during this phase.

I think if I stuck with this as a "(2) WTG passes and happy with a SAS" razor it would be fine. It does shave surprisingly close, probably owing to that frightful blade exposure so it has that going for it. I'm going to sit on this one for a while and see how I feel about it later.

It reminds me more of this one...
s-l500.jpg

I bought several if for nothing else , a cheap hancle to put on loose top parts of razors I sometimes find in antique/thrift stores for a couple of bucks that are missing the handles.... The handles have made several razors usable again. My wife says they work well for under arms and legs BTW... So you can make your significant other happy by giving her another razor.. Its the thought for them BTW.....

Assured for MEN. Won't work for women? :huh:
My wife likes it a lot for under arms and legs..... She has it and a few techs and a european TTO frankenrazor among others BTW ...She even says the blades are decent for womens legs and underarms ......

Alicia ( my wife ) and I just talked about the razor. She said it can be slightly aggressive , but she said dont ride the cap but keep your angle shallow and go slow the first few times until you get used to it and you wont have problems with the DT 3 piece razor....

It reminds me more of this one...
View attachment 1523139

I bought several if for nothing else , a cheap hancle to put on loose top parts of razors I sometimes find in antique/thrift stores for a couple of bucks that are missing the handles.... The handles have made several razors usable again. My wife says they work well for under arms and legs BTW... So you can make your significant other happy by giving her another razor.. Its the thought for them BTW.....
I actually bought the DT razor for the handles, and if the head or blades actually worked out I was going to consider that a bonus.

I recently bought two myself from the Dollar Tree. I also have the original "Assurance" TTO one they had for sale awhile back.

I have been shaving with one of them all week just for the heck of it. The blade alignment on both are not great and there is a lot of blade exposure but I don't mind that when I have to cut through 3 days growth of beard when needed. So far it is serviceable, but it does have issues when I screw the handle back onto the head. The treads are terrible, so I have to be careful not to strip them. I wouldn't use this every day or recommend one to a beginner wet shaver. It certainly won't replace any of my old Gillette Tech razors. :laugh: For an extra $5 you can get the Lord 3 piece razor off eBay/Amazon which I understand would be a big improvement.

Top Bottom