What's new

Dollar tree haul of interest

Found this tonight at DT. I am an admitted cheapskate. Sometimes out of necessity, many times out of curiosity. Who doesn't like things that work and also don't cost much? I don't know much about ingredients so I'm putting it here for review. When I get my shower and shave in a bit I will post pics of lather and give my general impression. I'll be mixing with b.pure shave soap and then arko.

Attachments

• IMG_20230109_213140733.jpg
    IMG_20230109_213140733.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20230109_213253911.jpg
    IMG_20230109_213253911.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 227
Interesting. Please do update. Is it hard like your traditional bar soap- Dial or Irish Spring? How's the coconut scent? Strong or weak?

Interesting. Please do update. Is it hard like your traditional bar soap- Dial or Irish Spring? How's the coconut scent? Strong or weak?
It's harder than bar soap. Scent is mild dry. I'm taking the lavender for a spin in a little while

So, this stuff is hard. Like hard to dent with a fingernail. The scent comes out when it's wet. Not strong but definitely there. By itself it seems sudsy, I'll try blooming it next time. Here I added a few swirls of the brush in arko and got this

Attachments

• IMG_20230110_084830563.jpg
    IMG_20230110_084830563.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 48
I use shampoo bars a lot for travel purposes as shampoo. Are you gonna try those for that because I would also be interested to hear how they perform for their intended purposes...

I use shampoo bars a lot for travel purposes as shampoo. Are you gonna try those for that because I would also be interested to hear how they perform for their intended purposes...
I bought them for shampoo. It's not bad at all. Leaves my hair feeling nice and not dry, rinses out clean and the scent is not overwhelming. Paired it with Yardley lavender bar soap. I share these items with my girlfriend and don't smell like a lady of any age. Also, it took nothing away from the ARKO, added slickness and a great face feel after. Next I'm going to bloom it and try a face lather on a lark. Seems like it will last a long time and be up to the task.

After multiple combos I've found these bars are rubbish by themselves for shaving. That being said I ran a quarter bar over a cheese grater along with the b.pure shave soap that I actually find more than passable especially considering the price. I mixed 3:1 shave soap to shampoo bar, pressed it into an empty clubman soap container wet it and let it set.
Final result is a nice lavender shave soap and conditioner that lathers we'll, smells better thank stock and leaves my face incredibly soft feeling. My DT has pears menthol glycerin soap and I plan on mixing that with the b.pure for an inexpensive long lasting menthol shave soap. Will update when I have it.
P.S works lovely as a shampoo and conditioner. No residue and hydrates wonderfully. The bar is also hard as a rock and should last a good long time.

Among other things, a good shaving soap/cream is optimised for lubrication, helping the razor blade glide over your skin without causing irritation.
For shower/bath soaps and shampoos, lubrication is not important.

Over the years I have, sometimes out of necessity, experimented with different types of soaps and oils for my shaves. None of the substitutes performed nearly as well as the shaving soaps or creams that I was using at that time.

Granted, such substitutes may work in an emergency and I too get a kick out of a shaving soap/cream that performs way better than its price would suggest, but how much do you really save when you use a substitute rather than one of the quality, low-cost shaving soaps/creams made for shaving?
In other words, how much do you want to compromise on the quality of your shave to avoid buying a shaving soap/cream that costs under $10?

B.

Found this tonight at DT. I am an admitted cheapskate. Sometimes out of necessity, many times out of curiosity. Who doesn't like things that work and also don't cost much? I don't know much about ingredients so I'm putting it here for review. When I get my shower and shave in a bit I will post pics of lather and give my general impression. I'll be mixing with b.pure shave soap and then arko.
I just tried the lavender 2 in 1 bar shampoo/ conditioner. Lathered quite a bit which makes me question the ingredients . Says environmentally friendly but who knows. I really like how clean my head and hair feel. I have thick wavy hair.

This soap is a Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) single lye soap.
Palm Oil
Palm Kernel Oil
Stearic Acid
Shea Butter
Coconut oil
Fragrance and other unknown to me ingredients. Does not look like any real bad ones though.

This will yield as you noted quite a firm bar of soap. This actually has a chance to be used as a shave soap bar by itself. Did anyone try it as such? If so, was the lather stable?

Top Bottom