What's new

Dollar Store surprise/PAA Doppler

Shaved with the Dollar Tree, made in china shave soap, and was totally surprised. It was slick, long-lasting, and hydrating with a very pleasant scent, this soap is a keeper. The razor and blade for $1.25 is ok for travel (no big hurt if lost) but wouldn't use it daily

1657648215339.png

My first use of the soap today went well. It did everything I expected, and I finished with a close and comfortable shave. The scent may be a tad subtler than I like, but it was certainly nice enough. I've shaved with far poorer products.

🤔 I'm not a maker, so I hope that list means something explainable...

AA
Well, I've lost the picture of the ingredients, so from memory: Sorbitol is an alcohol derived from sugar; Lauric acid is a fatty acid from plants or animals, it is antimicrobial; Stearic acid also a fatty acid from plants or animals, our bodies produce it as well; Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) makes the soap lather or at least makes it lather more, Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) is basically a watered down SLS, both may have carcinogenic properties; Sodium Hydroxide is lye, sometimes made from wood ash, the above fatty acids are needed to counteract the acidity, or maybe basicity, can't remember which, of the lye; Propylene glycol is or used to be a main ingredient in automobile antifreeze. It seems to be in virtually everything and is extremely toxic if ingested which makes one wonder how it can be safe to slather on our bodies in soaps, deodorants and cosmetics; PEG400 is polyethylene glycol and is used in eyedrops to relieve irritation, so maybe it helps with skin irritation from shaving as well. It has a very low toxicity level; glycerin is hydroscopic, helps your skin retain moisture and also is used to keep the soap from drying out quickly. The dyes have supposedly been linked to various cancers, reproductive problems, low testosterone and a host of other health issues.

Last edited:
looks like a garbage soap to me, but if you like it and get a good shave from it, have at it. The PAA doppler is a GREAT shave brush. anyone looking for a soft synthetic brush should pick one up.

Saw that soap a few weeks back and pondered about buying one, might give it a try, 2 days before the start of the GRUME ... gotta make it there fast

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Saw that soap a few weeks back and pondered about buying one, might give it a try, 2 days before the start of the GRUME ... gotta make it there fast
I am amazed at it's performance, seriously. If I were forced to use it exclusively I'd have no problem doing it.

Mine has been exposed to air constantly since first use and still has a very pleasant scent.

I could see people buying this for 5x the price and being thrilled. Blew me away.

Top Bottom