What's new

Dogs

I'm a veterinarian and I see the the love and affection my clients have for their pets on a daily basis. I'm definitely more of a dog person myself and have a 12 year old retired racing greyhound myself. I definitely get where you're coming from as I see his energy spurts gets shorter and shorter and see him lose some of his strength. Thankfully he's otherwise is pretty good health.

He's a lovely looking lad. Greyhounds and other sight hounds must be the easiest going dogs around. My parents kept a series of Italian Greyhounds (like yours but very much smaller) and they were all fantastic pets, but I was particularly fond of one called Hamlet who was as game as they come. He would chase anything that moved, and usually caught it, but lost interest once motion stopped. He would run after a ball if you threw it, but if it stopped moving before he got to it he'd come pottering back and you had to go and pick it up yourself.
He also liked to run around in the snow, even though his paws would turn blue with the cold. And he was one of very few dogs I've met who could sit on your shoulder.

Marshall, aka Mr Wonderful.
IMG_20190401_163553.jpg

We currently have a French Brittany . . . . the first puppy that I ever had. The breeder said that he was going to be a pistol, and she wasn't wrong. He turned 4 last month, and will still steal a sock or a shoe to chew on. He takes himself way too seriously.

Our previous dog was an Australian Shepherd. For whatever reason he chose me to latch on to. He could be in a sound sleep and if I got up to go to the bathroom, he would get up to wait for me outside the door. I'll never have another one like him.

This is Truman I rescued him from a local Boxer Rescue. We have been together for about 11 years now and he is about 12-13.. Shown here wearing a modified wife beater, he recently had a small surgery to remove a cyst. My wife couldn't bear him with the cone on us head so she modified one of my shirts so he would not lick..

IMG_1653.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This is Truman I rescued him from a local Boxer Rescue. We have been together for about 11 years now and he is about 12-13.. Shown here wearing a modified wife beater, he recently had a small surgery to remove a cyst. My wife couldn't bear him with the cone on us head so she modified one of my shirts so he would not lick..

View attachment 1102282

He looks like a great buddy!

Speaking of greyhounds, this is Lazy K Hero Val, or Valerie as we like to call her. She ran 148 races, which is more then the average hound... she won, placed or showed quite a few of them, so they kept her running.

Now she is fully entrenched in retirement, and the only race she has is against the cats to see who gets the best seat on the couch next to mom and dad. Sometimes she shares, sometimes not. :)

IMG_20190718_185832.jpg
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG

Cammie is my shadow and according to her, the sun rises and sets on me :c9:. Here are some of my favorite pictures of her -

This is her when she was just a young pup.
Cammie 5.jpg
tug-o-war 5.JPG

And here are some more recent photos from the past few years -
P1060875.JPG
Cammie laying down on the job.jpg

She is is a brindle-colored Boxer-Plott hound mix (a Pepper Tree rescue dog from Georgia). We got Cammie when she was just 5 or 6 months old. The Plott hound is a boar- and bear-hunting breed common to and very popular in the NC/Virginia mountains. The Plott family migrated from Germany to NC back in the late 1800s and continued breeding these hunting dogs. Would not trade her for any other breed or dog in the world.

Tim

z02.jpg

Ziggy (Super-Mutt mix) on the left, and Gaston (100% American Pit Bull) on the right.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to put Gaston to sleep about a week and a half ago. He was an amazing companion and even though he had multiple issues over his short time with us (protein intolerance, seizures, sever anxiety, etc.), we made the best of it and felt so blessed he came into our lives. He was a great big brother to Ziggy, who was adopted at 3 months old during the beginning of the pandemic. I've been around great dogs all my life but Gaston was the first one I personally rescued and was directly responsible for. After suffering a particularly tough Grand Mal seizure, the vet advised us what our options were, and while it still hurts, I am ok with having granted him peace at the expense of my own.

In the meantime, we are keeping Ziggy busy and are grateful that he is such a good boy. Currently in obedience training and earns a living as a full time shadow/snuggle pillow.

It's amazing what blessings a dog can bring to your life. Even my girlfriend, who has only had cats, is a complete convert.

Love the pics here, especially Riley with her plate.
We had dogs from 1975 to 2014. Three Staffordshire Bull Terriers, all great characters and well loved.
We have many happy memories.

I'm on my second "brace" of yellow Lab and English Setter; the current ES is actually a Llewellin from a rescue and came to me experienced and well trained. It just seems the right pairing for me, I only hunt upland and the Lab will honour a point once in a while if I want to flush.
They're both water dogs and we've been doing a lot of fly fishing last couple months keeping them active and interested until the season opens; we're gearing up for a backpacking trip to a beautiful, low pressure trout stream this weekend actually. Pics when I can send some to my work computer.

I'm going on 57 and had Rhodesian Ridgebacks most of my life...This is the first time in my life without a Dog...And It Sucks!!!...A dog is about the only thing missing in my life at the moment...
We rescued a Ridgeback when I was assigned to the embassy in Nairobi and brought her home with us. She made it to 15 years of age. We are on dog hiatus so we could travel, didn’t expect COVID. Sure wish we had a dog now.
7DF84BE2-95B3-4015-B287-51FFBD78E31B.jpeg
5F37D60B-F5D4-4FCF-99B0-E398A2AF0A09.jpeg

Top Bottom