What's new

Dogs fainting and clacking teeth

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Having never seen a pair of puppies growing up. Iggy & Spark, littermates, are the best of buddies.
A couple of strange, to me, things. When they're playing together, the frequently clack their teeth at each other, like play biting. Sounds like they're going to chip teeth, but nothing so far. Have any dog people here seen this behavior?
Second strange thing. When I pet Spark sometimes he actually seems to faint; a couple of times he's banged his head so hard I almost felt it. He seems to be just fine, but the fainting worries me. Have any of our dog lovers ever seen this?

Can’t help with dogs, but our rescued feral cat does the clacking of teeth at the window to birds/rabbits/squirrels

Spark isn't part myotonic goat is he?

I have heard of dogs having narcolepsy. Obviously I'm not trying to diagnose just passing along one possibility, however remote.

captp

I dont mean to make light of the situation by injecting humor. I do hope it's nothing serious
No problem. When I started typing, I was going to add "not like those hilarious fainting goats", but forgot.

Don’t worry about the teeth. They are strong than you can imagine and the dogs temper their force in play vs not play.
The fainting part seems like something you might want to see the vet for. I can’t help with it. Best of luck.

The fainting does sound like narcolepsy. When a narcoleptic animal gets excited, they fall asleep. There is a species of goat called fainting goats that just fall over asleep for a few seconds when they get excited. The level of excitement doesn’t need to be very high to trigger an attack.

I would talk to the vet about the feinting but just as a precaution. I would expect is is nothing serious.

I have two huge dogs (1.5yo Pyrenees/Bernese and 1yo Landseer Newf) and they fight and clack their teeth all the time. They are play fighting and it is nothing serious IMO unless one of them goes too far or gets hurt (hasn’t happened yet).

As mentioned above, their teeth are super strong.

captp

Thanks on the teeth clacking; I figured it was harmless, but, in my limited experience, i had never seen it.
I'll make sure my sister (her and BiL's dogs) takes it up with the vet.
Again, thanks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I recall correctly the teeth clacking thing is something canines do so that they DON'T fight. Usually the one dog is being or acting like the "top dog."

captp

If I recall correctly the teeth clacking thing is something canines do so that they DON'T fight. Usually the one dog is being or acting like the "top dog."
That's what I was thinking; they both do it about equally; hard to say which one will end up dominant, but I'm betting on Iggy. We'll see.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would talk to the vet about the feinting but just as a precaution. I would expect is is nothing serious.

I have two huge dogs (1.5yo Pyrenees/Bernese and 1yo Landseer Newf) and they fight and clack their teeth all the time. They are play fighting and it is nothing serious IMO unless one of them goes too far or gets hurt (hasn’t happened yet).

As mentioned above, their teeth are super strong.
Yep- their teeth are made to chew through bone.

Hope the fainting is nothing serious. I have seen the adorable fainting goats and hope it’s something similar. We adopted a pair of pups a few months ago. They are 7 1/2 months and love to play. Teeth chattering is common in our house. They do get hiccups when they’re overexcited, which is strange and cute.
97490DE8-BA60-4D67-B94C-A74218A398AF.jpeg

Top Bottom