What's new

Dog lovers, give me some feedback

This morning started out with my neighbor calling to ask me to help load his 100+ pound hound into his car. The dog had been battling cancer and it was time to put her down. The two of us were j-u-s-t able to load her into the car and (understandably) with tears in his eyes he took her one last time to the vet.

Help me out - is it overkill to get him a condolence card for his dog? He and I get along terrific but it is not like we are close friends.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If he loved the dog, the loss to him is as great as if it were any other family member.
That's how I personally feel. Having said that, I don't think I'd want a card just the same.
If you guys both imbibe, I'd just suggest you take a beer over, and suggest a toast to the memory of a great friend and companion.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
This morning started out with my neighbor calling to ask me to help load his 100+ pound hound into his car. The dog had been battling cancer and it was time to put her down. The two of us were j-u-s-t able to load her into the car and (understandably) with tears in his eyes he took her one last time to the vet.

Help me out - is it overkill to get him a condolence card for his dog? He and I get along terrific but it is not like we are close friends.
Do what you feel is right. I’ve been through that many times. It’s tough.
The wonderful attribute of dogs is they wag their tail instead of their tongue.

A very good 'hard' drink might be even better. Furries are family. We can't help it. Living with us helps mark the events of our lives and the times we have experienced. It is hard not to anthropomorphize them. I understand you weren't close or such. However, if it happens you have a photo of them with, or just their pet, perhaps that would be even better than a 'common' card?

The grief is real, and a good neighbor notices. An expression of your sincere feelings is always appropriate. A firm supportive hand on the shoulder delivering a sincere expression of how sorry you are would go a long way. A card would be fine, provided there is a hand written sincere note in it. A plain card in which you write the note would be my personal preference. If the note accompanies something you know your neighbor appreciates, like a nice wine or beer, or baked good, all the better.

Agreed with the general consensus above. There's really no wrong answer, whatever you feel is right given your relationship with your neighbor, be it a card, bringing over a drink to share, or anything else that feels appropriate.

I agree. My sister-in-law and her husband, in another State, lost their Bichon a few years back to cancer. It was a sweet dog that they had for many years. They spent loads of money (undisclosed) getting it treated, even leaving it at an out-of-state clinic for treatment for a month. The dog came back looking like a Frankenstein experiment, and didn't live that long afterwards. They told us that they would never put a dog thru that again.

Agreed with the general consensus above. There's really no wrong answer, whatever you feel is right given your relationship with your neighbor, be it a card, bringing over a drink to share, or anything else that feels appropriate.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

You can never go wrong sending a condolence card to someone. Not to steal the line, but it does show you care.

And you obviously do, or you wouldn’t have contemplated to the point of asking for advice here about it.

I lost my black lab last Spring. I got a card from my town when we submitted the notice that she was no longer with us for the doc license renewal. It was really appreciated. Dogs become part of the family. My chocolate lab is getting on in age and won't be around too much longer, and I wouldn't mind if someone did the same when her time comes.

Thanks so much guys, for the feedback. He has his kids over there today so likely I will drop by in another day or so with a card and some beer.

I had not mentioned he is an elderly widower, having lost his wife five years ago or so. After her services he told me, "At this point it is just me and the dog and the four walls here..." Now it is just him and the four walls... He is a great guy. He did mention that cancer is very, very common in dogs - something like half die from one form of cancer or another.

His dog (cue @Toothpick) is literally a hound and would bark every time it is outside which was many times during the day. Not barking but more like baying and barking at once - like a hound would. Barks at the clouds, barks at the trees... And then if someone goes by on a bike - whoa. And then there are the frequent neighbors who are out walking... their dogs. Man oh man - if another dog goes by on a leash. Whewww - deafening on and on. He said they tried everything and gave up trying to stop the barking. Often he would apologize for how disruptive it is. And mind you, it is louder at his place than mine!

And yesterday was a normal day like that with the dog carrying on. This morning it was eerily quiet all morning. Odd. Then when he called it all came together.

Last edited:
I love dogs but I don’t own a dog and know even less about etiquette following the death of one. The human thing, to me, would be to stop in around a week or so from now and just say “hi, I wanted to say hello and see how you’re doing”. That’s what I would do.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Absolutely. A dog is family!

Top Bottom