What's new

Does your TOBS wear out as fast as mine?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Creams do have a tendency to go quicker than soaps, but a quarter of the tub in four shaves seems fast to me. Are you overloading the brush? That's fine if that's what your preference is, but it's not necessary.

I load TOBS from the tub. If it’s a soft cream, I dip the bristles. If it’s a harder cream, like peppermint almost always is, I swirl a while. Takes a couple days to figure out how to get plenty for a luxurious shave.

I enjoy a large amount of easy lather and I always face lather. I do not try to conserve creams so I probably use too much, which I like much more than trying to stretch a lather out. That being said, I get at least 3 months out of a bowl, and I shave my head as well.

So this is my first ever Taylor of Bond street soap and I love it. I've got a tub of Cedarwood!
I like it so much that I've ordered 3 more. My question is, does it normally wear this fast?
I've had 4 shaves with it and I've practically used about 1/4 of the soap already.
I've been using Proraso red before I bought the TOBS and the Proraso seems to last forever.
I've had at least 15 shaves with the Proraso and I've used about the same amount as the TOBS.
At this rate, TOBS is gonna be expensive!
Any opinions or suggestions?
I go through it faster than Proraso tubes, like 3x as fast.

The only TOBS I use these days (nothing against TOBS, just like this one scent of theirs above all others), is Sandalwood. I always load from the tub (T&H, GFT, AOS, as well). It takes a lot less than many people think. I can't be bothered with scooping out some small amount when it's so easy to simply load the tips of the brush. I can tell you, all of these creams seem to last forever when used this way.

I go through it faster than Proraso tubes, like 3x as fast.
After figuring out my ideal cream/water ratio, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5 months per tub. I see people here saying that it lasts them like 4 months and I don't know how. I use an almond size amount every time and I can't get 2 months out of a tub.
But whatever, I love the stuff too much so it is what it is!

The only TOBS I use these days (nothing against TOBS, just like this one scent of theirs above all others), is Sandalwood. I always load from the tub (T&H, GFT, AOS, as well). It takes a lot less than many people think. I can't be bothered with scooping out some small amount when it's so easy to simply load the tips of the brush. I can tell you, all of these creams seem to last forever when used this way.
I scoop everytime!
I've never tried loading from the tub because I've only done that with hard creams. But I'm gonna give it a try!

So this is my first ever Taylor of Bond street soap and I love it. I've got a tub of Cedarwood!
I like it so much that I've ordered 3 more. My question is, does it normally wear this fast?
I've had 4 shaves with it and I've practically used about 1/4 of the soap already.
I've been using Proraso red before I bought the TOBS and the Proraso seems to last forever.
I've had at least 15 shaves with the Proraso and I've used about the same amount as the TOBS.
At this rate, TOBS is gonna be expensive!
Any opinions or suggestions?

My experience with TOBS creams and Proraso Red is 180 degrees the opposite. With TOBS creams, I use a small dollop about the size of an almond and lather the brush in a warm scuttle. I get enough lather for a 3-1/2 pass shave.

On the other hand, it takes 3-4 times that amount of Proraso Red to get the same amount of lather using the same technique, plus more water.

My experience with TOBS creams and Proraso Red is 180 degrees the opposite. With TOBS creams, I use a small dollop about the size of an almond and lather the brush in a warm scuttle. I get enough lather for a 3-1/2 pass shave.

On the other hand, it takes 3-4 times that amount of Proraso Red to get the same amount of lather using the same technique, plus more water.
Having just used Proraso red yesterday, I used about the same amount as I would TOBS only I squirted it (no more than on a toothbrush) into the bowl rather than swirl the brush onto the cream like I do with jars. I find these differences people have to be fascinating.

Depending on how many different soaps you have in your rotation, they may seem to last forever. I have a tub of ToBs (St James) that's around 3 years old & there's plenty left. I have a small stirling silver salt cellar spoon that scoops out about the size of a sall almond & I wipe it directly on my damp brush. It produces enough lather for 3 passes plus any clean-up, and there's still some left to squeeze out the brush into the toilet (makes the room smell nice) .

Having just used Proraso red yesterday, I used about the same amount as I would TOBS only I squirted it (no more than on a toothbrush) into the bowl rather than swirl the brush onto the cream like I do with jars. I find these differences people have to be fascinating.

Since I use a double walled scuttle with very hot water in the void, the scuttle is very warm. It could be that Proraso Red doesn't react well to the heat and needs a lot of extra product to lather. TOBS, T&H, and Kiss My Face, the other creams I'm currently using, don't have an issue with it.

After figuring out my ideal cream/water ratio, I'm getting about 1 to 1.5 months per tub. I see people here saying that it lasts them like 4 months and I don't know how. I use an almond size amount every time and I can't get 2 months out of a tub.
But whatever, I love the stuff too much so it is what it is!
That is about 3.5 grams per shave over six weeks which is very extravagant. Your lather must be very thick and you could use more water in the mix without loosing slickness.
Try a test lather with half that amount.

I guess I’m a heathen. I dig some ToBS out with a finger, mash it into my brush bristles, rewet the brush tips in a palm full of warm water and face lather. If it’s not wet enough, I repeat the palm/water/brush tips as needed.

I know you said you have it figured out, @LRod but just for comparison, I usually get around three months of three pass shaves (approximately four per week) from a tub of ToBS cream and I usually have a bunch leftover in my brush that I squeeze out and dump back into the tub. (Sometimes I just wash my face and hands with it.)

I've used several different flavors of TOBS and I do a face lather instead of using a bowl. I realized that I tend to load too much of it on the brush and the soap ends up going to waste. My personal faves are Cedar, Grapefruit, and Sandalwood.

I load TOBS from the tub. If it’s a soft cream, I dip the bristles. If it’s a harder cream, like peppermint almost always is, I swirl a while. Takes a couple days to figure out how to get plenty for a luxurious shave.

I enjoy a large amount of easy lather and I always face lather. I do not try to conserve creams so I probably use too much, which I like much more than trying to stretch a lather out. That being said, I get at least 3 months out of a bowl, and I shave my head as well.
I load from the tub as well, and one will last me 3-4 months. I also stick with one soap until I finish it, rather than bouncing around between different flavors.

I load from the tub as well, and one will last me 3-4 months. I also stick with one soap until I finish it, rather than bouncing around between different flavors.
What are you, a grown-up or something? Guys haven't done that since the 70's at latest! ;)

My lasts forever
Spoon is simple and elegant solution
You realy don't need a lot of tobs cream to get good lather
IMG_20220918_091356.jpg

I like my lather with a yogurt-like consistency. How does one achieve enough of that kind of lather for 3 passes with just an almond size dollop? You'd think to make enough for 3 passes it would have to be more watery or foamy?

Top Bottom