What's new

Does your significant other think you're nuts?

My wife says she is ok with it and she likes that i try to look and smell nice and take care of myself, but then she tells her friends that i am "into shaving" and rolls her eyes.

The woman my wife told that I'm now into shaving rolled her eyes, too. I don't understand the connection between shaving and eye rolling.:blink:

The woman my wife told that I'm now into shaving rolled her eyes, too. I don't understand the connection between shaving and eye rolling.:blink:

Maybe the word shaving triggers some sort of spasm that affects the eyes when spoken out loud. It seems to affect my wife's entire head. She shakes it slowly when discussing with friends.

It's not just shaving, my friend. Since 2010, my interests have included watches, fountain pens and shaving.

I still have about 20 or so watches and about a dozen or so get worn regularly. My wife doesn't know I do this, but I have a timeanddate.com calendar which started in June 2012 where every square is filled (written in fountain pen ink) with the model name of the watch I wore that day. (if she did, she would certainly shake her head for sure)

My first two fountain pens were acquired in the late 1990's. The remainder since December of 2012. (I have about 25; 5 new in 2016) That doesn't even begin to talk about ink.....
20 or so bottles of inks. Crazy thing is I know people with literally hundreds of bottles of ink.

Shaving? 3 razors, a few soaps, one brush

Mine recognizes it's another gear thing; she's a quilter so she's familiar with ADs. Mostly I think she's happy it's sort of distracting me from guitars/amps.

My wife doesnt give me too much trouble about it. Every now and then I may get a little bit, but for the most part she is good about it. Then again I don't have too much... yet! Lol

My wife is pretty good about it for the most part. EXCEPT, when I go on a buying spree and buy about 20 razors in very short time span. I feel the same about all the yarn she picks up every weekend. When we are in our 80s I may have to crawl over yarn to escape the house.

She thought I was nuts long before the wet shaving, but it's not helping either.

She doesn't understand... she kinda can't understand. She doesn't HAVE TO shave anything, everything she would shave is covered up anyway because it's not on her face. That, and the hair that she would want to shave is much finer and softer than mine... as is to be expected. But what I'm getting at here, is she can use a cartridge razor without any problems whatsoever, and doesn't even need to use shaving cream of any kind. And when she does it, it's like watching one of those cup-stacking competitions. Her razor will whip and flip around in all kinds of directions at lightning speed, and I'm astonished that she hasn't cut herself.

She's kinda OCD though about keeping things neat and tidy, and going thru old stuff and figuring out what's not needed anymore. And I'm not a hoarder like my parents were, but I definitely hold onto things I don't need, and she doesn't want this shaving thing to become some giant collection of stuff that I spend a buncha money we don't really have on, that takes up the whole bathroom, or any other space, for that matter. I understand entirely where she's coming from. I don't wanna do all that stuff either, but for the love of god, at least let me see what the heck is out there. I don't need a collection, but I wanna find what works for me the best(without costing an arm and a leg).

Every time hears me telling a friend about wet shaving, she just kinda rolls her eyes and walks away.

She thought I was nuts long before the wet shaving, but it's not helping either.
This too!

QUOTE=DerStadtschutz;8723022]Every time hears me telling a friend about wet shaving, she just kinda rolls her eyes and walks away. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, she does the same thing.... It's fun for us to talk about! Lol

She doesn't understand... she kinda can't understand. She doesn't HAVE TO shave anything, everything she would shave is covered up anyway because it's not on her face. That, and the hair that she would want to shave is much finer and softer than mine... as is to be expected. But what I'm getting at here, is she can use a cartridge razor without any problems whatsoever, and doesn't even need to use shaving cream of any kind. And when she does it, it's like watching one of those cup-stacking competitions. Her razor will whip and flip around in all kinds of directions at lightning speed, and I'm astonished that she hasn't cut herself.

She's kinda OCD though about keeping things neat and tidy, and going thru old stuff and figuring out what's not needed anymore. And I'm not a hoarder like my parents were, but I definitely hold onto things I don't need, and she doesn't want this shaving thing to become some giant collection of stuff that I spend a buncha money we don't really have on, that takes up the whole bathroom, or any other space, for that matter. I understand entirely where she's coming from. I don't wanna do all that stuff either, but for the love of god, at least let me see what the heck is out there. I don't need a collection, but I wanna find what works for me the best(without costing an arm and a leg).

Every time hears me telling a friend about wet shaving, she just kinda rolls her eyes and walks away.

If you live in house with a big enough yard for a shed, you may want to get one and run electric and water to it. Have yourself an outdoor shave den. Just don't forget installing a heater, winter shaving might be a bit rough outside in Pennsylvania!

My wife constantly ribs me about having more product than she does but she is enjoying me smelling good for a change and the smooth face.

She is enjoying going scent shopping and scored herself some Flower [emoji259] Bomb

By the way, this 15 minute limit on editing posts, while I understand why it exists, I hate realizing I made a typo after that 15 minute window and being unable to fix it.

I'm blessed as my wife is interested in the whole thing. When I arrive at home and packages have been delivered they are already open and she has looked/smelled/touched the new acquisitions and comments on them. Knows probably more about soaps, brushes, razors and straights then the average guy on here :001_cool:

My wife once made an offhand remark about the growing collection of shaving stuff next to my sink. Given the amount of money she spends on a wash/cut/color and perm each month she has no standing when it comes to costs for grooming.

Besides, it's cheaper than guitars, bicycles and motorcycles.

I'm not a collector, so I get no complaints about excessive shaving gear; but my wife HAS on occasion made disparaging remarks about how much time I spend in the bathroom.

It kinda annoyed me at first because the whole reason I started this was because the stubble on my face would irritate her sensitive skin. The dispatching remarks ended when she asked me one day if I was shaving for her.

"I used to." I replied.
"Now I shave for myself."

I've since limited my shaving to early in the morning while she sleeps. The only remarks I hear these days are about how smooth my face is.

View attachment 711432
I get plenty of negativity for my shaving obsession, but I get loads more for my obsession with Leeds United Football Club.
The shaving is something I do at home, but the football takes me away at weekends and it's that bit that she doesn't like.
She likes shoes and handbags, so I can always bring that up if I get complaints about yet another shaving soap!

I made the mistake about 4 months ago in a moment of guilt over a number of purchases in a short period of time. I remarked that I had a "problem" in a joking way and then told her that I had enough stuff to last awhile. Now when I buy something she gives me the eye roll and reminds me that I do indeed have a problem.

My wife thought I was nuts before she married me:tongue_sm. She raised an eyebrow when packages started arriving but my shaving supplies are much cheaper than her crafting supplies!

When I get a derogatory remark about shaving, I tell my wife ... OK, tomorrow the shaving ends ... I'm going to start on the Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top look. That settles things for a while.

My wife thought I was nuts before she married me:tongue_sm. She raised an eyebrow when packages started arriving but my shaving supplies are much cheaper than her crafting supplies!

Yes yes yes my experience exactly... but she does like my smooth face and smelling nice.

Top Bottom