What's new

Does your razor need a gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how could a man make a statement that he feels like a woman if he wasn’t one in the first place? He couldn’t possibly have first hand experience to make such a claim. Kind of like me saying I feel like Queen Elizabeth. I can say it, but wouldn’t have a clue outside of what I’ve seen on TV.

It’s all very confusing. I’m glad I know what it’s like to be me and that my razors are inanimate objects! Whew!

Sometimes I feel like Henry VIII so there.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When I was 22 I used a Schick Intuition, or maybe it was the Silk Effects. It was the woman’s razor with the giant head that had soothing lotion all around the blades. I used it to shave my chest.

So no, I don’t care woman’s or man’s razor. I use what’s comfortable and what I want to use.

What has happened is an intentional conflation of gender and sex. Sex is biological and cannot be denied, in my opinion. Gender is more of a variety of masculine/feminine/androgynous set of characteristics, personality traits and social roles/constructs or what have you. So the conflation of these two entirely different terms has led to gender being confused with biological sex. You cannot choose your sex. You can choose how you wish to live your life. However, birth certs and drivers licenses do not have a category called gender. They have a category called SEX with either male or female as the only options. Gender....who gives a F? One is born with a sex, not a gender. The fact that gender has become synonymous with biological sex is insidious by design.
I hesitate to reply because I am not sure if this article is entirely correct, but I remember reading it months ago and that it provided some history on the terms used.

I hesitate to reply because I am not sure if this article is entirely correct, but I remember reading it months ago and that it provided some history on the terms used.

I think when you read an article like this understanding the who and why of it is important. Of particular interest are the man's religion and prominent role in Focus on the Family. If you accept the man's postulates that gender is purely binary, intersex people do not exist, and that homosexuality is unnatural, I'm certain an article like this would make a lot of sense.

As a person who knows that gender has not been binary culturally for thousands of years, that 1-2 out of 100 people are born intersex, and that homosexuality occurs with plenty of examples in nature, I can deduce that this is a man who may claim that science is on his side but his relationship to it is dodgy at best.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I was 22 I used a Schick Intuition, or maybe it was the Silk Effects. It was the woman’s razor with the giant head that had soothing lotion all around the blades. I used it to shave my chest.

So no, I don’t care woman’s or man’s razor. I use what’s comfortable and what I want to use.

No manscaping posts please. :w00t:

So swimmers can't talk about shavng legs? This also falls under "manscaping"? I always tought "manscaping" was term specific for groin region

So swimmers can't talk about shavng legs? This also falls under "manscaping"? I always tought "manscaping" was term specific for groin region

Cyclists too. I read an article when I first started that many cyclists used razors marketed to women. I had no better luck than with the DSC cart I was using at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What has happened is an intentional conflation of gender and sex. Sex is biological and cannot be denied, in my opinion. Gender is more of a variety of masculine/feminine/androgynous set of characteristics, personality traits and social roles/constructs or what have you. So the conflation of these two entirely different terms has led to gender being confused with biological sex. You cannot choose your sex. You can choose how you wish to live your life. However, birth certs and drivers licenses do not have a category called gender. They have a category called SEX with either male or female as the only options. Gender....who gives a F? One is born with a sex, not a gender. The fact that gender has become synonymous with biological sex is insidious by design.

Wasn’t going to chime in on this one but felt the need to clarify how these words have been used over the centuries. There is nothing “insidious” about the terms being synonymous. In fact, what’s insidious is that you’ve been led to believe that’s the case. Gender being a separate construct apart from sex is a very modern interpretation of the word. From Merriam-Webster:

The words sex and gender have a long and intertwined history. In the 15th century gender expanded from its use as a term for a grammatical subclass to join sex in referring to either of the two primary biological forms of a species, a meaning sex has had since the 14th century; phrases like "the male sex" and "the female gender" are both grounded in uses established for more than five centuries. In the 20th century sex and gender each acquired new uses. Sex developed its "sexual intercourse" meaning in the early part of the century (now its more common meaning), and a few decades later gender gained a meaning referring to the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex, as in "gender roles." Later in the century, gender also came to have application in two closely related compound terms: gender identity refers to a person's internal sense of being male, female, some combination of male and female, or neither male nor female; gender expression refers to the physical and behavioral manifestations of one's gender identity. By the end of the century gender by itself was being used as a synonym of gender identity.

Wasn’t going to chime in on this one but felt the need to clarify how these words have been used over the centuries. There is nothing “insidious” about the terms being synonymous. In fact, what’s insidious is that you’ve been led to believe that’s the case. Gender being a separate construct apart from sex is a very modern interpretation of the word. From Merriam-Webster:

The words sex and gender have a long and intertwined history. In the 15th century gender expanded from its use as a term for a grammatical subclass to join sex in referring to either of the two primary biological forms of a species, a meaning sex has had since the 14th century; phrases like "the male sex" and "the female gender" are both grounded in uses established for more than five centuries. In the 20th century sex and gender each acquired new uses. Sex developed its "sexual intercourse" meaning in the early part of the century (now its more common meaning), and a few decades later gender gained a meaning referring to the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex, as in "gender roles." Later in the century, gender also came to have application in two closely related compound terms: gender identity refers to a person's internal sense of being male, female, some combination of male and female, or neither male nor female; gender expression refers to the physical and behavioral manifestations of one's gender identity. By the end of the century gender by itself was being used as a synonym of gender identity.

Exactly my point: biological sex and gender identity are two different things.
However, they have become conflated. Ones gender identity does not change their biological sex. If someone identifies as something other than their biological sex it does not change the fact that they are either male or female biologically. XX or XY. Yes there are rare cases of a third chromosome, but like I said: rare. Many people use the term gender when they mean sex and, obviously, the term sex when they mean gender. Hence the conflation. In common parlance, they have become virtually synonymous which is unfortunate.

Exactly my point: biological sex and gender identity are two different things.
However, they have become conflated. Ones gender identity does not change their biological sex. If someone identifies as something other than their biological sex it does not change the fact that they are either male or female biologically. XX or XY. Yes there are rare cases of a third chromosome, but like I said: rare. Many people use the term gender when they mean sex and, obviously, the term sex when they mean gender. Hence the conflation. In common parlance, they have become virtually synonymous which is unfortunate.

Apparently, you seem to be conflating "gender identity" with "gender". The point is that "gender" and "sex" have been synonymous in the language for five hundred years, and it is only recently that they have developed to have separate meanings for some people.

Okay so I did read the article but didn't read comments. But I think that this is bit of a bull****, there already are products from huge brands that are not gender specific. Personally I use Head&Shoulders shampoo and my girlfriend uses...guess what...the SAME bottle! And I never really saw "for her" or "for him" on those bottles. Ours is marketed for people with dandruff and doesn't really care what your chromosomes are.

About other cosmetic products...I think only major factor between men and women is scent that appeals to one or another. Generally men like one range of scents and females like other spectrum. Also I believe personal cemistry of a male and a female is different and some scents just smell better on man or a woman.

So what I really want to say is that this is not first product labeled "unisex" and this is just marketing plot to appeal to more and more agressive LGBT community. I also belive there are differences between genders and we deserve products "for her" and "for him"

There are unisex products, but imo the market has never really truly taken off. Head and Shoulders, by the way, has about thirty different varients, many of which are pink "for her", so they're just as guilty. The original formulation is seen as being more for men, at least where I live.

Also, I find it a little alarming that you seem to jump to the conclusion that this is the result of some "aggressive" LGBT agenda, when the article, that you claim you read, says that the reason is that consumers are fed up with bad science used by marketing to sell the same product at a higher price.

It's worth echoing some previous comments that sex does not equal gender. You are born male or female, but you become a boy or a girl then a woman or a man. You only believe that some scents are for women because that's what marketing tells you. Did you know Marlboro was released as a woman's cigarette? Sometime later of course, they introduced the Marlboro Man, and marketing told you it was the manliest cigarette you could buy, and now the whole world thinks it.

You'd be shocked at how much of what you believe was designed in marketing departments.

OK, so the definition of some words has changed very recently. Would it make people happier if we made up a new word, or can we agree that it's not important as long as we can understand each other?

Well, in Spanish razor is feminine.
In French it's masculine
I think it's masculine in Italian as well.
But outside of languages that use masculine and feminine, I don't think it matters. 😆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom