What's new

Does your razor need a gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smells are just smells, my dude. They don't have a gender. If I want to smell like roses, vanilla, or coffee fruit it doesn't make me laughable. If my wife wants to smell like leather, tobacco, or Armani Code it's not a problem. Transgressing norms is good. Gender is a construct, and it changes frequently. It is not static, immutable, or necessary for our survival. In light of that, I'd be happy to see gender-neutral or "feminine" aftershave. If I liked how they smelled I might be inclined to give them a try.

As a Marine, I'd be pretty amused if someone were to insist that I were somehow less manly for it.

I agree smells don't have a gender; they aren't a living soul. In my un-important opinion, scent has specificity among men's and women's aisles for obvious reasons. Some guys just arent into Chanel No 5 guy, cucumber or roses and stuff; I definitely get that because I'm one of them. Can't really call a dude gay because he's wearing a pink shirt, ya know? Haha. No judgement here though, 'Dev! (KNIFE HAND)

Well, I was Army. Field artillery. Self-propelled 8 inch and M109 155mm. FDC, then commissioned officer, platoon leader. And I would just as soon smell like a seat cushion in an M577A2 command post with a bottle of CLP spilled on it than something Rue Paul might sniff and find agreeable. Constructs be hanged.

Infantry here :). Having a preference is well and good. It's when you start to make statements that dictate to other men what they should want that I take issue. I've known good men who served with honor discharged unceremoniously because of that kind of sentiment.

As a "masculine" profession goes it's kinda hard to beat "Marine" if you're a guy. Anyone smart would probably hesitate to tell one that he smelled like a girl...

I will reiterate for clarity though. Smells are not gendered. A man cannot "smell like a girl" by putting on perfume...

AShleyC said "a man should want to smell like a man" and there are so many problems with that statement...

If asked, I would certainly not hesitate to tell a man that he smells like a girl, regardless of his occupation. This has nothing to do with smarts, but simple honesty.
Again, you are welcome to your opinion that a man can not "smell like a girl" or "smell girly". I simply disagree and find no problems with AshleyC's statement. It is one man's opinion, and I happen to agree.

If asked, I would certainly not hesitate to tell a man that he smells like a girl, regardless of his occupation. This has nothing to do with smarts, but simple honesty.
Again, you are welcome to your opinion that a man can not "smell like a girl" or "smell girly". I simply disagree and find no problems with AshleyC's statement. It is one man's opinion, and I happen to agree.

I don't understand why you would feel the need to point it out. How another man smells should not be of consequence to you, right?

I am welcome to my opinion, and you yours. But if your opinion hinges on defining masculinity for anyone but yourself you are trespassing, plain and simple.

I agree smells don't have a gender; they aren't a living soul. In my un-important opinion, scent has specificity among men's and women's aisles for obvious reasons. Some guys just arent into Chanel No 5 guy, cucumber or roses and stuff; I definitely get that because I'm one of them. Can't really call a dude gay because he's wearing a pink shirt, ya know? Haha. No judgement here though, 'Dev! (KNIFE HAND)

The most "un-masculine" I ever smelt was the rare occassions we used "Skin So Soft" as a mosquito repellent in the field. The stuff worked as a repellent, but the consensus was that it made you smell like a French...well...A French female without visible means of support. But when you are out in the field at Fort Riley, in the summer, and your battalion has suffered 48 casualties from the heat...you just don't care.

The most "un-masculine" I ever smelt was the rare occassions we used "Skin So Soft" as a mosquito repellent in the field. The stuff worked as a repellent, but the consensus was that it made you smell like a French...well...A French female without visible means of support. But when you are out in the field at Fort Riley, in the summer, and your battalion has suffered 48 casualties from the heat...you just don't care.

I'm just glad I was stationed at Pendleton and not Twenty-nine Palms... though I did do a combined arms exercise there. Hot and miserable.

I'm just glad I was stationed at Pendleton and not Twenty-nine Palms... though I did do a combined arms exercise there. Hot and miserable.
Two or three month-long deployments to NTC/Fort Erwin. Spitting distance from 29 Palms. I once buried a pair of socks after three days of continuous wear. The operational tempo simply did not allow for sane personal hygiene...or sleep. I had worked a non-stop 36 hour shift.

Two or three month-long deployments to NTC/Fort Erwin. Spitting distance from 29 Palms. I once buried a pair of socks after three days of continuous wear. The operational tempo simply did not allow for sane personal hygiene...or sleep. I had worked a non-stop 36 hour shift.

I probably would have said a few kind words when I buried them, lol.

My lovely wife had given up her female razors a long time ago in favor of a Gillette Guard, and hasn't looked back.

Interestingly enough, they have a feminine version of the Gillette Guard, too. It's called Waterless by Venus.

Last edited:
It's all a bunch of crap trying to make more money. Use what works and what you like. Who cares who the target market is. Look at Bevel, also owned by P&G. Marketed towards black folks. It's just a safety razor. Anyone can use it.

Back in the mid-80s, when I was a teenager, my doctor said that I should buy men's razors and cartridges, rather than women's, since the men's shaving products were better quality.

Fast forward to last year, when I decided to switch to DE razors: I opted for the Merkur 25c initially. I ended up getting the Merkur 38c and the Merkur Progress long handle, which are my current favourites. Yes, I prefer a longer handle for shaving armpits, arms and legs. However, I also prefer using heavier weight razors which require no pressure, but just letting the razor do the work.

My mother said that she had a DE razor years ago, and it was not labelled as being for women.

I'll trust what my doctor said years ago: "Hair is hair, no matter where on the body it is located". Obviously, the texture of the hair will vary, but the concept of how to shave it remains the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's all a bunch of crap trying to make more money. Use what works and what you like. Who cares who the target market is. Look at Bevel, also owned by P&G. Marketed towards black folks. It's just a safety razor. Anyone can use it.
That's the same as the SheaMoisture Shave Butter Creme shaving cream. It's marketed towards black men, but I've had great results with it as a white woman.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My wife has no interest in DE razors. Too much hassle and too much risk of injury for her. This is one of the reasons I switched to DE in the first place. Using what you think is a new blade only to find it painfully dull from mowing down leg hair is no fun. Equally off putting is finding a short and curly on your razor as you do your pre-shave prep.

We use the same shampoo, body wash, hand soap, sunscreen, toothpaste, and face wash tough. That just makes sense. In a pinch we will even share a deodorant.

Some things you just need your own though. For me, razors and toothbrushes definitely fall into this category.

Last edited:
"Hair is hair, no matter where on the body it is located"

This is true but there are places on my body that I would not be game to go with my DE or straight razor. I’m still new at this so I do keep a Mach 3 on hand for special assignments. Am I alone in this?

In the perfume trade, some scents are considered suitable for men: Fougere, spicy, smokey, etc. Some scents, particularly florals, are considered suitable for women. However, today, many scents are designed to be genderless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom