What's new

Does your favorite razor still give you irritation? But you still use it and live with it?

My favorite razor does not give me irritation and that's part of the reason. It gives me a close shave without irritations while feeling smooth. In my experience, mild razors gives me more irritations because I have to buff more to get a closer shave. My preference is mid-high efficient razors and those have been Game Changer .84 and Rockwell 6C on plate 6 for me.

Wow thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and insights!

I realize after reading your messages that I may be buffing too much because it’s usually a mild razor.

Today I used the Fatboy (with Astra SP) set on 2 and didn’t buff if possible and really watched my angle the whole shave (turned off the radio as usual to help focus). I rode that cap until I heard the whiskers cutting and didn’t do more then one pass. A nice CSS.

I didn’t get irritation today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had an ongoing problem with skin irritation particularly around the lower neck area near the Adam's Apple. A few things solved the problem for the most part.

Most importantly, I learned to shave without applying pressure on the razor. This is purely a matter of technique. You really have to concentrate and not lose focus. Also, you have to map your face to determine how your hair grows and how to approach the passes.

The second thing is discovering which razors worked the best for me. I have found that the Rockwell 6S, Yates Precision 921-M, Timeless Ti .68 SB and Paradigm Diamondback provide the most opportunity for an irritation-free shave for me. My technique has now improved to the point where I can use other razors without irritation but those razors mentioned are almost mindless and very smooth.

Thirdly, I use Grooming Dept Pre-Shave. I consider this my secret weapon. I work some in on my face before the first and second passes.

Fourth, I have found proper preparation is essential. I always shower before I shave. In other words, my beard is moist and my skin supple. After leaving the shower I apply the Pre-Shave product mentioned above, then apply a hot towel (you can heat a damp towel in the microwave) to my face before I apply lather.

Fifth, I use top tier soaps. For me, this includes Grooming Dept., Declaration Grooming, A&E Kaizen base soaps, and Wholly Kaw, to name a few.

I hope this helps.

If you are getting this kind of iritation after 7 years it's not razor. I'ts you. Harsh part is over now let's elaborate :)

My favorite razor is Rockwel 6S. It is one of razors that is known for being mild. For me is mild and effective. Perfect. BUT! It can still irritate the HECK our of my neck.

Irritation comes not only from razor and its' agresiveness. There is also blade selection, lather quality, beard prep and shaving tehnique.

If you haven't done that already I suggest you get a sampler pack to see if there is blade that suits you better than Astra. My skin is not sensitive per se, but it dislikes shaving. I get better shave with Nacet, a blade much sharper than Astra. Because they cut trough wiskers with more ease and there is less tugging.

I would also suggest you re-evaluate which soaps do you use, maybe what you have now is not that great. Also check your lather, maybe it is too dry. I was doing that mistake for a long time, my lathers were too dry and that lead to iritation.

One thing that could improve shave quality is number of passes. ATG is really harsh on skin, specially on neck. I never do ATG pass on my neck. Instead I do 1 WTG pass and then XTG pass. Maybe you can try WTG before you do ATG

@Leo K, if you really want an irritation-free shave, lean the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. Within a month of daily shaving you would look back.
I can not agree with you more. I am from DE, injector, AC, shavette, I think I will settle in Gem, but I fell into the rabbit hole of SR.

Thank you gentlemen. I continue to use your advice and it looks like the pre-shave is helping a lot. I only had one little bump yesterday (man do those things itch) but otherwise a great shave with the Fatboy.

Today no itching bumps (again Fatboy) so awesome! Going slow watching the angle. I used too much pre-shave oil and so my Fatboy couldn’t glide as usual but still a DFS.

My the grain of my whiskers are left to right horizontal and I can’t shave sideways yet with a DE - never tried it but maybe baby steps so I can try WTG.

Now I’m thinking of trying more pre-shave products for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some great suggestions above!!

You should also consider mapping your beard to better understand what you are doing with each pass.

I can not agree with you more. I am from DE, injector, AC, shavette, I think I will settle in Gem, but I fell into the rabbit hole of SR.

Haha, I am just too scared to get cut with a straight.

I almost bought a straight some years ago. Even had some contacts who would shave alongside me to help. But in the end I didn't want to strop and worry about sharpening a blade.

Some great suggestions above!!

You should also consider mapping your beard to better understand what you are doing with each pass.

I recently grew a beard for 6 months or so (last year), and saw my grain for the first time. It was strange to me, as my grain basically goes horizontal right to left across my cheeks and neck.

I am trying to shave sideways with my Fatboy this week to go with the grain, but it's so clumsy and doesn't feel right. Baby steps!

I used to be prone to irritation (spots etc.) from milder razors. Fortunately, I bought an R41 and my skin has never felt or looked better.

I read a great line from a B&B member a couple of months ago which I think is just perfect:

"I'd rather feel the blade during the shave, than after it."

I used to be prone to irritation (spots etc.) from milder razors. Fortunately, I bought an R41 and my skin has never felt or looked better.

I read a great line from a B&B member a couple of months ago which I think is just perfect:

"I'd rather feel the blade during the shave, than after it."

Thanks for that line! When I put my Fatboy up to a higher number my skin does feel really good after. I'll have to try that.

Thanks for that line! When I put my Fatboy up to a higher number my skin does feel really good after. I'll have to try that.
It's a good one isn't it :)

It taught me that blade feel is not the enemy but a friend that stops me from adding any unnecessary pressure.

Another non-irritating shave with the Fatboy today. Found that I had Derby blades left from when I was beginning wet-shaving (2013) so decided to try a different blade to experiment (as suggested by you gentleman here). The Derby treated me just fine so far! Great advice to try a different blade!

Top Bottom