What's new

Does your favorite razor still give you irritation? But you still use it and live with it?

I've been wet-shaving since 2013. Usually a daily shaver. My favorite combo is a Schick G8 (with Chinese made Schick blade) or a Gillette Blue Tip (with Astra Superior Platinum blade) with a tallow-based soap usually. One pass ATG (hard to shave sideways on cheek and neck so I go North to South and call it done.)

However I still notice irritation on some days that keeps coming back, mainly itchy bumps like I used to get with my Gillette Fusion. It's not severe but I wish it didn't happen. It's probably angle mishaps or bad technique on some days. I'm starting to realize it just may be what I have to live with.

Do others experience this with their favorite kit and just live with it regardless, damn the consequences? I've been going around and around in my mind what to do so it helps just to talk about it to someone who understands.

Not even sure what I am asking, haha!

Brother Leo,

I can't imagine getting irritation from a Gillette Blue Tip razor. That's about as mild a razor there is. Suggest you do some experimenting with different blades. Also try some different soaps, including non-tallow.

I presume you've already experimented with differing angles and pressures?

I'm not a fan of shaving oil, but you might also experiment with rubbing in a little shaving oil thoroughly into the skin before lathering and shaving.

Let's see what others suggest. Let us know how it goes. This much is certain: A razor that routinely gives irritation should not be a favorite razor.

Brother Leo,

I can't imagine getting irritation from a Gillette Blue Tip razor. That's about as mild a razor there is. Suggest you do some experimenting with different blades. Also try some different soaps, including non-tallow.

I presume you've already experimented with differing angles and pressures?

I'm not a fan of shaving oil, but you might also experiment with rubbing in a little shaving oil thoroughly into the skin before lathering and shaving.

Let's see what others suggest. Let us know how it goes. This much is certain: A razor that routinely gives irritation should not be a favorite razor.

Hi Santamariasteve!

Thank you for you suggestions I really appreciate it. Maybe I should get my Blue Tip out again and maybe that will be better than the Schick Injector now. I have to admit I haven't used the Blue Tip in a month or two.

I think my favorites are based on the design and not the practical use and there is my problem!

I just started using shaving oil and it's hard getting used to, but it seems to helping so I'm going to continue it and see how it goes.

I've tried different angles and pressure but will continue to try. I may have to ride the cap even more than I usually do. For the injector I've always been very careful to ride the face/cap but it can be tricky.

I will try my other mild Gillette's again too and see how it goes.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Santamariasteve!

Thank you for you suggestions I really appreciate it. Maybe I should get my Blue Tip out again and maybe that will be better than the Schick Injector now. I have to admit I haven't used the Blue Tip in a month or two.

I think my favorites are based on the design and not the practical use and there is my problem!

I just started using shaving oil and it's hard getting used to, but it seems to helping so I'm going to continue it and see how it goes.

I've tried different angles and pressure but will continue to try. I may have to ride the cap even more than I usually do. For the injector I've always been very careful to ride the face/cap but it can be tricky.

Thank you for your help!
I think the problem with shaving oils is that many guys use too much. I suggest just a few drops, and to rub it well into the skin until it "disappears." The purpose, I understand, is not to make the skin more "slick," but to make the skin more supple and thereby to reduce the likelihood of nicks, cuts and irritations.

It sounds to me like you're making a reasonable effort to correctly shave. "Riding the cap" is important with many razors, especially injector razors.

Oh, one more suggestion. Have you tried shaving with cool or neutral temperature water? That too can reduce irritation.

Best regards.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Good suggestions above. Cold water splash before and after and rinsing the razor while shaving can help reduce irritation. How's the lather when you shave? Are you getting good protection from it? Do you reapply lather with every pass? No pass or touch-up should be done without the lather protection. How many other blades have you tried besides the Astra SP? What you are experiencing, I also experienced. I kept trying things with the goal of continually minimizing the irritation. It has gotten a lot better for me...a lot!

I think Astra SP's are sharp but the only time I used one it gave me razor burn. This happened from the first use until I trashed the blade after about two weeks of shaves. I had some irritation when using that blade in all of my razors. I have not tried another Astra SP to see if it is still a problem blade, but there are many blades that I use that do not give me that problem.

I like how smooth and comfortable the GWS Saloon pack blades from India are. Voshod's also agree with me. If you PM me your address I will mail you a few blades I find more comfortable than the Astra SP. Some people have a reaction to some coatings. Maybe you are pressing hard enough with a mild razor that the hair is getting cut below the skin? Maybe settle for DFS instead of chasing BBS?

Good suggestions above. Cold water splash before and after and rinsing the razor while shaving can help reduce irritation. How's the lather when you shave? Are you getting good protection from it? Do you reapply lather with every pass? No pass or touch-up should be done without the lather protection. How many other blades have you tried besides the Astra SP? What you are experiencing, I also experienced. I kept trying things with the goal of continually minimizing the irritation. It has gotten a lot better for me...a lot!

I try to get my lather so it has a wet sheen and it seems to protect well, as I never get a sting from my Pinaud aftershave. The irritation seems to arrive hours later after the shave. I usually just so one pass and touch up.

Yeah it's time to try some new things now and see if I can turn this around. For years I was okay and then this!

Thank you!

I think Astra SP's are sharp but the only time I used one it gave me razor burn. This happened from the first use until I trashed the blade after about two weeks of shaves. I had some irritation when using that blade in all of my razors. I have not tried another Astra SP to see if it is still a problem blade, but there are many blades that I use that do not give me that problem.

I like how smooth and comfortable the GWS Saloon pack blades from India are. Voshod's also agree with me. If you PM me your address I will mail you a few blades I find more comfortable than the Astra SP. Some people have a reaction to some coatings. Maybe you are pressing hard enough with a mild razor that the hair is getting cut below the skin? Maybe settle for DFS instead of chasing BBS?

Yeah for years I loved the Astra SP's and they worked fine, very smooth. I've tried Derby's, Voshgod's (sp?), Shark and Feather to name a few. I usually settle just fine with a CCS or DFS. Looks like it's back to the drawing board!

I think what happened is that I changed razors too much, from Injector to DE and that through me off recently!

I'm thinking I may be pressing too hard lately, sometimes what I think is no pressure actually has pressure.

Also, I think I have to accept that Injector blades are not for me sadly. This really bums me out.

Thank you!

I would try a variety of blades. If you message me, I can send you a bunch of different blades to try out, for free of course. I have enough for a few life times

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
If possible, try taking a couple of days off from shaving to allow your skin to heal. This works for me, and also helps get rid of bumps.

Also the other suggestions are very good to try after giving your face a break.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yeah for years I loved the Astra SP's and they worked fine, very smooth. I've tried Derby's, Voshgod's (sp?), Shark and Feather to name a few. I usually settle just fine with a CCS or DFS. Looks like it's back to the drawing board!

I think what happened is that I changed razors too much, from Injector to DE and that through me off recently!

I'm thinking I may be pressing too hard lately, sometimes what I think is no pressure actually has pressure.

Also, I think I have to accept that Injector blades are not for me sadly. This really bums me out.

Thank you!

We are rooting for you to find the right combo of hardware, software and technique!

This website is a good place to look at blade sharpness and longevity comparison: Razor Blade Sharpness Summary with Comparison Chart - https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

And this site is a good place to throw together a sampler pack: Buy Individual Razor Blades for Double Edge, Single Edge and Shavettes - http://www.tryablade.com/

Both websites helped me find blades that work for me.

Please don't give up on injectors. The Schick Injector Type G loaded with a Chick blade is fine, actually it's marvelous. It's medium aggression, and should not give anyone irritation. The more I hear from you, the more I'm inclined to think the problem may be your technique somehow has deteriorated. Right now the chief suspect is too much pressure.

I’m really grateful for everyone’s suggestions it means a lot! What a great community! Wow!

I’m looking into these suggestions big time. Tomorrow I’m going to strive to stay real conscious of my angle and take it slower as a first step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Santamariasteve!

Thank you for your help!
I started out using Preshave oil, but it just didn’t seem to get the job done. I tried Proraso Preshave and it worked great. Sometimes I even apply it between passes it adds a layer of slickness that the oil just never did.

When I get irritation, I can always trace it back to my technique. I get a little lazy and hit the same spot more than once in a pass without the protection of the lather. Or, I get sloppy with the blade angle.

My irritation occurs on the right side of my neck. Nowhere else, just there. As a right hander you would think it would be the left side where i backhand the razor. But the right side has a patch of hair that grows in a circular pattern. It’s hard to get a close shave there and I keep trying, even though I know it’s going to cause irritation. Why do we do that to ourselves?

I find a super mild razor can give me irritation because I end up using pressure trying to feel the blade and I may have to go too many passes trying to get smooth. I have to stick to 1 or 2 passes most days. I can occasionally chase BBS with more passes but not more than 1 day at a time. And that is with any razor I have used. My neck gets irritation even if I do not shave from the collar of my shirts or coat. Just sensitive I suppose.

My "fix" was 1 pass for a while and then moved up to 2 most times. Sometimes have to drop back to 1. Have to shave every day and nail the technique in order to get a good shave in 1 or 2 passes. And the fact that it is not BBS is worth it, as it is still good and clean, to not have to deal with irritation.

Angle, pressure (or lack there of), nivea sensitive balm... after an aftershave for me. I went balm only for a while until I got rid of irritation. Took a while to figure out. You will get there.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

If your razor is indenting your skin at point of contact, use less pressure.

Also, ATG-only shaving can be rough with any blade - even something as awesome as a Schick Injector blade. If your blade pushes against the whiskers and your skin bunches up ahead of the blade (like it did for my chin last night), the angle is wrong and forcing the blade through the whiskers can both pull on the roots and set the edge to smack into your skin (not the most skin-friendly combination — though better than letting a crocodile bite your whiskers and using an alcohol-based aftershave when it’s done).

Try a day off. Try preshaves. Try rituals from the Necronomicon. But please also consider working on using less pressure and finding the angle your whiskers are most easily cut.

Top Bottom