What's new

Does you Teenager Use a Safety Razor

My son is turning 14 and will soon have to do his first shave. I am hoping he will go DE but I am guessing he will be too afraid… he will get all lathered up but then grab the cart at the last minute.

Mine has been using a DE since he started shaving about five years ago with a Merkur 34c I gave him. I've since given him a Feather ASD2 and a preWW2 Tech, but he still prefers the 34c with GSB blades. My stock of the latter is going downhill fast.
I think he's tried carts a few times while away at college, but wasn't impressed.

I was just curious does anyone else Teenager or Young Adult use a Safety Razor
Guess I' want to know if it's considered hip or square.

My 19 year old originally started with the standard throwaway razor, then I taught him
to use a Safety razor. He's still using it.

Recently I asked him why and he said that it's better for his face, avoids ingrown hairs and acne.

Finally something that we can agree on.

BTW his two favorites are the Feather and the Personna Blades. Which are my favorite too.
Also he never has to buy any blades, just bums them from his Dad.
Mine have all been using them since about the age of 15 !!!!!

My son (16) started shaving with carts but has switched to the SLOC. Like many boys his age, they tend to let their beards grow for several weeks before they think of shaving. The open comb is just the ticket. Now I have to teach him good pre and post shave routines.

This past Christmas I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my nephew uses a safety razor. However, he did not have any sort of blade buddy, etc. so I made him a one out of a broth can.

I was just curious does anyone else Teenager or Young Adult use a Safety Razor
Guess I' want to know if it's considered hip or square.

My 19 year old originally started with the standard throwaway razor, then I taught him
to use a Safety razor. He's still using it.

Recently I asked him why and he said that it's better for his face, avoids ingrown hairs and acne.

Finally something that we can agree on.

BTW his two favorites are the Feather and the Personna Blades. Which are my favorite too.
Also he never has to buy any blades, just bums them from his Dad.
Our eldest started to shave with 16, i initially wanted him use a safety razor instantly, but after having met one of his school friends who tried shaving with his dad’s Mühle R41 by himself and scared himself quite badly. I chickened out and started him off with a cartridge razor, some Truefitt & Hill No 10 cream, and a simple brush.
For his 18th birthday, i bought one of these King C Gillette cases with a three piece razor and some blades and showed him how to use it.

No sons of my own, do have a 12 year old Grandson. He has watched me shave and thought it looked cool and smelled way better then his Dads foam from a can.

I will start searching for a 48-50 SuperSpeed for him sometime soon.

Be well
Jay

My son is 11 and is not quite there yet. He did come up to me the other day and say that he'll have to start shaving soon, then showed me his "mustache". I had to resist the urge to lick my thumb, rub his lip and pretend like it was dirt!

It is a very fine peach fuzz at best, but the day will come and I'll have to walk him through it.

Three sons. When they were teenagers they all used safety razors, but probably got a few shaves from Bic disposables that were left over from days when I traveled more.

In their mid to upper twenties, they all still use safety razors. The youngest has an excellent full beard, so his Merkur 23 only sees edges and neck. He has a decent Maggard two band brush and a tube of Kapo Fresh cream in the den.

The middle son grows few whiskers, so the saloon pack of half blades for his RazoRock Eco may be a lifetime investment. No brush or shave soap. I think face soap works for him.

The oldest is the most engaged shaver - face and head. He has more than one razor, with a vintage Tech in the mix. I can't remember if he currently has a slant. Astra SPs are his blade of choice, Cella the soap.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I taught my son how to shave with a vintage Gillette without a blade when he was about 8 years old. When he started sprouting whiskers around the age of 16 or 17 he already knew what to do. I gave him a late 40’s Tech, a synth, and a couple of citrus soaps, like Don Marco, and some splash. He was off am running. He is 21 now. He did try a couple of more modern systems and disposables, but he is a smart kid and knew right away they were inferior. He now runs a Razorock Mamba as his main razor.

Being new to DE shaving myself I unfortunately introduced my son to my previous shaving technique with cartridges. I am trying to encourage him across to my new found process but so far he is reluctant. He was only shaving every one to two weeks but that is creeping up to every week or twice a week now.

He has a birthday coming up in September, any recommendations on what to get him to bring him over to the light? I started out with a King C Gillette and was going to get him one of his own. But reading this, I am keen to hear how giving out vintage razors, for those of you who did, was accepted by your teenagers?

If well regarded, any recommendations for 'cooler' vintage razors over ones to avoid?

Thanks.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I straight razor shave and have an abundance of DE blades to use. I got my wife and older daughter set up for leg shaving. Synthetic brushes, hard soap, 34C and 60‘s Super Speed for my daughter. My daughter digs the vintage vibe and saving the world factor of ditching plastics. My wife is just playing along and having fun at the same time.

Top Bottom