What's new

Does you Teenager Use a Safety Razor

I was just curious does anyone else Teenager or Young Adult use a Safety Razor
Guess I' want to know if it's considered hip or square.

My 19 year old originally started with the standard throwaway razor, then I taught him
to use a Safety razor. He's still using it.

Recently I asked him why and he said that it's better for his face, avoids ingrown hairs and acne.

Finally something that we can agree on.

BTW his two favorites are the Feather and the Personna Blades. Which are my favorite too.
Also he never has to buy any blades, just bums them from his Dad.

My son is ten so not ready just yet.

However, when it's time I will probably set him up with a VDH TTO like the one I keep in my travel bag, a tuck of GSBs, a Plissoft and some Proraso green.

This is how I intend to teach him. If he subsequently moves on to some other format that will be his choice to make. Though I will likely have a thing or two to say about it. ;)

I plan on having mine make many test lathers in order to get that dialed in. Then, move on to practice strokes with an empty razor a few times to get used to the feel before finally moving on to the blade.

Our main bathroom has dual sinks so I'll probably take advantage of that for some shave-alongs.

My attempt to get my stepson to use a DE failed. However, taking him to a real barbershop instead of the places his sisters took him DID take, and he just got his barber’s license. He’s also using the Feather DX Pearl folder I gave him (on clients, not himself). I’ll take it!

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
My three sons have taken to the popular trend of sporting beards. I'm sick or telling two of them they look like men that are holding poddles in their mouths and to get a shave. The youngest one can only manage peach fuzz just under chin he looks like Shaggy from Scooby doo. I don't even tell him to shave the cat will take it off when she licks his face 🤦‍♂️. Oh and apologies to my Bearded Brothers ✌️.

I was just curious does anyone else Teenager or Young Adult use a Safety Razor
Guess I' want to know if it's considered hip or square.

My 19 year old originally started with the standard throwaway razor, then I taught him
to use a Safety razor. He's still using it.

Recently I asked him why and he said that it's better for his face, avoids ingrown hairs and acne.

Finally something that we can agree on.

BTW his two favorites are the Feather and the Personna Blades. Which are my favorite too.
Also he never has to buy any blades, just bums them from his Dad.
I'm 30 now, but when I joined like 10 years ago that's when I made the change :)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My son is ten so not ready just yet.
I gave my 15yo a DE and told him I would show him how to use it when I got home that night. When I did get home he was clean shaven, so I asked him who showed him how to shave (I have a 21 and 17yo who DE shave). It turned out my 10yo who used to come and shave with me (without a blade) had made quite a success of teaching him the basics.

I started with my grandpa's slim and my son will start with that same slim. If he continues to use it I have no idea. But he's got some peach fuzz starting now so the day will be soon.

Though my plan to grab a can of barbasol has changed. That's what I started with with my grandpa. I recently used it again and it was not great. I'll use a better cream with my son.

I tried a DE razor when I was 15 (in 2004), it was total fiasco as I didn't know how to use it, so had to throw away that $3 razor.
Later, when I was 21 I finally switched from Mach 3 to SR and later to DE.

My 8 yo son is too young but he has already decided that my badger brush will be his when he grows up. I told him that we would buy him a new nice set, but he insisted that he won't that particular brush 😂

I tried a DE razor when I was 15 (in 2004), it was total fiasco as I didn't know how to use it, so had to throw away that $3 razor.
Later, when I was 21 I finally switched from Mach 3 to SR and later to DE.

My 8 yo son is too young but he has already decided that my badger brush will be his when he grows up. I told him that we would buy him a new nice set, but he insisted that he won't that particular brush 😂
She didn’t claim it per se, but when I found out my daughter had been using my Razorock Mamba, I told her to keep it ….

My son prefers the electrics that I used to use. Let's him quickly shave in under 2 minutes versus the 5-10 minutes for a good wet shave. BBS and DFS not as important to an age cohort that often sports anything from a few days of growth to a full beard.

My oldest son is only 10, however he's very interested in how I shave. He's already claimed my King C Gilette as his when he starts shaving, which works out perfect since I don't use it anymore. He's been practicing building lather for about a month now. He really likes using the silicone slow feeder dog bowl to bowl lather. It's been allot of fun to teach him how to lather and am looking forward to teaching him how to shave with a safety razor. Below is my son proudly sporting his first face lather!
20230301_155720.jpg

My boys are in their 20’s and still use the stupidly expensive Gillette carts. My wife buys them quite often (and shares them with them) as well. 👎

P.s. If I am in a rush, I will use my old Gillette razor (now my wife’s) in the shower. Still gives a great quick shave with them 5 blades.

Top Bottom