What's new

Does you scale gets wet during the shave?

My razors get wet, my hands get wet, the scales can get wet It's wet-shaving, things get wet. If it was dry shaving, things would get dry but it's wet-shaving....not underwater or submerged shaving though. A drop of water can cause rust but lets be realistic about things.
I can appreciate trying to keep things in good working order, I also appreciate not needing or wanting 'one more thing' to worry about. So I don't worry, or care; if the razor gets wet, it gets wet. Rust in the pivot may happen someday, so far it hasn't, and if it does I'll fix it. I haven't seen a rusty pivot take a razor out of commission yet. Some of my razors were 200 yr old and arrived looking like they were left out in the rain for a few decades. They all cleaned up, and work just fine. So even if a teensy bit of rust appears in a pivot, all is not lost.
Proper care, mini-drop of oil in the pivot once in a while, drying correctly after use, proper storage - etc - all seems to work well for me. I use mineral oil btw - it works very well when applied correctly. I dry razors open over night, and store in boxes with VCI paper afterwards. Some just lie out on my bench though... I"m not too fussy about it really.

When I am shaving at a measured pace or using a sponge to wipe away spent lather, then I rarely have any issue keeping the scales dry. But they can get wet if I am rinsing under the faucet and then quickly start an east-west pass, especially around the chin when I especially want a clean blade to begin. When using a shavette, getting all the soap residue out from the blade exposure groove sometimes means there is water left there or on my fingers. Which will then drip down towards the pivot once the east-west pass is started. Drying the shank and my fingers or just moving more slowly can avoid this from happening.

Why don't you just hit it with the hair dryer after grooming the moustache??? Not the case for everyone, I know, but I always warm the blade a little afterward. Viable option, if there is a dryer handy! But to answer the question, the scales might see some moisture, but rarely the pivot.

I've always been careful not to get any water on the scales when shaving, drying my hands before I hold the razor before each pass. I learned from watching Lynn Abrams video not to get any water between the scales as it's hard to dry and will caused rust if not cleaned properly, especially the pins so that's what I've been doing, I also figure it's less effort to dry my hands than to dry the razor thoroughly. About of curiosity, what do you guys do?

I think it's important to keep the pivot pin dry to avoid rust. As others have said, rinse with the blade pointing down then give it a quick wipe so there's no water left to run down into the pivot.

If you do that right you'll automatically keep the scales dry too.

Toe down rinsing the blade only up to the shoulder.
No runny lathers
Very seldom does water get on to the tang and I dry it immediately if it does.
Dry hands between passes
Rest razor on a corner of a towel at 270 degrees with pivot higher than toe and end of the scales. That way the edge never touches the countertop and water cannot get into the pivot or on to the tang.
I have only once allowed water into the pivot due to a runny lather and I still kick myself for it.
I dry the blade thoroughly before folding it into the scales
Before closing the razor I double check that there are no drops that may have splashed into the scales. It actually happened once and to close the razor on it would have meant corrosion for sure.

Living in arid Arizona has advantages if you store your razor in the bathroom not used for showering, but abusing or neglecting the razor is only going to lead to oxidation, corrosion and rust. Once the razor is taken out of rotation I hone it, oil it, and leave it in a display case which is extremely dry. I have no oxidation issues.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I do my best to never let water into the pivot. Always keep the pivot higher when rinsing. Come to think of it my hands are never wet either. Well, hardly ever wet lol.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've always been careful not to get any water on the scales when shaving, drying my hands before I hold the razor before each pass. I learned from watching Lynn Abrams video not to get any water between the scales as it's hard to dry and will caused rust if not cleaned properly, especially the pins so that's what I've been doing, I also figure it's less effort to dry my hands than to dry the razor thoroughly. About of curiosity, what do you guys do?
No but if you do, just lay or stand the razor with the blade open for a couple of hours and it will dry. I always leave my razors open to make sure the edge is perfectly dry.

Top Bottom