What's new

Does you scale gets wet during the shave?

I've always been careful not to get any water on the scales when shaving, drying my hands before I hold the razor before each pass. I learned from watching Lynn Abrams video not to get any water between the scales as it's hard to dry and will caused rust if not cleaned properly, especially the pins so that's what I've been doing, I also figure it's less effort to dry my hands than to dry the razor thoroughly. About of curiosity, what do you guys do?

Yes, I keep my hands and the scales dry. I rinse the blade of soap under running water, just the blade. The pivot never gets wet.

I also wipe the razor well with a microfiber and set it open on a glass butter tray to dry overnight.

A goose neck faucet is a cheap investment if you rinse under running water, it will raise the faucet well out of the way and keep you from hitting it.

Reactions: Wid
The talk of keeping the razor dry while shaving sounds like science fiction to me. It certainly would be nice but does not seem compatible with my perception of real life. My razors are always drenched. I spend a lot of effort drying them after each use. I do not have a lot a Kamisori, but I certainly enjoy the fact that they are much easier to dry off.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I try never to raise the point of the razor above the level of the pivot during the shave. I find this helps greatly in keeping the scales and pivot dry.

I always try to keep the shank/tang dry throughout the shave, I do however rinse the blade with water during and after the shave. After the shave, I also wipe the space between the scales with tissue paper.
If there is a possibility that some lather or water got to the pivot, then I lubricate it again with a drop of Ballistol.
As I rotate through my razors and it will be more than two months before its next use, I let the razor dry out for a few more hours and then lubricate blade, shank and tang with a sponge applicator and some Ballistol.

B.

I use a piece of toilet paper to wipe the blade on between passes. Why?
  • It stops the soap and whiskers clogging the drain
  • It keeps the razor dry & avoids rust
  • Simple, cheap, clean, saves water; no brainer.

As hard as I try I get the scales wet at times. After I’m done I rinse and dry the best I can, wipe off with tissue and strop on linen. I keep the blade open overnight to dry.

I don’t have an issue keeping the scales dry.

I avoid using runny lather. That’s the main one. I’m firmly in the wiping camp when it comes to cleaning soap off the blade. I use a natural sponge on the edge of the sink for this. At the end of the shave it’s a two times rinse and wipe under the faucet followed by a clean cotton towel. I always have a finger over the pivot when rinsing. Before storing I wipe the blade and inside the scales with toilet paper for good measure. At this stage there is really no water. It’s really just for piece of mind in case something got past me.

I store my razors in a humidity controlled humidor at 45% RH at room temperature with VCI paper. Never had an issue with rust.

Thick lather helps to keep the scales dry for the first two passes.

I clean the blade with a cloth.
I keep my hands dry and I don't rinse the razor.

My last pass is with soapy water,
so I dry my hands frequently for that pass.

Last edited:
Me, the razor, the cabinet, the sink, the mirror, the floor...

We all get very wet!

I havent had any issues. I just properly dry and mop when Im done. If I was to ever find rust Id replace the pins. No big deal. But Ive never had a problem.

I try not to let my hands, the scales and especially the pivot hole get wet, and dry my hands when necessary while shaving. And when I am done shaving, I use a towel to dry the blade and tang, and then strop on linen followed by leather. It's then into a silicone treated sleeve in a plastic tub with a desiccant pack. Call me paranoid, but we have had a crazy wet and humid summer.

The way I see it, i really dought some guy back in the 1800s was that crazy about the use of his razor. He used it, rinced it off and set it to dry after wiping off the biggest part of water. So this is how i use mine.
I do leave it open on a shelf to dry before closing it up and putting it away in the razor dresser. Just be sure to dry between the scales well. I know some guys who use the wifes hair drier to dry the pivot area. Whatever.

G

Guest2023

It always gets wet but I dont care. I just rinse, wipe it off and leave it open till next use.

Reactions: Wid
It's a good idea to keep water out of the scales, but I think it is impossible to do that all the time. After all, it is wet shaving. Looking at used razors, I often find gunk in the pivot, hairs, etc. So I rinse my entire razor under running hot after each shave. That includes within the scales. Then I dry between the scales with toilet paper. That is easy to do and helps the insides of the scales perfectly clean. After leaving the razor to dry in a warm dry place, I put it away wrapped in VCI paper. No problems so far.

Top Bottom