What's new

Does wearing a hat out of shower cause hair loss in this situation?

Hi all

I wear my hair/bangs backwards, kind of like a slicked back look but without product, but to achieve this I comb my hair/bangs back when I get out of the shower and my hair is still wet. I then put a tight hat on to my hair and let it dry for the subsequent hour or so, molding the hair into place in a pulled back kind of style (but again with no product). Would this method lead to traction alopecia or any sort of hair loss/thinning/balding? Any advice here valued.

not a doc, but friction or traction alopecia appears to be possible.

also hopefully your hat isnt dirty enough to cause follicle infection which could lead to loss.

also you could be breaking hairs.

are you seeing issues

Traction alopecia was what sent me on this paranoid wormhole! Thank you for responding!

No, not seeing any issues as I have always worn a hat out of the shower to matte my hair :) But recently started styling my hair back and use the hat as I loathe product. Any non-product alternatives you're aware of?

cut off t shirt sleeve? bandanas? light beanie.

those might be easier on your hairline than a brim.

once in a while i’ll pull my hair back with a “rubber” band instead of a hair band and i can feel the pull on some hairs and its not pleasant. dont do that

Within ten minutes of getting out of the shower and applying pomade to my slicked back hair, I put a hat on my wet head. Every day. I haven’t noticed any hair loss whatsoever. And I’ll be 63 years-old next month. YMMV.

... to achieve this I comb my hair/bangs back when I get out of the shower and my hair is still wet. I then put a tight hat on to my hair and let it dry for the subsequent hour or so, molding the hair into place in a pulled back kind of style (but again with no product). Would this method lead to traction alopecia or any sort of hair loss/thinning/balding? Any advice here valued.
As long as the hat doesn't pull on the hair, and only presses it flat, I would not worry.
You could probably speed up the drying by using a tight hair net instead.
Like this:
proxy.php

Maybe even use a blow dryer with it too.

Top Bottom