What's new

Does the Windsor Pro SB 90 DE razor have blade alignment issues?

You put in the link for the sale page.
Some of the Att SB 90 pros did have undersized pins. If you do get one load it like a vintage razor, cap down drop the blade on, place the base on top, screw the handle on and lightly shake it before tightening down. You can also hold the sides unlike a vintage or Era since the blade tabs are covered on the Sb 90.
Even if it does have the undersized pins it will align correctly if you load it this way.

You put in the link for the sale page.
Some of the Att SB 90 pros did have undersized pins. If you do get one load it like a vintage razor, cap down drop the blade on, place the base on top, screw the handle on and lightly shake it before tightening down. You can also hold the sides unlike a vintage or Era since the blade tabs are covered on the Sb 90.
Even if it does have the undersized pins it will align correctly if you load it this way.
Thanks a lot. Appreciate it. So the shaking helps the blade to fall into the right place?

Sorry about posting the wrong link. Here's the link I meant to post.
Above The Tie "Windsor Pro" - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/above-the-tie-windsor-pro.597682/

I shake it to make sure the blade is loose and will move when the handle gets tightened down. When the blade starts to bend it should drop into place. Just have the cap upside down so the blade can freely get pulled into alignment.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Good to know. Undersized pins are likely the reason, either those on my Windsor Pro are too short/small as well, they really can't be smaller to hold the blade, IMO. But alignment wasn't an issue.

So if you are wondering if you are getting sold a dud, tricky... would suggest to use Paypal in case you are worried.

The Windsor Pro SB90 shaves very good. It just doesn't inspire. There are no particular modern clamping or other design ideas, the handle and everything is very plain Jane.

It's a bit like a RazoRock Game Changer .84, but with more audible feedback.

Good luck of you decide to get one, but by default this is a really good razor that suffers a bit from being somewhat uninspiring.

I remember mine also have a very slight misalignment, but nothing major. For me, the SB90 is a decent razor, but nothing mindblowing and it also had a good amount of blade chatter. The other thing that I didn't like was the handle. It was so well polished that there's basically no grip on it even though the handle has a knurling patter and I was very confused as to why it was like that. The razor is made in China so there's no surprise. I have tried a couple of Chinese razors and my conclusion is that they just throw spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks on.

I don't think they do an extensive testing of their razors to see how the razor would perform and if people are going to like it or not, they just make something that looks like a razor and also fits the blades to some degree and that's it. Absolutely every Chinese razor that I've used had that feeling - it shaves, but it feels odd and it doesn't feel precise or made by people who know what's going on and pretty much all of the Chinese razors that I've used had blade chatter and they are more like imitations than a real thing.

I do see quite a lot of new Chinese made stainless and even titanium razors on the internet, but this time for real I'm not going to buy one. I was fooled one too many times and I'm not going to be tricked once again.

Good to know. Undersized pins are likely the reason, either those on my Windsor Pro are too short/small as well, they really can't be smaller to hold the blade, IMO. But alignment wasn't an issue.

So if you are wondering if you are getting sold a dud, tricky... would suggest to use Paypal in case you are worried.

The Windsor Pro SB90 shaves very good. It just doesn't inspire. There are no particular modern clamping or other design ideas, the handle and everything is very plain Jane.

It's a bit like a RazoRock Game Changer .84, but with more audible feedback.

Good luck of you decide to get one, but by default this is a really good razor that suffers a bit from being somewhat uninspiring.
Thanks. That's an interesting take on a razor: uninspiring. I know what you mean though. I've had razors that shaved great that hardly ever got used because they were...uninspiring. (eg. Razorock SLOC)

You know what's interesting, I looked at the ATT site to see what the underside of the top cap looked like and could not find one single image of the underside (and the pins). Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Double Edge Parts - https://www.abovethetie.com/products/double-edge-safety-razor-parts

I remember mine also have a very slight misalignment, but nothing major. For me, the SB90 is a decent razor, but nothing mindblowing and it also had a good amount of blade chatter. The other thing that I didn't like was the handle. It was so well polished that there's basically no grip on it even though the handle has a knurling patter and I was very confused as to why it was like that. The razor is made in China so there's no surprise. I have tried a couple of Chinese razors and my conclusion is that they just throw spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks on.

I don't think they do an extensive testing of their razors to see how the razor would perform and if people are going to like it or not, they just make something that looks like a razor and also fits the blades to some degree and that's it. Absolutely every Chinese razor that I've used had that feeling - it shaves, but it feels odd and it doesn't feel precise or made by people who know what's going on and pretty much all of the Chinese razors that I've used had blade chatter and they are more like imitations than a real thing.

I do see quite a lot of new Chinese made stainless and even titanium razors on the internet, but this time for real I'm not going to buy one. I was fooled one too many times and I'm not going to be tricked once again.
Thanks. The chatter etc. sounds nasty. Appreciate your feedback on it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You know what's interesting, I looked at the ATT site to see what the underside of the top cap looked like and could not find one single image of the underside (and the pins). Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
I will take a photo, it's just a few minutes after midnight here, so give me a while! 😀

I like the SB 90 and Att are are great to deal with. The Sb 90 is made with a smaller cap with less blade coverage to "sing" like the classic series. I like the audible sound of it, it's not chatter like a DS Z0 (R41 clone) that feels like the blade is moving for me. I don't like the over polished handle so I use a different one. This thread has some great images from @luv2shave . I bought copper plates to use with my SB 90 cap and want to pick up an open comb at some point. I keep getting distracted by other new acquisitions.

I like the SB 90 and Att are are great to deal with. The Sb 90 is made with a smaller cap with less blade coverage to "sing" like the classic series. I like the audible sound of it, it's not chatter like a DS Z0 (R41 clone) that feels like the blade is moving for me. I don't like the over polished handle so I use a different one. This thread has some great images from @luv2shave . I bought copper plates to use with my SB 90 cap and want to pick up an open comb at some point. I keep getting distracted by other new acquisitions.
Thanks for the feedback on the razor and the link with the photos. Very helpful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No blade alignment issues with the SB90 plate on my razor.

I have a full set of the Copper plates (CH, CR & CM) which I prefer to the stock SB90 plate.

I can’t wait to try this razor out in the future as well since I really like the classic R1. I wish they still offered the H plate in SS or copper.

The H1 and SB90 have similar blade gap so I wonder how similar they shave. I figure I’ll just keep an eye out for plates for sale or post a WTB but I’m very impressed with the R1. It and the GC84p are my new favorites.

I usually prefer more mild razors then these but they are both so smooth which makes me want to try the heavier plates like the SSRH, H1, SB90.

Top Bottom