What's new

Does the Game changer and Lupo share the same basic "geometry"?

Yeah just wanted to know how similar the Game changer and the Lupo actually are.

What do I mean?

I mean like this. If you look at these baseplates/caps from the side are the angles/distances the same?
Could you fit the Game changer top cap on a Lupo base plate if the blade fixing system was the same?

Can anyone that have both take a pic from the side, side by side?

The reason I'm asking is while the Lupos look cool and all and they get good reviews they are not available with a smooth SB, nor OC (except for the 95 and DC)

And if the only real difference in design/geometry is the scallops in the SB/blade fixing holes/underside of the plate/different lather holes then I think I might just as well get a few new plates for the GC instead. I already have the .84 SB/Jaws.

I find them to shave differently. The Lupo is slightly more aggressive, to me. They are both great razors.

Lupo 72 on the left, Game Changer 84-P on the right.

20220525_181822.jpg

20220525_182621.jpg

Last edited:
I have the .84 sb GC and the Lupo DC (.72 oc and .95 sb).

From the few modern razors that I've tried, these two are my favorite. The GC is extremely smooth with a decent amount of efficiency and if it was a slightly more efficient, it would have been my perfect razor. With the Lupo I use mostly the .95 side and I find it to be a bit more efficient, but the scalloped pattern on the base plate feels a little bit rough and it's the only thing I don't like about the razor. If somehow Razorock manages to get the best of both razors, I think they can make an even better razor that I'm sure most will love to bits.

but the scalloped pattern on the base plate feels a little bit rough and it's the only thing I don't like about the razor.

This is what I keep reading. I think for me the best would be a completely smooth SB and then if i want a more aggressive one a regular OC.
The scalloped SB seems like neither.

Lately I've been gravitating to smooth SBs over OC. It just seems more forgiving for me.

Btw if its .68, .72, .84, .95 etc etc doesn't really matter that much to me since I like to play around with shims. So I feel I can tune them up if needed.

Today I put 2 shims (0,25mm) under the .84, = "GC .109" :)

Wouldn't recommend it to be honest. R41 territory!
Not harsh but you really have to be careful. The razor now has quite a bit of exposure.

This is what I keep reading. I think for me the best would be a completely smooth SB and then if i want a more aggressive one a regular OC.
The scalloped SB seems like neither.

Lately I've been gravitating to smooth SBs over OC. It just seems more forgiving for me.

True. Although I would prefer a smooth bar I also wouldn't mind if the pattern isn't very deep and rough. The main reason why I like the Lupo is because it's very efficient and still smooth enough, but that scalloped bar is awful imho and I also don't like the feel of the open comb side as well and that's the reason why I haven't bought the GC open comb and the Jaws versions. I can already tell just by looking at the teeth that I'm not going to like them.

Just did a shootout with my Rocca and GC84 SB, unshimmed this time :) new Personna blades.

Exactly the same BBS result after a 3 pass. I need touchups in the same places. Maybe the Rocca removes ever so slightly more on the first 2 passes. Maybe. They feel very different though. And sound different.

I would want something slightly less aggressive than these for days that I'm a bit sore.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The reason I'm asking is while the Lupos look cool and all and they get good reviews they are not available with a smooth SB, nor OC (except for the 95 and DC)
I have both razors and I personally prefer the Lupo.72 over the Game Changer.84 when using a standard Gillette blades and the results are what I'm mainly after.
The Lupo is made of SS 316 like the GC and I find it easier to load and remove blades, great for under the nose area and clamping might be a little better IMO because of great clamp design near the blade edge.
I like to use my RR GC.84 with a extra wide Kai SS blade to give it a little more aggression and efficentcy and with that blade it shaves similar to the Lupo. GC.84 is slightly smoother(using a standard blade) because it has less blade exposure than the Lupo.
The reason the safety bar on my Lupo.72 is scalloped is to allow more lather to reach the blade edge, so depending what technique you use riding the bar or riding the cap it should out preform a non scalloped safety bar. I find the safety bar not a issue for discomfort(more comfortable than a open comb razor). Both razors are solid buys regardless for a stainless steel razor and the quality control is very high for finish and precision machining IMO.
I believe that Razorock just came out with a Lupo.95 open comb also recently if your prefer OC razors.
A old archived photo when I first bought my 2nd generation Razorock Lupo razor when they where first introduced in Jan 2021.
Lupo collage #3.jpg

I just used my Lupo.72 this morning for my daily shave!
DE SOTD, May 25th 2022

Razor : Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo.72, Mfg 2021> excellent mid range, 316 stainless constructed, excellent design for under the nose area, I get some of the best shaves with this DE razor and mostly carefree shaving + no blade tabs sticking out.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(1) excellent blade, sharp & smoooth + reasonable longevity.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice mild scent + excellent lather qualities. Makes great ubber lather(mixed in remnants of previous soap.
Brush : Yaqi black marble 24mm silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Pinaud clubman with witch hazel.
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 with a Gillette 7oClock SP.
SOTD May 25 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I don't have a GC but I do have a Lupo .72 and the aluminum version. I don't see similarities between the GC and Lupo (at least in pictures).
I picked the Lupo because it seems very flat in terms of how the blade sits and I like that.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Today I put 2 shims (0,25mm) under the .84, = "GC .109" :)

Wouldn't recommend it to be honest. R41 territory!
Not harsh but you really have to be careful. The razor now has quite a bit of exposure.
If a person wants a little more blade feel or blade exposure I would suggest a Kai SS blade over shimming any day.
Good to have a few tucks for mild razors or razors that you want more blade feel.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

I'm sure it's an individual preference thing, like everything else.

I own GC .68p, 84p, and 84oc. I like the 84p better than the others, but that gets nudged out of the lead by the Lupo .72.

Lupo .95oc takes the lead by a long shot. Smooth and efficient! It turned my shoddy 2 pass or decent 3 pass with touchups shave routine into a smooth 2 pass with touchups shave routine. The ritual got shorter, but somehow more enjoyable!

Top Bottom