What's new

Does the Futur Come in a Special Case

I am currently truing to dsell a Merkur Futur in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5531
A member was ready to make a purchase until he found out the razor just had a regular cardboard box. I know the Vision comes with a tin case, but is the Futur available with a case like this?
I am just curious to see if I am asking too much for this razor because of the packaging.

Hi Jim - It comes in a cardboard box like the HD does. There are two foam pads and a pamphlet that describes how to change the blade, along with the blade that comes with it. Nothing fancy.

Dennis

Hmmm...
I think your buyer may be simply misinformed? I bought my Futur brand new in the mall, and it only comes in a cardboard box with Merkur labelling on it, or at least that is what mine came in, along with a blade. I have since traded mine away (I prefer the old Gillette DE's to it)
There is a leather case, etc. which is available for the Futur, but it does not to my knowledge come with it. Perhaps your buyer will understand this when he endeavors to purchase a new one and the nifty case is not included....
Perhaps you could send him a link to classicshaving or lee's razors (any of the etailers will do, but make sure it has the case for sale) so he can purchase his own...or at least the case.
Hope this helps
John P.

Thanks Guys,

I had never seen a picture of the Futur with a case so I just assumed it came in the cardboard box. Now I know for sure.

The potential buyer was me and according to the following UK sellers;

http://www.tonesbarbershop.co.uk/shavingRazors2.htm

and

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/merkur-futur-safety-razor.html

The Futur comes in a gift tin which I ssume is similar to the Vision's. Also there is a Uk seller on eBay with a mirror chrome version for sale complete with tin here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....90025480582&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

This might very well be a just a simple case of US getting the box and the Europe getting a tin. Sorry but I do not know if there are any other differences.

Hi,

I bought my Futur from the Gentlemans Shop 3 weeks ago and it definately came in gift tin. I'll take a photo of it and post it up when I've had my dinner (which is on the table).

Iwan :smile:

Edit: Here you go, Futur in tin with 10 pack of blades, bought from UK retailer.

proxy.php

Perhaps this is a sitaution where Merkur only provides European retailers with the tin case. My guess is the shipping costs to U.S. retailers is too high with the extra packaging. The Futur also only comes with one blade in the U.S. as opposed to ten frm the European retailers.

Mine came in the cardboard box, bought here in the UK.

Not a problem to me as I shave with the razor, not the tin!

Gareth

This is what you get in the U.S. I think only the European market gets the tin case or maybe they just begun offering it in the tin case.

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Futur (from Classic Shaving) came in cardboard box with one (1) Merkur razor. OTOH, it's a very nice razor. The Vision did come in a tin, which IMHO is fairly worthless: what do I do with it now?

Leisureguy said:
My Futur (from Classic Shaving) came in cardboard box with one (1) Merkur razor. OTOH, it's a very nice razor. The Vision did come in a tin, which IMHO is fairly worthless: what do I do with it now?

The Vision or the tin? :biggrin:

Iwan said:
Hi,

I bought my Futur from the Gentlemans Shop 3 weeks ago and it definately came in gift tin. I'll take a photo of it and post it up when I've had my dinner (which is on the table).

Iwan :smile:

Edit: Here you go, Futur in tin with 10 pack of blades, bought from UK retailer.

proxy.php

Ha! If you look closely at the cut-out in the foam, you'll see the outline for the Vision! It's simply a Futur in a Vision tin. I just looked at the foam in my Vision tin, and it's the same as your pic. Also note the gap in the foam at the handle end. And the bulge near the top....the cut out for the Vision's adjusting ring, I do believe.

It's probably just a one size fits all for the vision or the futur. Maybe when the retailers order there stock they can specify if they want the tins or not.

JMT said:
It's probably just a one size fits all for the vision or the futur. Maybe when the retailers order there stock they can specify if they want the tins or not.

Could be, but that's sure a crappy fit for the Futur...at least they could have cut a piece of foam to more closely fit. To me anyway, it's fairly obvious that it's still a Vision tin box.

On page 6 of the Dovo Merkur catalog the Futur is also shown with a tin, but not one with an ill fitting piece of foam as depicted above. If you look at the ordering info, it is available with or without the gift box.

guenron said:
On page 6 of the Dovo Merkur catalog the Futur is also shown with a tin, but not one with an ill fitting piece of foam as depicted above. If you look at the ordering info, it is available with or without the gift box.

What is the price difference?

Top Bottom