What's new

Does the finishing stone matter if you're going to use CrOx or Diamond?

That would suggest to me that the "modern Thuringian" was damaging the edge in significant ways that the pastes had a very difficult time undoing.

10 minutes on paste is absolutely nuts.

Can you please indicate/ clarify what you are using your pastes on.
And lap count
I think carrier and lap count has much to do with final edge.......

Balsa
Felt
Hanging Leather
Bench leather
Cotton
Flax linen
Suede
Nylon
Poly.........

That would suggest to me that the "modern Thuringian" was damaging the edge in significant ways that the pastes had a very difficult time undoing.

10 minutes on paste is absolutely nuts.

I do not think the modern Thuringian was damaging the edge; it just was not refining it enough for my preference. I was using the CrOx to make the edge a lot sharper and a lot smoother. I know that some people can easily shave of an 8K or 10K edge; but I cannot. Even a 12K edge is not sharp enough for me. I really prefer going to 15K-20K and still use pasted strops afterward.

The problem with going that fine is that the edge is so thin that it does not hold up very long. I can only get 5-6 shaves off an edge before it needs refreshing. I keep hearing how people can get 50-100 shaves off a DE blade; I am doing good to get 3-4. With DE blades like them very sharp and very smooth. I like the same thing with straight razor edges.

Top Bottom