What's new

Does the Fatip piccolo special edition come with the "testina gentile" base plate?

I'm considering this razor.
Am I correct in that it comes with the standard OC and the testina gentile plates?
Or are there other heads in not familiar with?

Thanks for the confirmation.
I think I'll go for this razor as I've always been curious about fatip.
I doubt I'll use the OC but since it comes in the kit, I'll consider it a bonus.

You are correct. It contains a Piccolo in gunmetal and gold, plus a Gentile base plate in gold.

I doubt I'll use the OC but since it comes in the kit, I'll consider it a bonus.
No, you have it all wrong.
You will always use the OC, and the Gentile base will live in the 'drawer of shame' along with discarded Muhle bits and pieces that didn't rot.
Seriously, that's how good the OC is. I tried the Gentile base a few times and it was not for me.
The OC is bliss. Smooth, close shaves. You will love it (but do use a decent blade).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the confirmation.
I think I'll go for this razor as I've always been curious about fatip.

If my experience is any indication, you will use the OC plate - a lot.

It is nice, though, to have both. I still use the Gentile plate when the mood strikes.

The Piccolo handle is thinner than I like so my Grande gets more use than my Piccolo.

Have you checked out the wood handled FaTips?

20191224_113956~2.jpg

The Schöne razors and the Joris razors are also made by FaTip.

1. The OC configuration dispels the myth that all OC razors are aggressive. A smooth and close shave for me.
2. But when I want crazy smooth, I love the closed comb.
3. I thought I would not like the Piccolo handle, because thin. But it's quite dense and heavy for its size.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No, you have it all wrong.
You will always use the OC, and the Gentile base will live in the 'drawer of shame' along with discarded Muhle bits and pieces that didn't rot.
Seriously, that's how good the OC is. I tried the Gentile base a few times and it was not for me.
The OC is bliss. Smooth, close shaves. You will love it (but do use a decent blade).

It is nice, though, to have both. I still use the Gentile plate when the mood strikes.

The Piccolo handle is thinner than I like so my Grande gets more use than my Piccolo.

View attachment 1063068

I'll definitely try the OC for sure, since it's coming in the set but from previous experience with all sorts of OC razors, my skin really dislikes OC.

I haven't looked at the Wooden handles as I really like the look of the special edition. Plus I like short heavy handles, like the 3 inch handle on the Karve razor.

1. The OC configuration dispels the myth that all OC razors are aggressive. A smooth and close shave for me.
2. But when I want crazy smooth, I love the closed comb.
3. I thought I would not like the Piccolo handle, because thin. But it's quite dense and heavy for its size.

Cool, I'll check out your channel for fatip videos specifically.

Which razors/settings would you compare to the gentile head?

My opinion....

Gentile head may be equal , in feel, to...

Rockwell 1
Karve A
Fat boy 1-2

But may actually cut closer than all three, while being just as smooth.

Smoother than a pre-war Tech.

Just as smooth as a game changer 68, but a much closer cut.

Reactions: nav

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'll definitely try the OC for sure, since it's coming in the set but from previous experience with all sorts of OC razors, my skin really dislikes OC.
I am gonna chime in and say that you will probably change your mind about OC razors once you try the Piccolo SE.

The gentile head is very capable of giving close comfortable shaves, but I find it has a very narrow operating range. If you miss the angle by just a bit, it won't cut a thing. A GC68P is more forgiving.

Which OC razors have you tried?

My opinion....

Gentile head may be equal , in feel, to...

Rockwell 1
Karve A
Fat boy 1-2

But may actually cut closer than all three, while being just as smooth.

Smoother than a pre-war Tech.

Just as smooth as a game changer 68, but a much closer cut.

Which Karve plate would you say is equal to the efficiency of the gentile?

The feel of A with the efficiency of D would be a dream razor!

I am gonna chime in and say that you will probably change your mind about OC razors once you try the Piccolo SE.

The gentile head is very capable of giving close comfortable shaves, but I find it has a very narrow operating range. If you miss the angle by just a bit, it won't cut a thing. A GC68P is more forgiving.

Which OC razors have you tried?

I've used a few of the vintage Gillette open combs, Yaqi, Karve D/OC and a couple of others I can't recall right now as it's been years.

I could use the Karve F plate just fine but didn't get on with the D open comb. Just something about open comb my skin dislikes but I'll see if the fatip can change that.

But my decision on the fatip will be based on the feedback I read of efficiency on the gentile plate.

Yeah, I'd say the Gentile has the feel of the A plate with the efficiency of the C or D plates.

It's really a magical little razor. Its only weaknesses are occasional quality control issues and the fact that you have to lineup the blade yourself . But I think one gets fairly practiced with the latter and it becomes a nonissue.

Yeah, I'd say the Gentile has the feel of the A plate with the efficiency of the C or D plates.

It's really a magical little razor. Its only weaknesses are occasional quality control issues and the fact that you have to lineup the blade yourself . But I think one gets fairly practiced with the latter and it becomes a nonissue.

Fantastic...Thanks heaps!
I'm really looking forward to the gentile now (and getting more curious about the OC too!).

For me the Gentile plate makes the razor super smooth (smoother than a DE89), but the range of cutting angles is narrow (IME shallow/neutral). Keep it within range and it can shave very close (similar to a GC .84). The Karve CB razor does not work for me, but from memory I would say that the Piccolo with the closed comb plate shaves like plate C but smoother. Take the last comment with a pinch of salt of course, as it's been a while since I used my Karve.

The open comb offers more blade feel, it can be used at steeper angles if that's your thing and somehow it remains very, very smooth. For me it is the easiest-to-use OC razor that I have, suitable for daily shaves.

One caveat to keep in mind about the special edition is that the gunmetal plating can wear out pretty fast, especially on the cap. If you like your razors in pristine condition then perhaps the new closed comb version of the Piccolo might be a better option, albeit without the OC plate.

View attachment 1063068

Lovely collection!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me the Gentile plate makes the razor super smooth (smoother than a DE89), but the range of cutting angles is narrow (IME shallow/neutral). Keep it within range and it can shave very close (similar to a GC .84). The Karve CB razor does not work for me, but from memory I would say that the Piccolo with the closed comb plate shaves like plate C but smoother. Take the last comment with a pinch of salt of course, as it's been a while since I used my Karve.

The open comb offers more blade feel, it can be used at steeper angles if that's your thing and somehow it remains very, very smooth. For me it is the easiest-to-use OC razor that I have, suitable for daily shaves.

One caveat to keep in mind about the special edition is that the gunmetal plating can wear out pretty fast, especially on the cap. If you like your razors in pristine condition then perhaps the new closed comb version of the Piccolo might be a better option, albeit without the OC plate.

Thanks for the helpful comparison!
I'm pretty much convinced I'll like the gentile...and now I'm REALLY curious about the OC too.

Regarding finish, I'm not too concerned about the plating as it's brass underneath. The razor is durable and if it shaves well, plating loss is not too big an issue for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
+1

I recently bought the SE Piccolo and thought I'd use the Gentile plate daily, and occasionally use the OC.

I tried the Gentile a few times, then the OC. The Gentile plate hasn't been used since and the OC is now my daily shave!

It's smoother and more efficient than the Gentile IMO.

Top Bottom