What's new

Does the (early Super Speed) Aristocrat Junior and Ranger Tech's shave the same ?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if those with experience can tell me if the aforementioned Razors shave alike ? These Razors (appear) to LOOK (more or less) the same design so, do they all shave the same ? Now, I shaved for the first time using my Aristocrat Junior with a Gillette NACET Blade the other day. The shave was super smooth and I THOUGHT I was getting a CLOSE shave however, once I finished my shave and put on my Eye glasses, yikes, a lot of Whiskers remained around my Mouth & Chin area. I removed the NACET blade from the AJ and placed it in my ABC handle Pocket Edition Gillette Old Type. The Old Type REALLY took care of business!

Now, I often use my 1941 Ranger Tech (with Red Personna blade) and I always receive a fantastic/close/clean shave!
To my Eyes, I don't see too much differences in the design of the Ranger Tech and the AJ yet, the Ranger Tech always shaves beautifully (truly one of my favorite razors) whereas the AJ (while silky smooth) had difficulty removing three day worth of beard growth. Granted, I was using a different (new to me first use) Gillette NACET blade which I found to be SUPER sharp and smooth/outstanding cutter. I REALLY loved the NACET blade. That being said, I don't THINK the blade is at fault in this situation since once I re-shaved the problem areas using the ABC Old Type (with the NACET blade) I ended up with a DFS! Close shave would be an understatement. So therefore, I concluded that the Aristocrat Junior is just NOT aggressive enough for heavier beards. The AJ however IS beautifully silky smooth and I suspect would make an excellent daily driver. So, am I wrong in my thinking/conclusions ? Am I not understanding that (despite looking similar) the 40's Super Speed, Aristocrat Junior and the 1941 Ranger Tech are indeed very different type shavers ? I look forward to hearing from the experts! Thank you.

SixCats!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Ranger Tech is one of my favorite TTOs.

The British Aristocrat is one of my favorite TTOs.

But they don't shave the same. ;)

Hello @never-stop-learning

I agree, my 1941 Ranger Tech is a thing of beauty and such an excellent shaver.

When I compare the RT next to the Aristocrat Junior next to the NDC 40's Super Speed,

they all look (more or less) alike. Now, I understand that the British Aristocrat with it's heavier/thicker

handle would shave differently (if nothing else due to weight) but, what about the aforementioned three Razors ?

Are there any real differences in their performance/shaving abilities ? As I mentioned earlier, my RT sure shaved

a lot closer than did the AJ however, I don't know if this is due to my using a different blade (Gillette NACET)

or not. Also, I have a bunch of Super Speed circa 50'5-60's, Red Tip, TV Special, etc. I have not shaved with

any of my (50's) Super Speeds so I don't have any idea what to expect on any one of their performance.

SixCats!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello @never-stop-learning

I agree, my 1941 Ranger Tech is a thing of beauty and such an excellent shaver.

When I compare the RT next to the Aristocrat Junior next to the NDC 40's Super Speed,

they all look (more or less) alike. Now, I understand that the British Aristocrat with it's heavier/thicker

handle would shave differently (if nothing else due to weight) but, what about the aforementioned three Razors ?

Are there any real differences in their performance/shaving abilities ? As I mentioned earlier, my RT sure shaved

a lot closer than did the AJ however, I don't know if this is due to my using a different blade (Gillette NACET)

or not. Also, I have a bunch of Super Speed circa 50'5-60's, Red Tip, TV Special, etc. I have not shaved with

any of my (50's) Super Speeds so I don't have any idea what to expect on any one of their performance.

SixCats!

The only way I know to determine how a razor shaves is to shave with it.

The Ranger Tech seemed, to me, to be the more 'forward' shaver.

YMMV

I find the 41 RT shaves a bit closer than my USA Jr. The Jr I think is just about the same shave wise as the 48/50s. For me they are all smooth and give a DFS with ease. Great razors for daily use. 1116190810.jpg

Hi guys,

N-S-L, yes indeed. Shaving with the said Razor is the only REALLY true test. I was just wondering how this might play out before hand. In an Nutshell, I suspect that NONE of the TTO/Super Speed type Razors will ever shave as close as my "Old Type" Gillette Razors.....then again, perhaps I'm wrong. My FATBOY sure do shaves beautifully. I've only set my FATBOY on "5" when using the FATBOY and I receive a most excellent shave. I'm not sure what to expect from my RED TIP (A-3) 1955.

SixCats!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys,

N-S-L, yes indeed. Shaving with the said Razor is the only REALLY true test. I was just wondering how this might play out before hand. In an Nutshell, I suspect that NONE of the TTO/Super Speed type Razors will ever shave as close as my "Old Type" Gillette Razors.....then again, perhaps I'm wrong. My FATBOY sure do shaves beautifully. I've only set my FATBOY on "5" when using the FATBOY and I receive a most excellent shave. I'm not sure what to expect from my RED TIP (A-3) 1955.

SixCats!
Red Tip is a wonderful razor. Very efficient. You should be able to get a nice close shave. :)

Depends which Super Speed. There are 2 variations of the early one both are different shavers.
superspeed2.jpg
One on the left is a 48 and the one on the right is 47/48.

The right one with the same style base plate is similar but not the same to a 41 or 46 ranger tech or 41 and 46 Milords. It is like a slightly milder and smoother shaving version of the ranger tech.

The one on the left with the same base plate as the US 48 Aristocrat Jr and 48 Milord is a better shaver than both, it is more aggressive along the lines of the 48 - 54 super speeds. The Aristocrat Jr and the 48 Milord with the same style razor are the mildest of the bunch.

notchss.jpg
The 48 - 54 Super Speeds (pictured above) and 48 - 54 Milords are different from all these, they are the most aggressive of the bunch and least efficient shavers. They are aggressive in that they tug and scrape on hair when cutting because the lack of efficiency unlike the earler ranger techs which cut through hair especially thick and coarse hair like butter.

Keep in mind if you set the bar low enough or your hair is thin and fine enough the differences between the razors will be less pronounced to not noticeable. They may all get you to the finish line but that doesn't mean they all took the same route to get there in the way they are designed to cut hair.

@BBS-1, THANK YOU Sir for providing your most excellent information! No doubt this info will prove useful (not only to me) but to other members as well. I must confess however, I will have to closely STUDY in detail your photographs and compare with my Super Speeds as it's still a bit overwhelming (all the small details/year models).

SixCats!

Hi all,

@BBS-1, I just went through all my (early) Super Speed/Aristocrat Junior/and Ranger Tech.

I have the following :

X-3 1952 Super Speed
Y-1 & Y-4 Super Speed
Z-1 Super Speed (times two)
NDC Super Speed (times two)
NO NOTCH/ARISTOCRAT JUNIOR (times two)
1941 Ranger Tech (one "user" and one "Safe Queen")

I have only so far shaved with my "user" 1941 Ranger Tech and my Aristocrat Junior. The Ranger Tech is without a doubt one of my FAVORITE Razors and shaved MUCH closer than my Aristocrat Junior.
Might you be able to suggest (from my list) which Razor might shave (at least as good) as my '41 Ranger Tech ?

SixCats!

Hi all,

@BBS-1, I just went through all my (early) Super Speed/Aristocrat Junior/and Ranger Tech.

I have the following :

X-3 1952 Super Speed
Y-1 & Y-4 Super Speed
Z-1 Super Speed (times two)
NDC Super Speed (times two)
NO NOTCH/ARISTOCRAT JUNIOR (times two)
1941 Ranger Tech (one "user" and one "Safe Queen")

I have only so far shaved with my "user" 1941 Ranger Tech and my Aristocrat Junior. The Ranger Tech is without a doubt one of my FAVORITE Razors and shaved MUCH closer than my Aristocrat Junior.
Might you be able to suggest (from my list) which Razor might shave (at least as good) as my '41 Ranger Tech ?

SixCats!

Like I said depends your bar level and type of hair. If it is high enough and hair coarse enough then none of them will match the Ranger Tech.

To save you some time unless you want to use all them, those Super Speeds will all shave exactly the same assuming they don't have mechanical issues. The only ones that might be different are the NDC ones if they are 47 or 47/48 ones I posted pictures of. The details of what makes what are circled on the pictures.

To explain the differences first look at the center bar where you load the razor. If it is notched it as 48 - 50 Super Speed when it has no date code. If it isn't then it is either a 47 or 47/48 Super Speed.

If the center bar isn't notched then you need to look at the safety bar to determine is it a 47 or 47/48. If the guard is curved like the Ranger Tech base plate it is a 47. If it is creased like the 48 - 50 NDC Super Speeds or the date coded Super Speeds base plates then it is a 47/48. That crease was a manufacturing revision on all razors the way they bent the guards on all one piece razors from 1948 and up. The notched center bar came afterwards in 1948 and was also a manufacturing revision on all one piece razors

That creased safety bar also caused the razors to shave differently until they retweaked the designs when they added the notch to the center bar to load blades by hooking them on the bar as they came out of the dispenser. When they creased that safety guard it changed not only the shave plane where the razor blade crosses to shave your face, it changed the blade gap and angle of contact on the face. All the razors including the Aristocrat/Aristocrat Jr got milder in 1948 until they retweaked the razor heads later in 1948 when they added the notched center bar on the razors.

Hi @never-stop-learning, today I shaved for the first time using my RED TIP. You were indeed correct, the Red Tip was a lovely shaver being smooth and more efficient than my Aristocrat Junior. I very much enjoyed using the Red Tip which I think could be used in my rotation as a (every other day) driver. I found the Red Tip did NOT do quite as good a job as my 1941 Ranger Tech at removing ALL whiskers. I had to re-do a few small areas around my Mouth & Chin to clean up/finish. The Red Tip DID do a better job at removing whiskers than my AJ. I believe I will more often use the Red Tip (and other "milder" Razors) a bit more often as I've been a bit too rough on the old Face recently and I need a little bit of time for my Face to heal. That being said, on the whole, I tend to like the more aggressive Razors however, no doubt my shaving with the likes of the Red Tip (and such) will be in order. Oooh, I am in LOVE with the Gillette NACET blades! Wow!

SixCats!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi @never-stop-learning, today I shaved for the first time using my RED TIP. You were indeed correct, the Red Tip was a lovely shaver being smooth and more efficient than my Aristocrat Junior. I very much enjoyed using the Red Tip which I think could be used in my rotation as a (every other day) driver. I found the Red Tip did NOT do quite as good a job as my 1941 Ranger Tech at removing ALL whiskers. I had to re-do a few small areas around my Mouth & Chin to clean up/finish. The Red Tip DID do a better job at removing whiskers than my AJ. I believe I will more often use the Red Tip (and other "milder" Razors) a bit more often as I've been a bit too rough on the old Face recently and I need a little bit of time for my Face to heal. That being said, on the whole, I tend to like the more aggressive Razors however, no doubt my shaving with the likes of the Red Tip (and such) will be in order. Oooh, I am in LOVE with the Gillette NACET blades! Wow!

SixCats!

Very glad you enjoyed the Red Tip. :)

If I may suggest? CeraVe Moisturizing Cream is really good at helping your face (or any other area of your epidermis) heal from irritation, dryness, etc. Really works for me. Here is a link from Amazon:

CeraVe Moisturizing Cream | 19 Ounce | Daily Face and Body Moisturizer for Dry Skin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TTD9BRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pwD0DbS0VXWNJ

My preference, overall, is for milder razors like the Tech. Occasionally, though, I do like to shave with aggressive razors. :)

Keep having fun and learning. :)

Thanks @never-stop-learning! I will check out the link you provided for sure. I may have to shave with some of my milder Razors just for a short period of time in the meantime. I too have some very nice examples of TECH's to try out. Also, I've never yet shaved using my SLIM ADJUSTABLE. I've read somewhere that it's pretty close in shave to a FATBOY ? I guess I'll find out before too long. Oooh, I LOVE my FATBOY! I have it set on "5" and it's worked wonderfully at that setting. I've notice that (on the whole) I tend to like HEAVIER Razors such as my FATBOY, BIGBOY, BARBASOL Floating Head, etc. Then again, I also LOVE all my much less heavy "Old Types", Single Ring, 41 Ranger Tech, Sheraton, etc. I suppose the only Razors that I've had some issues with (as much as I LOVE the looks/style) are the NEW DELUXE & NEW IMPROVED. I'm not sure why but, I always seem to get "bit" (albeit small nicks) using this style of Razor. Ummmmm......

SixCats!

when it comes to the early tto razors before 1950, MANY of the American ones were using components that were made for the ranger tech and earlier American tto tech razor of closed bar design.

As components ran out, they simply made new versions of them. So a lot of your early tto techs will be a piece of every generation if your lucky.

Top Bottom