What's new

Does the Blade Width Matter?

Some time, you really shauld give a 4/8 a try.

Absolutely! Probably on the same day you tell me how much you like the 8/8 wedge. :a30:

Seriously though... You may be correct about the 4/8, but I honestly have no interest when there are so many wider blades for me to try. I'll likely never try uni sushi either because I enjoy so many other varieties already. Totally a personal preference thing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Absolutely! Probably on the same day you tell me how much you like the 8/8 wedge. :a30:

Seriously though... You may be correct about the 4/8, but I honestly have no interest when there are so many wider blades for me to try. I'll likely never try uni sushi either because I enjoy so many other varieties already. Totally a personal preference thing.
Well, since you put a wedgie into the mix, I'll go along with you and I agree - there are so many yet to try. I do wish you hadn't mentioned sushi though.
:a24:

Oddly I picked all 4/8 and 5/8 for my week. If I had a single size to stick with I'd say 6/8. I also think it just seems cool to have larger blades. I used my 10/8 a few weeks ago and that was different. It did very well but not an everyday shaver. As to the 4/8. I feel they would be best for barbers for the easy handling. Aslo the beginner . Good luck

I think light 4/8" razors have real merit as a learning tool. I like my 5/8" a bit more after some important breakthroughs, but I really feel that the ultra responsive lightweight little guy taught my hands a lot about how to hold and use a straight razor. I am a lot less hamfisted after trying one out.

Maybe that would have come with time and experience anyway, but I think very light razors can be a big help in the learning curve.

I faced my fears and used it. I was happy my hand wasn't shakingfrom the fear. I have a half mustache. So I only shave top half under the nose.it actually wasn't bad at all. To be honest I've yet to try my Gillette as I have a fear of slicing my face. I still don't see the " safety" part of it.

Ironically, I don't consider a 4/8 to be a better learning razor and the reason is the angle necessary is not as obvious as a larger width blade. Since angle is an essential element, having a narrow blade would be better in the hands of an experienced user.

I believe large is better stems from the same mentality that fat handed DE razors are preferred. They simply look manly. I prefer a 5/8, 9/16, and 11/16. I enjoy owning a 13/16, but it is limited for detail work.

That’s a good observation on the angle, and I wonder if it isn’t maybe optimal to have a couple of souses on hand to really learn at optimal pace. By the time I borrowed the little one, angle was really less of a concern, and handling was what I needed help with, but angle is also critically important.

Also, quite an interesting theory about looking manly - I forget to factor that in a lot. You could be onto something.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I still haven’t decided what to think about seeing the blade angle on a 4/8 when learning. To me, 4/8 and 5/8 are just easier to shave with. My first razor was a 4/8 and the only thing I didn’t like about it was the Spanish point I kept stabbing myself with.

That’s a good observation on the angle, and I wonder if it isn’t maybe optimal to have a couple of souses on hand to really learn at optimal pace. By the time I borrowed the little one, angle was really less of a concern, and handling was what I needed help with, but angle is also critically important.

Also, quite an interesting theory about looking manly - I forget to factor that in a lot. You could be onto something.

When I look at the 19th century catalogues and what is generally available, it’s 9/16 and 5/8. The large one sometimes said for barbers only. I could see barber wanting the weight to cut off several days grow of even a beard. I cannot imagine they would want one that wide for general shaving .

Last edited:
I cannot imagine they would want one that wide for general shaving .

Wider blades have more area to accumulate lather which means fewer trips to the sink/towel/sponge. In other words, wider blades offer more efficiency in movement. Certainly a quality to be prized by professionals.

Wider blades have more area to accumulate lather which means fewer trips to the sink/towel/sponge. In other words, wider blades offer more efficiency in movement. Certainly a quality to be prized by professionals.

How many professionals have validated these advantages ? How many wide shavetts are for sale?

Is it time to agree that all the different widths, styles, toes, etc., are all there because there is no one best design? It's all a matter of personal preference and YMMV. Over time we should all expect our preferences to change as our proficiency and experience grow and our skin, beard, and even face shape change.

And even recommendations for beginners can't account for an individual's personal propensity to monitor angle, pressure, blade feel, audible feedback, etc. Different blade characteristics will be important for different individuals.

So, IMHO, there's no *BEST*. There are only personal recommendations by experienced users based on their individual experiences, preferences, and style.

Is it time to agree that all the different widths, styles, toes, etc., are all there because there is no one best design? It's all a matter of personal preference and YMMV. Over time we should all expect our preferences to change as our proficiency and experience grow and our skin, beard, and even face shape change.

And even recommendations for beginners can't account for an individual's personal propensity to monitor angle, pressure, blade feel, audible feedback, etc. Different blade characteristics will be important for different individuals.

So, IMHO, there's no *BEST*. There are only personal recommendations by experienced users based on their individual experiences, preferences, and style.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay and I agree. I thought maybe you had access to some old shaving manuals .

I've been looking at auctions and old catalogues. The sizes listed are, 4/8, 5/8, 6/8. There are exceptions. Even barber's special sizes tend toward 9/16 and 5/8.

Top Bottom