What's new

Does Tabac Bar Soap smell sufficiently different to the rest of the product line?

The smell of this shaving soap seems to be loved by many, even to the point of cult following. So, with that in mind, and hazy memories of Tabac aftershave from the early 80s, I decided to take the plunge. I ordered the roll on, bar soap, EDC, balm and shaving puck.

So far only the bar soap has arrived.

But why don't I like the smell of this soap bar though? I can't figure out why. My brother used the aftershave back in the day when we were teenagers with crazy hairdos and girls all around, and from memory I'm sure it was a hit. Maybe my memory got skewed or something but now, as a fast approaching 50-year old, I can't quite get into how this bar soap smells.

I use the soap in my drawer to scent my undershirt for the next day at work; it hasn't been near any water yet. I wrap an it in the undershirt for approx 24 hours and the scent seems to last all of the next day. Also, at home, I keep the packet it came in beside me and occasionally the scent from it whafts up. Periodically I'll bring it to my nose to further try to get used to it. No dice yet though.

Am I expecting too much hoping that the shaving soap, roll on, balm and EDC will be different enough to the bar soap?

cheers, joe

IMHO all Tabac products are a slight variation of the Tabac signature scent. The EdC is a bit different from the after shave which differs fron the shaving soap. They belong to the same family, but don't smell exactly the same. That's the way I experience the Tabac product line.

@McKinneys That kinda makes sense and was what I was hoping for. I really hope I can get into the other Tabac bits 'n bobs cos I'm still struggling with the soap despite it sitting beside me and occasionally whafting up. And no matter how well the soap performs, if I don't like the scent then I probably won't use it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for replying .

I came to enjoy the subtle differences in the Tabac scents. My most favorite is the shaving soap & both the shaving soap and the soap bar are excellent performers.

Update re the question in the title of this thread.

Okay, so I haven't used the bar soap in water yet as the jury is still out on the old lady in it. However, today the postman was good to me - my Tabac balm, roll on and EDC arrived, as well as my first ever razor, brush, blades and stand.

So, re the scent of the Tabac line; some first impressions:

Tabac Original Aftershave Balm: I'm glad to report I quite like it and I have a feeling the the scent may grow on me even more. Also, it feels good on the skin and doesn't leave me feeling like I have greasy (or dry) skin. The tube looks small (75ml or 2.5 FL. OZ. for $15.40 excluding postage) but I only needed a tiny amount to cover the whole of my freshly cleaned face. Scent Verdict: So far, so good.

Tabac Original Eau De Cologne 150ml 150 ml for $16.50 exc postage: Nosing the bottle I don't get the old lady but I'm not sure what I get. Actually, I'm not what I was expecting given my memory of Tabac is from around 35 years ago, nevertheless, the old lady I got in the soap is absent. I applied a shake to both arms - in the forearm area - and it doesn't smell much like the balm. I think I need to put more on and not pull the sleeves of my fleece down over it as I'm sure doing so will alter the smell. Anyway, what I get at this point with the EDC I'm not keen on possibly due to the factors just mentioned. Scent Verdict: Very undecided. The jury is definitely still out on the EDC.

Tabac Original Roll-On-Deodorant 75ml for $8.20: Unfortunately when the package arrived and I put my nose to it I could smell "something". Yep, you've guessed it, the top of the roll on wasn't tightly screwed on and leaked a little. I haven't tried it yet, but on unscrewing the cap I don't get much Tabac. I'm guessing this will change on application to the skin. Fingers crossed I won't be greeted by the same smell from the bar soap. Scent Verdict: Don't know yet but will update if anyone's interested in the roll on.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post links but the products above were bought from carethy dot net.

Tabac Original Bar Soap bought from dressinn in Germany for $7 and the same again for postage: Arrived a few days ago and immediately I didn't like it because of the old lady's purse that many describe it as. This was my first dealing with Tabac in any form for roughly 35 years and as it was my first exposure to the fragrance in such a long time I was left feeling I had wasted $100 odd dollars (as I ordered the full product line and shipping to Japan was dear). After receiving the bits 'n bobs detailed above the bar soap seems like the odd one out so far. Again, I haven't used it for the purpose it was designed for, washing, and have only used it in my drawer to scent my undershirt for next day at work. It's very good at that, but the smell I still can't get by the smell of old lady. Sorry to keep describing it like that but nothing else springs to mind as I write this. Scent Verdict: I think I'm a long way from giving the scent in this bar soap a thumbs up. I'll revisit it regularly and if anything changes, I'll update this thread.

I'm just awaiting shaving soap now (plus a number of other artisan soaps).

Maybe this will be useful for anyone else thinking of buying the Tabac line who isn't that familiar with the scent of the bar soap vs. the other bits 'n bobs.

Cheers, joe

IMG_2119.jpg

Is there much similarity in the scent of the Tabac bar soap to its shaving soap counterpart?

Just a shot in the dark as I don't know if you've tried it, but just in case you have, do you think the Tabac bar soap smells anything like Imperial Leather soap? I just got a Tabac shaving puck in the mail the other day and I could swear I got some similar notes from it to Imperial Leather.

Hi @BlueTomorrow

Is there much similarity in the scent of the Tabac bar soap to its shaving soap counterpart?

I haven't received my shaving soap so can't answer that yet.

Just a shot in the dark as I don't know if you've tried it, but just in case you have, do you think the Tabac bar soap smells anything like Imperial Leather soap? I just got a Tabac shaving puck in the mail the other day and I could swear I got some similar notes from it to Imperial Leather.

Yes, we used to have Imperial Leather in my house growing up (my mum liked it) but tbh I have forgotten what exactly it smells like, however, I'm sure on smelling it again I'd immediately be taken back 35 years. Form my best memory, and of smelling the bar/bath soap, there may be similarities but, having said that, they are very different.

Personally I've decided that Tabac is not for me. I feel there are so many other great scents out there that make me feel excited to try. I'm not excited to try/to wear Tabac. I recently got Son of Zeus bar soap and am awaiting it being restocked by Italian Barber. Can't wait to get my hands on the splash if it's anything like the bar soap. Outstanding, fresh Italian smell.

Hi @BlueTomorrow

I haven't received my shaving soap so can't answer that yet.

Yes, we used to have Imperial Leather in my house growing up (my mum liked it) but tbh I have forgotten what exactly it smells like, however, I'm sure on smelling it again I'd immediately be taken back 35 years. Form my best memory, and of smelling the bar/bath soap, there may be similarities but, having said that, they are very different.

Personally I've decided that Tabac is not for me. I feel there are so many other great scents out there that make me feel excited to try. I'm not excited to try/to wear Tabac. I recently got Son of Zeus bar soap and am awaiting it being restocked by Italian Barber. Can't wait to get my hands on the splash if it's anything like the bar soap. Outstanding, fresh Italian smell.

Ah, I missed that you had not received the shaving soap from your first post. My apologies for overlooking that.

I'll have to get them side by side, but now that you mention it, I took another sniff of my Tabac puck and it is definitely a distinct scent compared to what I remember from Imperial Leather. I do somewhat like the scent of the Tabac shaving soap at least, but I don't think I like it enough to try their other products.

No shame in that! If you don't like something, there's no sense in wasting your time or money on it. I have yet to try Son of Zeus but it does definitely sound like it is up my alley. I'm glad you found something that you really like with it.

I recently got Son of Zeus bar soap and am awaiting it being restocked by Italian Barber. Can't wait to get my hands on the splash if it's anything like the bar soap. Outstanding, fresh Italian smell.

My bad. They have the bar soap, just not the splash which should be arriving the first week in December according to IB.

The Son of Zeus bar soap smells amazing - I just wish it were stronger - and looking at the reviews for the splash, I can't wait to get it. Might buy two bottles ;) The Son of Zeus splash is number 1 on my wishlist followed by the Tombstone splash, then a number of other bits 'n bobs. Just bought 3 of Stirling's balms - Arkadia, Glastonbury and Executive man - form Maggards.

The reason why I can't get excited about Tabac, like I do about Son of Zeus, is because of the so-called old lady I get. I get this mainly from the bar soap and to a lesser extent the other products in the line. It's such a shame as I really wanted to like this (like you and so many others do).

I do somewhat like the scent of the Tabac shaving soap at least

Me too, it's just "that" smell that I can't get by. But I agree, it's got something, just wish it wasn't "that" something. I bought almost the full line of Tabac blind, well 35 years blind if I can say that. Bit silly really but never mind.

For now, I have the Son of Zeus bar soap and the scent, although not so strong, is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait until December when Italian Barber restocks it. Nowhere else will send it to Japan due to not having the permits needed for the air freight of aftershaves with alcohol in it. You should check it out @BlueTomorrow

M

mtcn77

If you don't get it from cologne, but do from the soap that could be due to alcohol volatilizing the heavier notes.

I watched a video review sometime back telling Tabac added a 'floral spice' note without reintroducing the Original. Your dislike might be because the sensation being too predominant when unassisted by alcohol. Smell is an easily tiring sense.

Top Bottom